for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Email weird thing
#2567 08/31/09 06:00 PM
OP Offline

This is not a problem, per se. It's just weird.

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon. I seem to be on their alert list for special offers.

Every time they email me with a promotion, I immediately, always, get one of these.
----------

Re: Your Amazon.co.uk Inquiry
Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.
We're sorry, this e-mail address that does not accept incoming e-mail.
Please refer to our help pages for information, or for details on how to contact our Customer Services team.
http://www.amazon.co.uk//help

Please do not reply to this e-mail.

We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon
at Amazon.co.uk.

Warmest regards,
Amazon.co.uk Customer Services

P.S. You received this message because Amazon.com received
the following message:

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:50:17 +0100
deliberately x'd out
To: amazon-offers@amazon.co.uk
Subject: Re: Amazon.co.uk: Top bargains

-----------

I have never replied to their special offers emails, by email.

This happens every time they email me with a special offer: two emails. One with special offer, one "bounce-back" email "from me".

Isn't this kinda weird?

Re: Email weird thing
Bensheim #2591 08/31/09 09:46 PM

Do you have a rule setup with an auto-reply or is there a auto-reply on your server, or a vacation-mode reply notice?

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Kevin M. Dean #2593 08/31/09 09:50 PM
OP Offline

Hi Kevin

Nope.

I'll log in at Amazon and see what preferences there are. With luck I'll disable "auto promotional emails".

BFN

Bensheim #2594 08/31/09 10:02 PM

For everyone's future reference Snow Leopard installs Mail 4.0 (1075/1075.2) so it would be helpful if questions specified either the version of OS X or the version of Mail involved. The "fix" may be different.

Agreed it is weird.
  • Are you using Mail 3.x or Mail 4 that comes with Snow Leopard?
  • Does the outgoing "bounce back" appear in Mail's sent message folder?
  • Does your ISP's POP or IMAP server support an automatic response when messages are opened?
  • Have you looked at the raw source of the incoming message to see if there is embedded Java or Javascript code to send a receipt notice to Amazon? MacPilot can disable the use of Java and/or Javascript in Mail.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #2618 09/01/09 10:15 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
For everyone's future reference Snow Leopard installs Mail 4.0 (1075/1075.2) so it would be helpful if questions specified either the version of OS X or the version of Mail involved. The "fix" may be different.

Hi Joe

It makes no difference what OS or software, it happens on both Macs (one is iMac running Tiger+Mail, t'other G4 running OS9+Outlook Express). I'm the receiver, not the transmitter.

Quote:
Agreed it is weird. [*]Are you using Mail 3.x or Mail 4 that comes with Snow Leopard?

Not on Leopard. On Tiger, see above.

Quote:

[*]Does the outgoing "bounce back" appear in Mail's sent message folder?

I never "send" them an email, so, no. Both emails arrive simultaneously. One is the promotion, the other is the "bounce back" which I never sent in the first place.

Quote:
[*]Does your ISP's POP or IMAP server support an automatic response when messages are opened? [*]

Opening their promotional email also does not pertain. I always get the two at once, simultaneously, see above. In answer to your question, I don't know.

Quote:
Have you looked at the raw source of the incoming message to see if there is embedded Java or Javascript code to send a receipt notice to Amazon? MacPilot can disable the use of Java and/or Javascript in Mail.

Er, no.......and I don't think I've got time to do that.

I logged into Amazon last night, rummaged around my profile, and de-subscribed to all their promotional emails. When I'd done that, I had SIX emails from Amazon telling me that I'd done that. <rolls eyes>

It seems to me that this must happen to many of their millions of registered customers. It cannot possibly be only me.

Oh well, hopefully that'll fix it.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard