FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
External drive takes over the boot
#25937 05/21/13 10:17 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

I have an OWC 320 GB drive partitioned for backups (Super Duper & Time Machine). It contains a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 and is attached by Firewire 800.

If the drive is running, on a reboot my iMac does not boot from the internal drive. It boots instead from the OWC. Consequently I can't leave it running (which defeats the purpose of having Time Machine backups) so I just turn it on when I need a backup.

Sounds like some bit of software needs a tweak but what bit?

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: External drive takes over the boot
ryck #25938 05/21/13 10:51 PM

Check /Apps/Sys Prefs > Startup Disk and see what's selected.

Edit: On both the iMac and the external, I guess.

Last edited by artie505; 05/21/13 11:06 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #25948 05/23/13 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Check /Apps/Sys Prefs > Startup Disk and see what's selected.

Edit: On both the iMac and the external, I guess.

The "Startup Disk" setting is stored in PRAM aka NVRAM. It's independent of the drive. (It has to be. It's what selects the drive.)

On startup, if the selected boot volume can't be found, the boot logic will wait for it to appear, and then after a timeout take whatever volume is available. That means that even if turning off the external lets you boot from the internal, you're still slowing down startup by however long the boot logic waits for the selected drive to appear.

ganbustein #25949 05/23/13 08:10 PM

So the solution should be to reset PRAM?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #25951 05/23/13 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
So the solution should be to reset PRAM?

NO!!! The solution is to go to System Preferences→Startup Disk and select the volume you want to boot from normally. (Which, I imagine, is your internal.)

Resetting PRAM would be like breaking a window instead of opening it, to get fresh air into the room. It'll get the job done, but now you have to replace the glass to reverse the operation.

Resetting PRAM discards all PRAM settings, including the one for "Startup Disk". If you have no selected startup disk, the boot logic will select what it thinks is the most likely (starting with the first partition of the first internal drive, and working systematically through the alternatives until it finds one that's actually bootable). But it won't start looking for the best until after waiting to give all drives time to spin up. Again, you're slowing down the boot process.

ganbustein #25952 05/24/13 05:46 AM

Thanks for clarifying that. (I was scratching my head as I wrote that edit, and under any circumstances, I should have immediately specified "on your iMac," rather than merely implied it.)

I've never been quite certain what determines Startup Disk; is there any way that booting from a volume, either on another partition or external, other than your regular boot volume can affect your Startup Disk selection in PRAM? (I think I managed to somehow change my selection a coupl'a weeks ago.)

Thanks.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #25956 05/24/13 03:29 PM

I've never been quite certain what determines Startup Disk; is there any way that booting from a volume, either on another partition or external, other than your regular boot volume can affect your Startup Disk selection in PRAM?

I do not know of anything specific that will reset the boot volume setting stored in the PRAM other than System Preferences > Startup Disk and its Unix command equivalents. However, the setting is only a bit or two and an electronic hiccup could possibly flip that bit without your being aware of it. I have seen a couple of cases where the selected boot volume was either not present or had become non-bootable for some reason which forces the system to look for the next bootable volume in line. There is no warning or notice of any kind that the system is booting from a volume other than the selected boot volume. If the alternate boot volume is a clone the user may never notice which volume is booted. I always change the desktop image on cloned volumes for this specific reason.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #25957 05/24/13 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
If the alternate boot volume is a clone the user may never notice which volume is booted. I always change the desktop image on cloned volumes for this specific reason.

Recognizibly different background images for main and cloned drives is good practice for several reasons. It's simple and cannot be promoted enough. cool

alternaut moderator
artie505 #25958 05/24/13 09:21 PM

is there any way that booting from a volume, either on another partition or external, other than your regular boot volume can affect your Startup Disk selection in PRAM?

Merely booting from a different source (for example, by holding down the option key at startup) shouldn't permanently change the setting.

The PRAM is parity-checked, so random changes (such as by cosmic rays or some-such) should have the same effect as zapping PRAM. That is, it will set this setting back to the default, which is to prefer the internal.

The ways I know of to change the setting, in order of increasing geekiness, are:
  • System Preferences→Startup Disk
  • Running the system installer (which I believe will want to make the new system the default)
  • A full restore from a TM backup (which will ask if you want to make the restored system the default)
  • The bless command with the --setBoot option
  • Booting into Open Firmware or EFI and setting boot-device or efi-boot-device as appropriate

Using a different background image won't help notice that you've accidentally booted into a clone, because a clone will have the same background image.

ganbustein #25960 05/24/13 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: ganbustein
Using a different background image won't help notice that you've accidentally booted into a clone, because a clone will have the same background image.
My main drive has a blue background on the desktop and the clone has a gray one. I can, therefore, tell immediately which one I'm booted from.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
ganbustein #25961 05/25/13 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: ganbustein

That would be correct if you leave things alone after cloning. But there's little reason to do that, and changing the desktop image of the main or the clone after cloning would produce the desired distinction. tongue

alternaut moderator
jchuzi #25964 05/25/13 07:45 AM

How?

ganbustein #25965 05/25/13 07:54 AM

Thanks to you and joemike.

I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden I found myself booted into the wrong volume, and when I looked, I found that my Startup Disk selection had changed without my having changed it.

I wonder if it was maybe a QuickBoot glitch. (I use QB to avoid option-booting, and it never touched Startup Disk in the past, but who knows?)

Guess I'll never know. confused

alternaut #25966 05/25/13 09:16 AM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
changing the desktop image of the main or the clone after cloning would produce the desired distinction
Thanks for adding that. I should have stated that I change the main drive's desktop background before cloning and change it back afterwards.

Jon

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard