FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Importing music into iTunes
#25926 05/19/13 09:35 AM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

It's a while since I've imported a CD into iTunes but I did just now and I cannot get iTunes 11 to play the CD while it's being imported. There used to be a tick box to do so in the Preferences Advanced tab but I can't find one in iTunes 11. Does anyone know how to do it?

Re: Importing music into iTunes
andycap #25927 05/19/13 11:33 AM

I haven't actually done this, but I looked through iTunes preferences and found something that might do it for you. Select the General tab and look at the options under When You Insert A CD.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
andycap #25928 05/19/13 02:51 PM

It appears to have become a "hidden preference" in later versions of iTunes. Using the Terminal command

defaults write com.apple.iTunes play-songs-while-importing -bool TRUE

worked to restore this pref at some point, although cursory googling indicates that that may no longer be the case. (I'm unable to test the command myself because my current setup doesn't include an optical drive.)

If you're disinclined to try the Terminal approach, Doug Adams has an AppleScript script available—Change Hidden iTunes Preferences—which numbers among its invocable prefs "Play songs while importing or converting." This script carries the following note: This script has not been updated for iTunes 11. Several settings* are no longer applicable in iTunes 11, but the preference in question is not marked as one of them.

My guess is that the script is just a front-end to the Terminal command anyway, so it might be more straightforward to use Terminal directly. In that case, you'd run the command with iTunes not running; it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to restart, as well, since some pref changes don't seem to "take" if you're only relaunching the app.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #25931 05/20/13 07:06 AM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Di, I tried both your Terminal command and Doug's Change Hidden iTunes Preferences script but neither did the trick. It must a preference that Apple tossed because they think no one uses CDs any more.

Jon, there's nothing in the General tab options when inserting a CD that enables it either.

It takes only minutes to import a CD anyway but I do like to listen while it's happening so that I know that it is! Thank you both for your suggestions.

Andy

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard