for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bounce-backs
#25281 03/07/13 04:29 PM
OP Offline

I'm trying to send someone a zip file (created by File > Compress) which immediately bounced back. The zip file contains three folders, 3 PDFs and 1 Excel. Total size = 5 MB or so.

It immediately bounced back, the error message from their end, as follows:

Quote:
SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host mailforward.lcn.com [94.126.40.212]: 550 Attached file 'Archive.zip' has disallowed extension!

My next try was to send unzipped folders one by one, instead. They bounced back too.

My next try was to report the bounce-back messages to him. That bounced back too.

The only thing which gets through, is a simple message saying that all attempts at reporting to you the problem at your end, bounce back.

He dosn't seem to understand. He has revealed that he is on a Mac. Methinks it's his problem, not mine.

What do you all think? Thanks.

Re: bounce-backs
Bensheim #25282 03/07/13 05:47 PM

The bounce backs are happening before your e-mail attempt ever reaches his Macintosh.....that process is happening at the mail server which he uses (and unless he is running his own mail server hosted on his Macintosh, the flavor of his chosen computer makes no difference in the result).

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
Bensheim #25283 03/07/13 06:00 PM

You might try sending with no folders, just separate files. And given the nature of the receiving mail server, you may need multiple e-mails with a few individual files.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
MacManiac #25284 03/07/13 06:07 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
The bounce backs are happening before your e-mail attempt ever reaches his Macintosh.....that process is happening at the mail server which he uses (and unless he is running his own mail server hosted on his Macintosh, the flavor of his chosen computer makes no difference in the result).

Hi MacManiac, I guessed that, and tried to send him the bounceback message as displayed above. That got bounced back too. frown

Ira L #25285 03/07/13 06:14 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Ira L
You might try sending with no folders, just separate files. And given the nature of the receiving mail server, you may need multiple e-mails with a few individual files.

Hi Ira, the folders contain respectively 21, 19 and 14 pdfs. I simply don't have the time to send each one separately. Nor the inclination.........

The other thing is - this will appeal to anyone else here running a business - he's not paying for this 'service'. Yes he is a customer, but has already stated that he needs this back-information to do his PhD. (Doctoral Degree)

My initial response (verbally, in the office) was that we are not a free research library. I was asked to try to do this anyway.

Additionally, having succeeded with a simple text email reporting failure to send anything with any attachment, his response was, quote, "Oh, any form will do".

confused

Bensheim #25287 03/07/13 07:59 PM

The bounceback message tells you exactly what is going on.

Quote:
SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host mailforward.lcn.com [94.126.40.212]: 550 Attached file 'Archive.zip' has disallowed extension!

That's the info, right there. His ISP forbids ZIP files and will not process any email containing a ZIP file.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #25288 03/07/13 08:20 PM

Zip files can be and often are used to distribute malware and the Zip archive make it more difficult for his ISP to detect said embedded malware. So the ISP simply refuses to accept them rather than taking more expensive and server CPU consuming steps.

Since the files are PDFs,…
  • if you have Adobe Acrobat Pro it might be possible to combine the files into a PDF Portfolio file or…
  • using Acrobat or PDFPenPro or other similar PDF processors, you could combine the files into a single PDF file and try sending that.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #25292 03/07/13 11:01 PM

or get yourself a Dropbox or Box account and upload it and send him the link.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #25304 03/08/13 03:05 PM

I would second this suggestion, with no special preference for the provider, although I am familiar with Dropbox.

For attachments of a few megabytes or more, the convenience can't be beat. Upload to a service (many provide encryption), get the link, send the link to the recipient. S/he in turn can view the file on line or download it.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Bensheim #25305 03/08/13 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
Originally Posted By: Ira L

Hi Ira, the folders contain respectively 21, 19 and 14 pdfs. I simply don't have the time to send each one separately. Nor the inclination.........

confused

Your time and energy aside, I did not mean to send each one separately. Rather one e-mail with 6, 7, 10... individual single file attachments. By your tally above, this could still require a half-dozen or so emails on your part.

On a Mac since 1984.
roger #25306 03/08/13 05:30 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: roger
or get yourself a Dropbox or Box account and upload it and send him the link.

That's an idea which had never occurred to me. I've had a look at it, and now think that, should he come back to me wondering where the stuff is,

I will suggest to him that HE open a Dropbox and send me the link to it!

Ta Daa!

(There is only so much one can do for people who do not consider paying for it, IMO.)

Bensheim #25307 03/08/13 06:39 PM

> (There is only so much one can do for people who do not consider paying for it, IMO.)

definitely true.

I would guess that you would find DropBox or Box very useful in the future, however. Much easier than navigating email protocols for non-paying OR paying customers!

laugh

stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #25308 03/08/13 09:22 PM

> I will suggest to him that HE open a Dropbox and send me the link to it!

Can Dropbox be used in that manner?

I had it for only a short period of time and didn't use it enough to get the full hang of it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #25309 03/08/13 11:15 PM

Box can have shared uploads, but I'm not sure about Dropbox. But shared uploads are more about an ongoing collaborative process rather than onetime uploads.

stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #25310 03/08/13 11:27 PM

I think I phrased my original question poorly.

When I uploaded to Dropbox I could get a link to my upload to pass on, but I didn't see any way for a remote party to unilaterally upload to my account.

Can that be done with Box?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
roger #25311 03/08/13 11:38 PM

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #25312 03/08/13 11:52 PM

Thanks for the link.

> Any member of the folder can add, delete, or change files within that folder

sounds like what Bensheim is looking for, but

> When you create a shared folder and add other people to it, its files will appear in their Dropbox just as they do in yours

sounds like he's got to have his own Dropbox account to accomplish it, which is what he doesn't want to be bothered with.

Edit: What I was trying to ask, albeit incoherently, all along is whether there's a way to just give somebody a Dropbox upload link...period, and the answer appears to be "no."

Last edited by artie505; 03/09/13 02:02 AM.

artie505 #25341 03/11/13 05:39 PM
OP Offline

Hi All

It has occurred to me in the interim, that all this person has to do is either:

a. set up a yahoo or gmail account, give me the address, into which I can send his 5MB-worth of our back data (Free, apparently, since I did not get into this transaction from the start), or

b. Ask Me Nicely to burn them to a CD and post it to him.

I'm big on manners/etiquette. Simple stuff such as saying Please when you want something, and Thank You when it's done. As far as I can tell from the email trail, he has not once said Please and not once said Thank You for all the effort put in so far.

(example: I had a nephew over here recently. He casually asked "Do you have a spare laptop?" I said yes. He said "Can I borrow it?" I said no. He said "....why not?...."

I said: "Because you did not say Please!")

artie505 #25345 03/11/13 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505

Edit: What I was trying to ask, albeit incoherently, all along is whether there's a way to just give somebody a Dropbox upload link...period, and the answer appears to be "no."

NO! The answer is "YES", if I understand your statement.

You can upload to YOUR Dropbox account, obtain a link to the file or folder and then share that link with anyone. THEY can then view or download whatever is at the link you provided. They do not need a Dropbox account to do this.

Now, for them to upload to your account is a different matter, and I don't believe it is possible.

I believe the only way for them to upload to you is if they have a Dropbox account that is the same account as yours, and you would normally not want to do this sort of arrangement. Perhaps in a family arrangement or in a business setup for internal sharing you could all have a common Dropbox account, otherwise you are letting someone into your Dropbox folder.

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #25349 03/11/13 08:52 PM

> Now, for them to upload to your account is a different matter, and I don't believe it is possible.

That's exactly what I was asking about...what Bensheim originally proposed doing in post #25306: I will suggest to him that HE open a Dropbox and send me the link to it!

> I believe the only way for them to upload to you is if they have a Dropbox account that is the same account as yours....

I think that's contradicted by "When you create a shared folder and add other people to it, its files will appear in their Dropbox just as they do in yours"

artie505 #25352 03/11/13 10:06 PM

This information from Dropbox help seems pretty straight forward and easy to do.

Originally Posted By: Dropbox Help
The Public folder lets you easily share single files in your Dropbox. Any file you put in this folder gets its own Internet link that you can share with others -- even non-Dropbox users!

Step 1: Drop a file into the Public folder.

Step 2: Right-click this file, then choose Dropbox > Copy Public Link. This copies an Internet link to your file that you can paste anywhere: emails, instant messages, blogs, etc.

That's it! To share your file, just send the link to a friend.

Happy Dropboxing!
- The Dropbox Team

P.S. You can only link to actual files within your Public folder, not to folders. For help with sharing files visit http://www.dropbox.com/help/16

There is no provision for write enabling the dropbox as far as I can find.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/11/13 10:08 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #25356 03/11/13 11:00 PM

> This information from Dropbox help seems pretty straight forward and easy to do.

It is, but it's not what Bensheim wanted to [extreme frustration]!@#$%^&[/extreme frustration] do!

He wanted the other party to set up a Dropbox account to which he, i.e. Bensheim, could upload, and as far as I can tell, that's possible (as is writing to someone else's account) only with sharing enabled. Edit: And for sharing to work, all sharers must have Dropbox accounts.

Last edited by artie505; 03/12/13 12:33 AM.

artie505 #25416 03/15/13 04:57 PM
OP Offline

Update:

That young man has emailed again, wondering where his free information is, and offering more email addresses to which to send my zip file/s.

My response was that he should either set up a Box account (as referenced here) or a yahoo/gmail account. I added that we are not a Free Reference Library but a commercial business and some please/thanks would be appreciated for efforts on his behalf so far.

His swift response was a link to a gmail address, and thanks underlined.

I have sent that gmail address one (of several) zip files. It did not bounce back.

So here's the question: why does his own email address bounce zip files back, but not a gmail one?

(The other question, of course, is why some people think that other people are there purely for their disposal with no fee paid?????????)

Last edited by Bensheim; 03/15/13 05:55 PM.
Bensheim #25425 03/16/13 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim

So here's the question: why does his own email address bounce zip files back, but not a gmail one?

Because his ISP forbids .zip files but Google does not.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard