FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Missing LION 10.7 MOSAIC Screensaver?
#25621 04/05/13 03:54 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Do you miss the MOSAIC screensaver that was in "Lion" 10.7 but removed from "Mountain Lion 10.8?" You can install it to run in "10.8" as long as you made/saved a copy of "10.7" OS on a CD or flash drive before you upgraded to "Mountain Lion" AND you have iPhoto installed with "Mountain Lion."

Note: The "old" PREFERENCE PANE (4.0) from "Lion" will replace PREFERENCE PANE (5.0) in "Mountain Lion" (i.e. both PANES cannot be used in the same OS). You can move/save 5.0 elsewhere within "Mountain Lion" - e.g. in your Applications Folder - or on a separate flash drive in case you decide you no longer want 4.0 and would like to switch back to the new screensavers which come with "Mountain Lion." Of course, switching back to 5.0 means you lose the 4.0's MOSAIC feature.

Steps:

1. Go to DISK UTILITY in your "Mountain Lion" computer or laptop.
Follow the directions to partition the drive. (Yes, you can now do this without first having to erase the whole drive and then partition.) 10 GB for "Lion" should be plenty.

2. Then, install "Lion" OS from your disc or flash drive onto the new partition. This could take 30 minutes or so.

3. When done, go to (you are still operating "Mountain Lion"):

/System/Library/PreferencesPanes/DesktopScreenEffectsPref.prefPane and move - actually remove, DO NOT copy or delete - this to some other location on your computer. (I preferred to move these to a new folder I created called MOSAIC 5.0 on a portable flash drive.) You will need to enter the Admin Password to authenticate the move of this preference pane.

4. Now, go to: /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.frameworks and remove this to some other location on your computer (or flash drive in the folder called MOSAIC 5.0). Again, your Admin Password may be required to do so.

5. Go to System Preferences START UP and restart your computer in the new partition (i.e. "Lion").

You are now running "Lion." When you open your computer folder, you should see TWO hard drive images: one contains "Mountain Lion 10.8" and the other contains "Lion 10.7."

6. Retrieve the same two items above from the system's library in "Lion" and copy both to a disc or flash drive. (You could even try to simply drag these to the "Mountain Lion" hard drive icon and folders therein, but I felt more confident that these files were stored in a new folder called MOSAIC 4.0 on the flash drive.)

7. Repeat Step 7, BUT select "Mountain Lion" as your START UP.

8. Place these "Lion" 4.0 versions (from the flash drive) into the exact same locations from which the "Mountain Lion" 5.0 versions were moved:

/System/Library/PreferencesPanes/DesktopScreenEffectsPref.prefPane

/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.frameworks

9. Restart your computer (which should still be in "Mountain Lion").

10. Go to System Preferences.

11. Select Desktop and Screensaver.

You have successfully replaced the "Mountain Lion" screensaver with the (old) "Lion" screensaver.

P.S. If anyone knows of a simpler way to accomplish this goal, please feel free to let us know. Thanks. :0)

Re: Missing LION 10.7 MOSAIC Screensaver?
MG2009 #25635 04/06/13 01:59 AM

Couldn't you avoid the Lion installation by extracting the necessary files from your media with Pacifist ?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #25636 04/06/13 04:54 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

I have no idea. Do not have PACIFIST.

Perhaps someone else will chime in and let you know.

smile

MG2009 #25685 04/09/13 04:07 PM

also, it's been pretty consistent in the past that screensavers are os-specific. anytime I've tried to move a (purchased) screensaver to a new os, it tells me it won't run on the new os.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #25687 04/09/13 04:22 PM

I once tried to move Apple's Panther "Flurry" to Leopard, with the same results. frown

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #25688 04/09/13 04:40 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

The trick for me was that the PREFERENCE PANE in "Mountain Lion" had to be deleted/moved from its original location BEFORE the OLD PREFERENCE PANE from "Lion" could be added to the ML OS. That is, PP version 4.0 and 5.0 cannot be on the same OS the same time.

Perhaps the same holds true for the Flurry Screensaver?

MG2009 #25689 04/09/13 05:04 PM

I moved the old "Flurry" before trying to install the new one; I remember the pop-up specifically telling me that it couldn't run "on this version of OS X."

I think you were successful because you moved a pref pane, while my lack of success resulted from my trying to move a file from deep within the bowels of OS X.

MG2009 #25710 04/11/13 02:29 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

5. Go to System Preferences START UP and restart your computer in the new partition (i.e. "Lion").

You are now running "Lion." When you open your computer folder, you should see TWO hard drive images: one contains "Mountain Lion 10.8" and the other contains "Lion 10.7."

6. Retrieve the same two items above from the system's library in "Lion" and copy both to a disc or flash drive. (You could even try to simply drag these to the "Mountain Lion" hard drive icon and folders therein, but I felt more confident that these files were stored in a new folder called MOSAIC 4.0 on the flash drive.)

7. Repeat Step 7, BUT select "Mountain Lion" as your START
UP.

-------------

Step # 7 should read "Repeat Step #5 . . . "

Sorry for any confusion.

blush

MOSAIC Screensaver - Gone Forever?
MG2009 #27177 10/24/13 10:42 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Just installed "Mavericks" 10.9 and noticed that the MOSAIC screensaver - dropped when the "Lion" (10.7) was killed off - has not been brought back. Bummers!

As described at the top of this thread, the necessary files could be moved to 10.8 ("Mountain Lion") and used successfully.

However . . . this process - as done before - now does NOT work for moving the files from 10.7 to 10.9.

Anyone know of a NEW way to get MOSAIC from 10.7 to work in "Mavericks" 10.9?

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I also rather liked the way one could /highlight colour the FULL titles of files and folders. The new TAG feature has replaced this previous option with "dots" instead. Bummer #2.

frown

Re: MOSAIC Screensaver - Gone Forever?
MG2009 #34941 07/02/15 10:23 PM

Sorry to bring such an old thread back to the top, but I've been trying to replicate this "Mosaic in 10.8" process without much success. It probably has to do with getting the two required files from a clean installation of Lion.

I attained three sets of those two Library files and tried them all with 10.8: one directly off the Lion install disk image, one from a clean 10.7.0 installation, and one after updating to 10.7.5 (which also updates the two files to v4.1). On both 10.7 and 10.8 clean installations, I installed iPhoto 9.0 and updated to 9.4.3. No matter what I did, it always failed with the same results.

The problem is the Screensaver tab in System Preferences, although the old 4.x panel shows correctly in Mountain Lion from the provided instructions, there are only two screensavers there: "Computer Name" and "Flurry". Everything else is missing. No iPhoto or Desktop Pictures in the menu. If I try "Use Folder of Pictures" from the drop down, selecting a folder doesn't do anything. I've tried repairing permissions, restarting, but I get nothing. (In the adjacent Desktop tab, the folders and iPhoto options show up fine, but I don't know if that's using the Lion or the Mountain Lion version).

I've seen threads with similar issues in Lion 10.7 where only those 2 screensavers show up and nothing else, so it sounds like it's a Lion clean install issue. But all of their suggested fixes do not work for me. Granted I'm using VMWare Fusion for both 10.7 and 10.8 virtual installations to test this method. Not sure if it needs to be an actual physical machine. (I will be doing the actual deed on an iMac next week and want to verify this will work.)

I'm also wondering if the success of this is dependent on upgrading to 10.7 from a 10.6.x installation and THEN copying the necessary files to bring over the Mosaic screensaver to 10.8. I just feel like I've wasted an entire day trying to figure this out. Any ideas?

kinless #34949 07/03/15 02:41 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

In short : It's toast!

One needed BOTH "Lion" and "iPhoto" to run the old MOSAIC screensaver.

Since Lion was killed off and iPhoto was replaced by Photos, then I imagine there is no way to recover or reinstall MOSAIC with Yosemite - although I have not tried to do so since I posted the original thread in this forum.

If anyone does know a way, I would also like to know.

grin

MG2009 #34951 07/03/15 03:43 PM

Yeah, I'm not worried about Yosemite (or El Capitan), those are definitely lost causes. I've got both Lion and iPhoto 9 installers, which work fine. It's just being stubborn about the screensaver options actually showing up in the System Prefs.

Since I'm migrating from an old 10.6.8 iMac, I may try upgrading that machine to Lion to see if it retains the mosaic screensaver, since iPhoto already exists at the time the upgrade is performed. If it does, I'll copy the required files from that machine.

At the very worst, I can install a 10.6 Server virtual machine on the new computer and run the mosaic that way, although I'm sure performance won't be nearly as good.

MG2009 #34984 07/07/15 12:32 PM

screensavers are well-known to have forward-compatibility problems on OS X. I'm wary of buying any screensavers, because they frequently break when a new version of OS X is released, and that usually means ponying up again.

Virtual1 #34986 07/07/15 04:29 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

If I understood correctly, KINLESS's inquiry was not about 3rd-party screensavers but the MOSAIC screensaver which was a part of the original OS X (pre-Mavericks) packages.

True, however, that I believe those Apple files "do not play nice" with Mavericks and later versions of OS X.

laugh

MG2009 #34987 07/07/15 05:40 PM

oh, I didn't recognize that one as a built-in

kinless #34988 07/07/15 07:19 PM

Just to follow up, I was able to successfully clone an existing installation of 10.6.8 from a 2006 iMac to a 2011 iMac, retaining the built-in mosaic screensaver. I then updated software on the new 2011 iMac one at a time (10.6.8 -> 10.7.5, iPhoto 7.x to 9.x), all while ensuring the mosaic didn't disappear. At this point all is well. Between Snow Leopard and Lion, I did notice the way the 4.x mosaic animation drifts outward has a different easing pattern than the 3.x version. Not a bad thing, just different than we're used to.

Anyway, I saved a copy of the 10.7.5 installation and then copied it to a new SSD drive, updated that to 10.8.5, replaced the required screensaver files, and the mosaic screen saver continued to work. Success!

Unfortunately after upgrading to 10.8.5 the iMac kept freezing on wake from sleep. I couldn't immediately solve that issue after several attempts, so had to downgrade back to 10.7.5, not the outcome I wanted but at least mosaic works and it's not on 10.6.x anymore.

Just posting here in case anyone wanted to know the step-by-step process, if doing a clean install like I first tried didn't work.

kinless #34990 07/07/15 11:01 PM

I can't find MOSAIC in OS X 10.6.8; should I have it, or is a pre-existing thing?

artie505 #34991 07/07/15 11:16 PM

It's kinda inconspicuous. You have to select something from the Picture Folder list in the Screensaver control panel (not sure if you need iPhoto for this to appear). Once you select an item from that list, look underneath the preview window to the right. You'll see three small buttons which defines how the images are displayed. The 1st one crossfades between pics, the 2nd one is polaroid-like photos dropping in one after another. The 3rd is the mosaic. You'll need more than 100 photos to activate the mosaic.

artie505 #34992 07/07/15 11:21 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

MOSAIC's files were last seen in the LION (10.7) bundle. Do not recall if/where it was located in LEOPARD or SNOW LEOPARD.

With a bit a fiddling around, LION's files could be installed in MOUNTAIN LION (10.8) . . . deleting the corresponding files in 10.8 and replacing them with the files from 10.7 (LION) version.

Unfortunately, the same procedure did not work in trying to move the files from 10.8 to 10.9 (MAVERICKS).

On a lark, I tried to do the same routine that I did from LION to MOUNTAIN in moving the LION files to YOSEMITE. No such luck there, either. Boo-hoo.

P.S. Sure would love to have MOSIAC back . . . to run in Yosemite !!! It was fun. And I have no idea why it would have been dropped from versions after LION.

:0)

kinless #34993 07/08/15 05:01 AM

Found it! Thanks. smile (Don't have 100 pics in iPhoto, anyhow.)

MG2009 #34994 07/08/15 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
And I have no idea why it would have been dropped from versions after LION.

Any number of apparently desirable OS X features have disappeared over the years, and while I can envision reasons - albeit not necessarily my own - in some instances, some thoroughly mystify me.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard