Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Application Compatibility Chart For Snow Leopard
#2140 08/27/09 07:25 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

David Pogue provided this link to a very extensive compatibility chart for Snow Leopard and various applications. I don't know how recently this site appeared, but it's very interesting.

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

Last edited by dianne; 08/27/09 12:03 PM. Reason: moved from Mac OS X System.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
Re: Application Compatibility Chart For Snow Leopa
JoBoy #2145 08/27/09 10:38 AM

Fantastic! Thanks!

- alec -
Mississauga #2155 08/27/09 12:40 PM

According to David Pogue's review of Snow Leopard, not everything listed is hunky-dory:

I experienced frustrating glitches in various programs, including Microsoft Word, Flip4Mac, Photoshop CS3, CyberDuck and TextExpander, an abbreviation expander.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #2164 08/27/09 04:07 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
According to David Pogue's review of Snow Leopard, not everything listed is hunky-dory:

I experienced frustrating glitches in various programs, including Microsoft Word, Flip4Mac, Photoshop CS3, CyberDuck and TextExpander, an abbreviation expander.

That's an impressive list, but I think I'll sucker for early adoption this time. I do nearly all my word processing on InDesign CS4 and Adobe has said CS4 is OK. As for SuperDuper!, Nanian has said v2.6 will download tomorrow and it is OK. Given that, I'll install to the Sandbox after making my customary three backups of 10.5.8 (two from SD! and one via Time Machine). I usually wait quite awhile, but I have the time to do it right now and I'm curious about size reduction and increased performance.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
JoBoy #2220 08/28/09 01:26 AM

I think I'll stop at SmallDog on the way home from work tomorrow... cool

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #2223 08/28/09 01:39 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Good luck. I imagine that tomorrow's threads will originate from the Eastern Time Zone and points east. By this time tomorrow, we should know a whole lot more about SL than we do right now (unless you're under an NDA and already know what's up).

JoBoy #2239 08/28/09 10:38 AM

Last edited by jchuzi; 08/28/09 10:51 AM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
JoBoy #2257 08/28/09 12:52 PM

I didn't see TechTool Pro in the list, under 'T' or 'M'

Gregg #2264 08/28/09 01:03 PM

I'm sure that MMT3 will jump in but, if I had Snow Leopard, I would not run any utility that that was written before Snow Leopard existed. That's asking for trouble.

Jon

jchuzi #2272 08/28/09 01:58 PM

I would not run any utility until it is certified by the vendor as Snow Leopard compatible. That would include not only Diskwarrior, Drive Genius, and TechTool, but also Cocktail, Onyx, TinkerTool, TinkerTool System, et. al. Even utilities that are generally pretty innocuous such as MacPilot would be on my suspect list. I will disable any and all haxies before installing as well as any GUI modifiers and especially APE (Application Program Enhancer) and anything else from Unsanity. (Note: there have been two APE updates in the last three days.)

I even downloaded a new version of the postage printing application Endicia/Dymo Stamps yesterday "for OS X 10.6 compatibility". Just as happened when Leopard shipped I suspect we will see a lot of minor application updates.

Among the flurry of anticipated application/utility/driver updates, I will not be surprised if we begin to see non-universal (Intel only) versions beginning to appear. The reduced application size, potentially lower development costs, and possible performance improvements using Intel only code should be very attractive to developers.

Even as I was typing this I received notification of preliminary SL updates for TinkerTool and TinkerTool System and compatibility updates for the launcher app Overflow and SuperDuper. At the moment the SuperDuper download seems to be overloaded.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/28/09 02:14 PM. Reason: note updates

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #2273 08/28/09 02:16 PM

Quote:
I will not be surprised if we begin to see non-universal (Intel only) versions beginning to appear.

I agree. And along with the upside for Intel users and devs will come the downside for the many folks still running PPCs. An especially pricey proposition for companies who still have large late-model G5 rollouts, like mine. But none of this is unexpected; that's how things go when you invest in Apple product cycles. Strong legacy support is not the Apple way.

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
donikatz #2281 08/28/09 03:35 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

This thread is a huge help to me as bruised user of software who has no formal IT training.

I just downloaded SuperDuper! 2.6 which I will run on Snow Leopard in the Sandbox to back up my Macintosh HD volume that will remain 10.5.8 until things sort out on 10.6.

Thanks to all of you for this wonderful forum. You're doing a great work. Best regards. smile

JoBoy #2305 08/28/09 06:09 PM

Disk Warrior has just been updated for SL compatibility.

Jon

roger #2372 08/29/09 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: roger
I think I'll stop at SmallDog on the way home from work tomorrow... cool

loaded it in this morning, it took about 45 minutes, and wow! I love it. things feel very much faster!

and to add to a thread in the FAQ forum (which I can't reply in, yet), the dvd is white, with the snow leopard picture on it. seems to be a full install disc. this is the $30 "upgrade" disc.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
jchuzi #2474 08/30/09 09:00 PM

Hi Anybody smirk
I wasn't really ready - financially - yet to get a new macmini for BH, but I was wondering, given some of the "old" applications she runs (e.g. AppleWorks, Audion & others I can't think of at the moment), whether it would be better to get a macmini now before they come pre-installed with SL. crazy I could then purchase SL via "Snow Leopard Up-to-Date Program", install as and when at my convenience, and if compatibility problems occurred I could revert to "plain old" Leopard. cool
I am thinking on these lines on the, perhaps irrelevant, basis that one cannot revert to an older system than that originally installed. confused
Can anyone who has understood what I am trying to get at possibly "point me in the right direction", "put me out of my misery" or in simply tell me I am talking a load of rubbish and that this scenario does not/will not apply.
Looking forward to any - yes any - suggestions. shocked Regards. Mike

MikeS #2496 08/30/09 11:14 PM

Mike your problem will be finding a new Mac of any variety that does not have Snow Leopard installed. Perhaps some large third party retailer may have some pre-Snow Macs in stock, but Apple has been drawing the supply chain down in anticipation of the Snow Leopard release so there won't be that many out there.

There has been a flurry of application updates this past weekend after the developers got their hands on a release copy of Snow but the places you are most likely to encounter problems are drivers, third party preference panes, utilities, plug-ins, and GUI modifiers.

Whatever you decide, my BH suggests talking to your BH in terms of what she is most afraid of losing. Is it access to her information or her sense of competency in what she is doing. Then work on that. The day will come sooner rather than later that AppleWorks will no longer be viable for her. tongue

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #2577 08/31/09 07:55 PM

Hi Joe
Thanks to you and your BH. wink
I think my BH is suffering, unnecessarily, from both points made, as she usually manages to adapt when the time comes.
In hindsight, I'm thinking that I am probably doing her a bit - only a bit tongue - of a dis-service/injustice and am just trying to clarify a few things in advance in my own mind. shocked
There, what an admission. blush
So, in conclusion (hopefully), am I right in "assuming" that one couldn't revert to Leopard on a SL installed machine. Also, is/will Appleworks be a no-no under SL?
Thanks again to the dynanic duo. grin Regards. Mike

joemikeb #2578 08/31/09 08:01 PM

Quote:
Mike your problem will be finding a new Mac of any variety that does not have Snow Leopard installed.

Until Apple releases a hardware refresh, Minis should still be downgradable to Leopard.

donikatz #2579 08/31/09 08:08 PM

Thanks Doni.
Thats a piece of good (and bad) news. grin Possibly damned if I do and damned if I don't. frown
Regards. Mike

MikeS #2582 08/31/09 08:22 PM

Of course that's a "should" not a definitive. Historically Apple usually only changes firmware and/or EFI (bootable) support if they release a hardware refresh, which is something they not-coincidentally often do with the release of a new OS. (Maybe the Sept 9 "Apple event" will coincide with a minor hw refresh?) However, that doesn't mean this time around they won't cripple the firmware and/or EFI of new boxes that roll off the assembly lines to limit Leopard support immediately. It's just an educated guess that they won't go out of their way to do that.

donikatz #2583 08/31/09 08:25 PM

Point taken. Thanks again. Regards. Mike

donikatz #2643 09/01/09 03:09 PM

Well, I've done the dirty deed and ordered a macmini from one of the UK's top stores (John Lewis) who had 3 left in stock, so, hopefully (seems a strange word to use I suppose) it will come without SL. Also they give a free 2 year guarantee. laugh
Now I just have to get my head around transferring stuff across. frown I know it should be straightforward, but the way BH's existing computer is set up, that probably won't be the case. However, in order not to incur the wrath of the mods, I am going to open a new topic called, excitingly, something like "Migrating from PPC to new macmini". See you there? wink
Regards. Mike

joemikeb #5888 11/18/09 07:03 AM

In an entry on their Weblog, Unsanity stated that FruitMenu was under revision for Snow Leopard.

There are 3 kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Sturner #5897 11/18/09 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Sturner
In an entry on their Weblog, Unsanity stated that FruitMenu was under revision for Snow Leopard.

Of course they said that a month and a half ago and if the experience with Leopard is any indicator it'll be another 10 months before there's actually an update. I moved on last time to Butler which does the same thing (only in it's own menu and not the Apple menu) and more for free and I heard works with Snow Leopard.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Kevin M. Dean #5929 11/19/09 08:52 AM

> I moved on last time to Butler which does the same thing (only in it's own menu and not the Apple menu) and more for free and I heard works with Snow Leopard. (Emphasis added)

Just to clarify... Butler is $18 (suggested) donationware (that I consider to be so important to my computing experience that I've made additional donations to match its cost to that of more expensive, less important software I've purchased).

Note: I just noticed that the Butler site does not specify $18, but the "About Butler" window in my 4.1.6 installation does.

Last edited by artie505; 11/19/09 08:58 AM. Reason: Rewrite

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard