for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
This lounge confuses me
#2541 08/31/09 03:30 PM
OP Offline

Er, shouldn't the Lounge be for anything NOT on the subject of computers? Other topics? Other things in Real Life which are just as interesting?

I'd have thought so.

So why is the Lounge full of threads about software and hardware and threads about this forum? confused

Is there any chance of us having somewhere to post on say, news items, the economy, travel, sports, whatever rocks your boat or makes you mad? You know - the grist of life and not just about computers? smile

I'd welcome it! And IIRC the Lounge on MacFixit was just as I describe - I can clearly remember a wonderful thread to salute Jon's wedding anniversary, for instance.

Last edited by Bensheim; 08/31/09 05:47 PM. Reason: Typo in the thread title
Re: This lounge are confuses me
Bensheim #2544 08/31/09 03:53 PM

The Lounge is for anything that is not troubleshooting, which includes discussions on tech issues, as long as they are not related to a troubleshooting issue. We used to have a "Tech Issues" forum separate from the Lounge, to differentiate between tech talk and anything talk, but the admins decided to combine the two years ago. So yes, you can post a thread on anything within reason in the Lounge. In the past we used to have some pretty heated political discussions, in fact. You seem like the type to start up some pretty heated threads, so go for it! wink

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
Bensheim #2549 08/31/09 04:32 PM

On the former MFIF forums The Lounge was reserved for all non-troubleshooting topics and that is the general assumption with The Lounge here. That would include speculation about future software releases, venting about various hardware and/or software manufacturers and their policies, as well as more general topics of interest to persons in the Macintosh community. The MFIF forums had the MacFixit home page with its Late Breakers to deal with announcements and news items but that is labor intensive and FTM does not have the staff to sustain that kind of effort. So it is inevitable some non-troubleshooting hardware and software threads will end up here.

It is also inevitable some posts will end up in the wrong forum and the moderators of this forum will move an incorrect post from here to the correct forum as they are noted. If you see a post you believe belongs in a troubleshooting forum, click on the Notify link and let them know. We cannot be everywhere all the time. There will always be posts where the correct location is equivocal and then it boils down to a judgement call.

This is the place for thread such as the salute to Jon's anniversary or the long running Ad astra: another passing as well as discussion of non-troubleshooting hardware and software topics such as "Those so and so's at Adobe" or "What happened to WD's quality control?". Personally I think I would have named this forum The Watercooler, The Pub, or maybe The Joint Across the Street. It is a place to talk about anything of interest to the community -- except work (ie. troubleshooting problems) sex, religion, or politics. Those last three are too inflammatory and could create unnecessary distention and conflict within our community.

Notice too we have yet to arrive at a good description of The Lounge.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
donikatz #2550 08/31/09 04:34 PM
OP Offline

Hi Don

I seem like the type to start up some heated threads? I will take that to mean, I seem like the type to start up some lively threads which people want to join in. You're right. Another forum I used to live on (years ago) I seemed to have a knack, every thread I started went to page two within about an hour. Mind you, that was years ago when messageboarding was all the rage at that time.

I was going to post something like "there aren't that many members so maybe a non-Techie part of this forum might attract more new ones?" but, since there's no Member List here I had to do my own.

After about 5 minutes I had written down 40 different user names (including the 7 Admin/Mods), then I stopped doing that. So, there's over 40 people registered so far whom we know about. We don't know about new registrees who never post, because there's no "Our Latest Member is......"

Also, I see this ground has been covered before I joined here, in this thread:

http://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=91#Post91

There's some good stuff in there, and some of the posters don't seem to be around nowadays. I wonder what put them off?

joemikeb #2553 08/31/09 04:41 PM
OP Offline

Hi Joe

Thanks for the long explanatory reply, which was posted while I was composing mine.

You can add the Royal Family* to your list of no-no topics. People are either adamantly for or against, and no matter how reasonably one presents oneself, it always turns nasty. Every time.

*That's the British one.

Sex, eh? I've never seen sex debated anywhere! I must have been looking in all the wrong places all these years. wink

joemikeb #2561 08/31/09 04:56 PM

Quote:
except ... religion, or politics ...

Since when are politics banned? The MFIF Lounge had a long history of political discussion. Are we banning politics here? And does that include the politics of Mac vs PC? wink

Re: This lounge area confuses me
joemikeb #2563 08/31/09 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Notice too we have yet to arrive at a good description of The Lounge.

Yes, and one is needed. The sooner the better...

For now, are we to assume there are no rules in the Lounge? :devil:

Last edited by Gregg; 08/31/09 08:35 PM. Reason: fixed typo in subject title (see below)
Re: This lounge confuses me
Gregg #2565 08/31/09 05:48 PM
OP Offline

I can't believe I posted that illiterate thread title! Blame it on multi-tasking.

I've corrected it now.

Bensheim #2581 08/31/09 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
Blame it on multi-tasking.

I've corrected it now.

If we take that as another proof that humans cannot multitask in the sense of simultaneously doing multiple things properly, you got my vote. As to the correction, that only affects your original post title, not those of most replies... shocked wink

alternaut moderator
alternaut #2590 08/31/09 09:37 PM
OP Offline

Yep I realise that, and Gregg realised that too.

As an irrelevant aside, I like your avatar so much, Alt, that I used it myself for a bit somewhere else.

Maybe I'll get my own avatar. Someone else is also using this one.

donikatz #2596 08/31/09 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: donikatz
And does that include the politics of Mac vs PC? wink

Doni, I would put Mac vs. PC under the category of religion, not politics grin

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #2598 08/31/09 10:53 PM

Good point! laugh

alternaut #2601 08/31/09 11:33 PM

alternaut,

Suggested reading: articles about the distinction between multi-tasking and "continuous partial attention," which just came to my attention. Suggested Google search:

"continuous partial attention" wsj.com

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
joemikeb #2603 08/31/09 11:41 PM

Joe,

I cannot recall the last time I provided a link to an article about computing written in 1994:

http://www.themodernword.com/eco/eco_mac_vs_pc.html

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
MicroMatTech3 #2628 09/01/09 12:58 PM

I LOVE IT. and yes I know I shouted it was intentional.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard