for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Moderation Policies at FTM
#2538 08/31/09 03:22 PM
OP Offline

Joe, I like it here, so please don't misunderstand/misinterpret this post.

Isn't your last paragraph rather stern? Do you mean that 99% of this forum is exclusively and solely for solving problems and if threads then become perfectly reasonable conversations about the topics presented, then that threatens those entire threads to be sent downstairs to the Lounge (like a naughty boy?)

Isn't this rather rigid / draconian / inflexible?

I'm just wondering and for all I know other people are too. It's kinda inhibiting, personally, FWIW.

Best wishes

Edit: This was originally a reply to joemikeb in Spam problems.

Last edited by dianne; 09/02/09 11:50 AM.
Re: Moderation Policies at FTM
Bensheim #2562 08/31/09 05:11 PM

No, you're not the only one. And let me hasten to say that I agree wholeheartedly with your first statement. But, yeah, the policies here, and at MFIF before, are less flexible than at any other Mac forum that I've participated in. You get used to it after awhile, and learn the rules that are very consistently enforced. There's also not much humor (or humour) in any of the forums, Lounge threads (or threads put on notice of being moved to the Lounge) included. I find that kind of sad. But, you get used to that as well.

So I guess the above qualifies as "spam" which makes it On Topic. Ooops! Humor alert

Last edited by dianne; 09/02/09 11:51 AM.
Bensheim #2569 08/31/09 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
... that threatens those entire threads to be sent downstairs to the Lounge (like a naughty boy?)

Isn't this rather rigid / draconian / inflexible?

I'm just wondering and for all I know other people are too. It's kinda inhibiting, personally, FWIW.

The reason for this approach is a simple one: to ensure that troubleshooting topics achieve their intended goal (a 'solution') with little if any distraction, so the OP and anyone else can glean relevant info without losing the forest for the trees. And, continuing this image, we mods are not hell-bent on 'clearcutting' the forums in the pursuit of this goal, but we do accept a certain degree of 'damned if you do and damned if you don't' as unavoidable.

Still, you're right in that this limits the options for (extended) levity, which (despite its importance) remains secondary to the troubleshooting. Hence the existence of 'The Lounge', along with the absence of 'The Penitentiary'. wink Remember, there is nothing inherently personal about this policy, and its application does not make you a naughty boy when it affects you. That requires a persistent behavior counter to our (as yet uncompleted) board rules. tongue

Last edited by dianne; 09/02/09 11:52 AM.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #2572 08/31/09 06:35 PM

I'll point out that if we enabled a system where questions could be marked as such and then points for correct/helpful responses could be awarded by the OP, that could set the stage for messages NOT marked as questions to remain under relevant forums despite not necessarily being troubleshooting related. This would be a big advantage to users who would naturally search for topics under relevant forum headings, especially when they contain useful technical info. The automatic categorization of anything non-troubleshooting as generalist is a big negative, IMHO.

Just sayin'... wink

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
alternaut #2587 08/31/09 09:03 PM

As an example of how even handedly this policy is enforced, a thread I started in a forum I moderate was moved by another moderator to The Lounge. In retrospect the move was appropriate, the post did not belong in a troubleshooting forum. My misjudgement or error, but not my bad.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #2592 08/31/09 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
As an example of how even handedly this policy is enforced, a thread I started in a forum I moderate was moved by another moderator to The Lounge. In retrospect the move was appropriate, the post did not belong in a troubleshooting forum. My misjudgement or error, but not my bad.

/off topic

but it was moved with a snippy, and I feel unprofessional, unfriendly comment.

/topic

Last edited by dianne; 09/02/09 11:53 AM.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #2602 08/31/09 11:40 PM

Quote:
...it was moved with a snippy, and I feel unprofessional, unfriendly comment.

Huh? confused

Last edited by dianne; 09/02/09 11:53 AM.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #2605 08/31/09 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Quote:
...it was moved with a snippy, and I feel unprofessional, unfriendly comment.

Huh? confused

sorry, that is my bad. my apologies, dk. I was thinking it was this:

Enough with the off-topic questions already.

Last edited by dianne; 09/02/09 11:54 AM.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
Bensheim #2708 09/02/09 12:03 PM

I have pulled the posts which discuss moderation policies at FTM from Spam problems and created a separate thread with a new title. I will move this thread to the FineTunedMac Feedback forum in a day or two.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
roger #2716 09/02/09 01:00 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Sometimes I get frustrated when a friendly request doesn't work, and sometimes that frustration shows.

Maybe in my next life I'll be perfect.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #2793 09/03/09 08:13 AM

Quoted from this post:

Quote:
OK... Perhaps I was remiss in not starting a new thread, but, too, "one might argue," a Mod "sensitive to a(nother) poster's needs" and call of duty could reasonably have been expected to have stepped in and separated the two lines of discussion when I failed to do so.

And, further, alternaut's posting the same problem as I had posted and a solution that worked for both of us turned the off-topic issue into a completed troubleshooting thread - problem...solution - in and of itself, and again you Mods failed to split it off.

Consequently, when I decided to pursue the matter further I had little alternative to doing so in the original thread where it was left sitting.

This post in the same thread further clarifies that unfortunate episode.

Last edited by artie505; 09/03/09 08:20 AM. Reason: Added link/Changed link

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard