FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Airport message popping up a lot
#25712 04/11/13 05:23 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

This keep coming up randomly, every week or so. Anyone know what it is?
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/2857/airportutilitymessage.jpg

Re: Airport message popping up a lot
kevs #25718 04/12/13 03:30 PM

That is easy. It means there is one firmware update available for Ken's Airport Extreme Base station and one firmware update available for Ken's Airport Express.

Click on the icon for either Ken's Airport Extreme or Ken's Airport Express and it will open, tell you there is an update and walk you through the one step installation process. It will take a few minutes to download the update, copy the update to the Airport device and install it, and finally reboot the Airport device and bring it back on line.

Repeat the process with the other device.

Any Airport updates are strongly recommended.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #25719 04/12/13 04:31 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, a little of that went over my head, but I'll give it a shot.

kevs #25732 04/15/13 06:59 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok Joe, ran updates today. Is there a "proper" way to reboot. Is unglugging, replugging the white cord ok?

The laptop is not getting the same message, how do I force an update over on the laptop? thanks.

kevs #25737 04/16/13 01:32 AM

This has confused several people I know. In fact it really spooked a good friend of mine. I must remember to make it a point to clarify what is happening and where it is happening. The updates are to the firmware in the Airport Extreme Base Station and Airport Express base station in your WiFi network and do not install or change anything on your computer, your computer's firmware, operating system, or any applications on your computer. The only changes are to the network devices.

The Airport Extreme and Airport Express reboots are performed automagically by the installer as part of the installation process. Simply run the installer from within Airport Utility and the rest is automatic. It does not even change any of the settings in either device.

— Albert Einstein
kevs #25738 04/16/13 02:17 AM

> The laptop is not getting the same message, how do I force an update over on the laptop?

Launch /Apps/Utils/AirPort Utility and select each base station, one at a time, and the window that opens will tell you that you need to update firmware (if, in fact, you do need to update firmware).

Note: My AirPort Express base station, which I updated just a short while ago, shows Version: 7.6.3.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #25746 04/16/13 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Launch /Apps/Utils/AirPort Utility and select each base station, one at a time, and the window that opens will tell you that you need to update firmware (if, in fact, you do need to update firmware).

If you read keys initial post and looked at the image it linked to, it indicated an Airport Extreme that needed one update and the Airport Extreme is in turn connected to an Airport Express that needed one update. The popup is an automatic checking function built into later versions of Airport Utility. I don't know if these versions are compatible with the older versions of OS X that you are using or not.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #25748 04/16/13 02:46 PM

(No re-reading necessary.) Of course! As soon as the Base Stations were updated from one Mac the job was done.

Duuuh! blush

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard