FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SL to ML?
#25217 03/01/13 07:48 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I am quite happy with OS 10.6 except for one problem. avi movie downloads have to be converted because of the appearance of 3ivx Trial (in red) on the video. I convert them to MP4s and they are normal. Even the movies I downloaded before SL became defaced by these red letters. I am wondering if upgrading to mountain lion will resolve this issue. Apart from that, Is ML better than SL?
What advantages is there and does it warrant the difference?
jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: SL to ML?
jaybass #25218 03/01/13 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: jaybass
Apart from that, Is ML better than SL?

Let me begin by saying I am a compulsive early adopter. I installed the OS X Public Beta the day it was released and, in so far as possible, I have installed every subsequent OS X upgrade and update on the day of its release. So my opinion should be considered in that light.

Whether Mountain Lion is better than Lion or Snow Leopard is arguable, but the fact of the matter is Mountain Lion is a supported product and Snow Leopard is not. Mountain Lion is still being updated including improved security and Snow Leopard is not. More and more apps are coming out that work on Mountain Lion and not on Snow Leopard. Rumors about a possible OS X 10.9 release this summer are floating around and whether 10.9 ships this summer or this fall it will be that much steeper a climb to upgrade from Snow Leopard and neither Lion nor Mountain Lion will be available as an alternative. I could not begin to list all of the changes between Lion and Mountain Lion, much less those between Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion. Basic functionality is pretty much the same, but the changes are numerous and many of them subtle though important. To me the most noticeable differences are those relating to increased the system security, integration with iCloud, and the extensive integration of touch pad navigation and control. I wasn't sure I wanted to give up my mouse, but now I have a wireless touchpad and going to a machine that uses a mouse is a genuine pain in the nether regions. As to iCloud integration I wasn't sure at first what I was going to do with it, but as an iPhone and iPad as well as Mac user, I would not want to be without iCloud to make the use of all my devices seamless.

Originally Posted By: jaybass
I am wondering if upgrading to mountain lion will resolve this issue

I can say with absolute confidence in the accuracy of my answer, I have no idea. wink

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #25219 03/01/13 10:44 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for your comprehensive response. From what you tell me and considering the many purposes that you use MT for ... most of which I don't use, I think perhaps I'll ponder a little longer on if the pros outweigh the cons.
Food for thought.
jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
joemikeb #25220 03/01/13 10:52 PM

> ...neither Lion nor Mountain Lion will be available as an alternative.

Lion will remain an alternative as long as there are in-spec Macs that aren't running it, because there's no shortage of Apple thumb drives on eBay. (And since the price of new ones has dropped to less than Apple's $69 since the Brit from whom I bought mine [for $70] flooded the market, now is probably a good time to buy.)

As for Mt. Lion, though, I wonder what Apple has got against late-upgraders all of a sudden?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #25228 03/02/13 01:30 PM

I heard the other day that while 10.7 is not available on the app store, if you call apple they will sell you a link ($20) to download 10.7.

that was somewhat surprising, but on the other hand, not so much.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #25234 03/02/13 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I heard the other day that while 10.7 is not available on the app store, if you call apple they will sell you a link ($20) to download 10.7.

that was somewhat surprising, but on the other hand, not so much.

That certainly makes sense, but you'd think they'd make it public knowledge and save some people from springing for big bucks for thumb drives. (Mine cost me $79, but I've seen them go for $120, maybe more.)

Maybe that's what's behind those curious gift certificates ?

I wonder what they'll do with 10.8 when 10.9 is released.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jaybass #25238 03/03/13 03:55 AM

The red "3ivx" appears on your computer for reasons that have nothing to do with Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion.

They appear because at some point in the past, you downloaded the free 3ivx software from www.3ivx.com in order to play movies. The free version is limited; you can play moves for a certain amount of time, and then it puts the red "3ivx" logo into the movies until you pay for the unlocked version.

You don't need to upgrade your computer's operating system. You need to remove 3ivx and use a different movie CODEC package, like DivX for Mac.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #25241 03/03/13 08:17 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

tacit,
Your reply has helped me alot. The "3ivx" only appeared after I switched to SL
which asked me to update QT which as you know has a slightly different icon. I have 2 partitions the first of which was backed immediately prior to SL but leaving my other partition as is. So I booted up in partition 2 and dragged the old QT icon onto a flash card and then booted back into SL and then trashing the new QT and replacing it with the old one. The "3ivx" did not appear on any of my many movies. That was what caused the problem. I then trashed "3ivx" and a window suggested I uninstall DivX pro, restart and reinstall DivX which I did. Everything seems good now. I am going to update the QT and see what happens. If there is a problem, then I'll swap it for the old one.
BTW, I find that I can play DivX movies on my computer but after putting them on a flash card, they won't play on my TV. If you have any ideas about that, let me know. I had been converting them to MP4s with visual hub which also solved the problem before I realized it was the new QT was the culprit.
Thank you,
jaybass

artie505 #25242 03/03/13 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
As for Mt. Lion, though, I wonder what Apple has got against late-upgraders all of a sudden?

"…all of a sudden" confused What all of a sudden? Apple's policy of dropping support for previous versions of OS X, OS 9, OS 8, OS 7, etc. has not changed. What has changed is the distribution method.

Distribution of upgrades has migrated from Floppy disks, to CDs, to DVDs, to internet distribution. When OS upgrades were distributed on physical media and a new OS version came out there were always copies of the previous version left on store shelves as well as in the grey market and to some extent the black market. Dealers who dealt too obviously in grey market software would lose their franchise and in many cases were taken to court. Apple would quit producing the distribution media well in advance of the new upgrade release in an attempt to drain the supply chain prior to a release but there were always some left for late adopters to purchase, but by and large Apple only directly supported the late adopter market in very limited circumstances.

With today's electronic (App Store) distribution all Apple has to do is delete a file and the distribution channel is empty. Copy a new file to the server and the update is the only thing available and the distribution channel is once again filled but with the new version. There are huge cost advantages to Apple in this arrangement and the customer has benefited in the form of a $100 reduction in the price of upgrades. The grey market has virtually disappeared because Apple has positioned themselves as a sole source of their product, and if you see any copies of Lion or Mountain Lion for sale on physical media other than by special arrangement with Apple, almost by definition they have to be pirated black market versions and an easy target of Apple's attorneys and the FBI.

So Apple has not turned against late adopters lately. If they turned against late adopters as you decry, it was thirty or more years ago. It is simply today's channels for distributing software has severely limited the grey market.

— Albert Einstein
jaybass #25249 03/04/13 10:23 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

jaybass, please start a new thread in the Audio, Video, Photography forum for your flash card to TV problem.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
joemikeb #25313 03/10/13 07:16 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505

"…all of a sudden" confused What all of a sudden? Apple's policy of dropping support for previous versions of OS X, OS 9, OS 8, OS 7, etc. has not changed. What has changed is the distribution method.

Distribution of upgrades has migrated from Floppy disks, to CDs, to DVDs, to internet distribution. When OS upgrades were distributed on physical media and a new OS version came out there were always copies of the previous version left on store shelves as well as in the grey market and to some extent the black market. Dealers who dealt too obviously in grey market software would lose their franchise and in many cases were taken to court. Apple would quit producing the distribution media well in advance of the new upgrade release in an attempt to drain the supply chain prior to a release but there were always some left for late adopters to purchase, but by and large Apple only directly supported the late adopter market in very limited circumstances.

With today's electronic (App Store) distribution all Apple has to do is delete a file and the distribution channel is empty. Copy a new file to the server and the update is the only thing available and the distribution channel is once again filled but with the new version. There are huge cost advantages to Apple in this arrangement and the customer has benefited in the form of a $100 reduction in the price of upgrades. The grey market has virtually disappeared because Apple has positioned themselves as a sole source of their product, and if you see any copies of Lion or Mountain Lion for sale on physical media other than by special arrangement with Apple, almost by definition they have to be pirated black market versions and an easy target of Apple's attorneys and the FBI.

So Apple has not turned against late adopters lately. If they turned against late adopters as you decry, it was thirty or more years ago. It is simply today's channels for distributing software has severely limited the grey market.

That neatly and conveniently overlooks the thriving market in RESALES, the legal, real source for late adopters for those thirty or more years.

> ...Apple has positioned themselves as a sole source of their product....

Apple is attempting to position itself as the sole source of anything that goes into or runs on a Mac, and in those instances in which they can't squeeze out the competition they're attempting to grab a piece of their action.

At this precise moment, in a veeery exclusive private room in a veeery exclusive private club in heaven, JP Morgan and his robber baron cronies are toasting Steve Jobs: "Wow! Why didn't I think of that!!!"

We've been going at this for several years now, and it's not likely to stop any time soon, if at all, because you're a hopeless Apple apologist, and I'm an equally hopeless Apple critic.

I note, though, that during the course of my reading I've found that while at least some of the Apple pundits have crossed the line, even if only marginally, to my side, the apologists are still wearing blinders.

artie505 #25322 03/10/13 08:05 PM

owell I'll sit happily in Apple's walled garden. It's got a little bit higher price for admission, but it's a fair trade for improved security, consistency, and utility.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
artie505 #25333 03/11/13 12:29 AM

As for supporting the resale market I think it should be noted that Apple is first and foremost a hardware manufacturer and makes exactly zero dollars from resales but at the same time they spend a LOT of money on support of that market. Applecare, for example, does not attach to the purchaser rather to the item purchased. So when I transferred a MacBook to a young friend going off to college and it subsequently cratered, she took it to the Apple Store and they honored the AppleCare without question. Apple determined the MacBook was not going to work and replaced it. They gave her a new MacBook with a full warranty plus two years of AppleCare. All at no cost. Find another company that supports the resale market better than that if you can.

If you fell as hostile toward Apple as you indicate, take a look here, here, here, and here where you might find something that more closely fits what you want.

As for me, I will stick with a company that consistently has the highest customer service ratings in the industry and has always been the technology leader in the market, Apple.

If you or anyone else wants to continue this thread, I will be happy to move it to The Lounge as it is getting further and further removed from anything resembling actual trouble shooting.,

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #25361 03/12/13 05:04 AM

What on Earth has any of that got to do with my post? You're kinda defending Apple's exterminating the men and women by pointing out that they're taking care of the orphans. (My own recent AppleCare experience.)

The bottom line here is there's absolutely no reason why I can't be on both your and V1's side of the fence and my own at the same time...absolutely despising Apple but still loving my Mac (for the moment, anyhow frown ).

No need to move this to the lounge; it's reached its conclusion here, but I'm sure we'll have no end of opportunities to revisit the broader subject. laugh

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard