FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sync iPhone to iTunes Problem
#25752 04/17/13 12:01 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I have iCloud turned off. I only back up my iPhone 4S to iTunes 11.0.2 on my Mac. I used to have four calendars on the Calendar App on my Mac and iPhone. I no longer needed the fourth calendar, so I deleted it on the Mac. I then Synced my iPhone with the Mac and the fourth calendar disappeared from the iPhone as expected. Then, a couple of Syncs later, the name of the deleted calendar showed up on the Sync Calendars window of iTunes while it was not present on the iPhone's calendar app. I clicked the Sync button and the deleted calendar appeared on the iPhone. I then pressed the Calendars button on the iPhone's Calendar window and the supposedly deleted calendar reappeared. I then deleted that calendar from the iPhone and did Sync again. It disappeared from the Sync Calendars window on iTunes. Then, an indeterminate number of Syncs later, the dreaded fourth calendar reappears on the iTunes window, but it was not yet on the iPhone. From this, I conclude that the problem is with iTunes. How can I flush the reappearing calendar permanently out of my life? Thanks in advance for the assist.

Last edited by JoBoy; 04/17/13 12:44 AM.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
Re: Sync iPhone to iTunes Problem
JoBoy #25755 04/17/13 04:58 PM

Do you have any other iDevices or Macs that you have previously synched? Perhaps iTunes is "saving" the fourth calendar for potential synching with these other (old?) devices?

Just a guess. confused

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #25756 04/17/13 05:51 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

No. I have two backups, but they're both in Time Machine format. I don't think that affects the old calendar, but I certainly don't know it. Thanks for the thought. When ideas pop up, solutions sometimes follow.

Last edited by JoBoy; 04/17/13 05:52 PM.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
JoBoy #25760 04/17/13 08:43 PM

This may be totally off-the-wall, and I admit to knowing zero about the subject with which we're dealing here, but I'm going to suggest that, as has been the case in similar instances, there may be some deeply buried cache somewhere in which that fourth calendar resides and that a deep cache cleaning may clear up your issue.

To that end I'll suggest TinkerTool System and its cache cleaning routine; it's shareware, but you can run it in "evaluation mode" at no cost.

Hope this helps.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
JoBoy #25762 04/18/13 01:28 AM

Time Machine backups are one way unless the user requests a file to be restored, so that is an unlikely source of the recurring calendar. However, Ira's question about synching with other devices got me to thinking and searching the Apple Knowledge Base turned up this article on troubleshooting Calendar synching issues. I know that resetting synch services used to be relatively common so I thought you might pick up some ideas from it.

Hope it helps

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #25764 04/18/13 12:16 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I did use the current version of synch services reset before posting here, but forgot to mention it. That sync services reset turned out to be the solution to a previous thread I initiated on this forum where I could only sync one way. I haven't yet tried the cache cleaning to see if it helps, but will do so right away. Thanks for the input. My bad not to have mentioned sync services reset before.

artie505 #25765 04/18/13 12:44 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I hope you will forgive me. I did download the TinkerTool System and selected evaluation mode and opened the Cache button, but that stuff is so beyond my expertise that I chickened out and backed out without running it. I have worked hard to maintain a clean system and I'm under a lot of pressure to produce product right now. I can't afford to have my system trashed by a stupid move on my part. The aggravating return of a deleted calendar is more tolerable than the risk of trashing my system right now. I really appreciate the recommendation, but, given my current circumstances, I just can't take the chance. Thanks a lot.

JoBoy #25767 04/18/13 04:03 PM

I understand the position you're in and sympathize with you; maybe when things loosen up.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #25808 04/28/13 12:09 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Deadline is over and I tried the TinkerTool System. I cleaned out the four caches in the left hand column, but left the font cache and one other alone. The caches were cleaned out and the problem persists. I'm ready to call this a feature instead of a bug and hope that Mountain Lion 10.8.4 takes care of it. Thanks for the help. I appreciate this forum very much and have felt that way since the day after it went on the air.

JoBoy #25809 04/28/13 06:41 AM

Too bad it didn't work; it was worth a shot, though. frown

> I appreciate this forum very much and have felt that way since the day after it went on the air.

It is a great resource for both help and knowledge!

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard