FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Safari 6.0.2 locked in applications with Lion
#25005 02/13/13 02:17 PM
alan Offline OP
OP Offline

I was updating Safari to 6.0.2 and it locked in the applications folder, I am using Lion10.7.5. Are there any options for unlocking except upgrading to Mountain Lion?

Desktop icon and Application folder icon have a circle/slantline over it.

The Map Guy

Re: Safari 6.0.2 locked in applications with Lion
alan #25012 02/13/13 07:24 PM

How did you update it? Did you use software update, or did you download it from somewhere?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
alan #25014 02/13/13 09:32 PM

Go to your Applications folder and do a Get Info on Safari. What does it say under Sharing and Permissions?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
tacit #25020 02/14/13 12:02 PM
alan Offline OP
OP Offline

I downloaded it from Softonic. I went and did Safari Get Info and under preview it has the Safari icon in gray with a white circle with a line through it over the icon. When I tried to download the older version it says I already have a newer version. When I went back in Time Machine to before I downloaded it said I could not delete or modify because it is a necessary application for the OS.

Any other thoughts?

jchuzi #25021 02/14/13 12:04 PM
alan Offline OP
OP Offline

I downloaded it from Softonic. I went and did Safari Get Info and under preview it has the Safari icon in gray with a white circle with a line through it over the icon. When I tried to download the older version it says I already have a newer version. When I went back in Time Machine to before I downloaded it said I could not delete or modify because it is a necessary application for the OS.

alan #25022 02/14/13 12:30 PM

You may have misunderstood me about the Get Info procedure.

1. Go to Applications, select Safari, and click Get Info at the top of the window. Alternatively, press Command and I simultaneously.
2. In my 10.6.8 system, Sharing & Permissions says:

system: Read&Write
wheel: Read only
everyone: Read only

I was wondering if you had a permissions issue but since you downloaded Safari from Softonic (and I know nothing about it), you may have gotten something else. It would have been better to use Software Update. You could repair permissions (it wouldn't hurt), but I can't guarantee that this will solve the problem.

In another forum, a reader had a similar problem with 10.6.8 and solved it by re-applying the 10.6.8 Combo Updater. Of course, that's not the one that you want. You should use, instead, the 10.7.5 Combo Updater.

I would try repairing permissions first, then use the Combo Updater if that doesn't work. After applying the updater, check Software Update to see if anything else is necessary.

In Time Machine, can't you select the previous version of Safari and then click Restore? That ought to get it back for you. Actually, try that before applying the Combo Updater.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #25023 02/14/13 12:44 PM
alan Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Jon.
Sorry I forgot this part, under Sharing and Permissions it says I have custom Access. If I double click on the cancelled icon the window says;
You can't use this version of the application Safari with this version of Mac OSX.
You have MacOS X 10.7.5. This application requires Mac OS x 10.8 or later.

I have been putting off upgrading to Mountain Lion, still remembering the mess and software problems I had from Snow Leopard to Lion.

Thank you for your help.

alan #25024 02/14/13 01:43 PM

I should have mentioned that I have custom access also.

At this point, rather than upgrade to Mountain Lion, why not use Time Machine the way I suggested? If all else fails (apart from going to ML), you could reinstall Lion. It refers to 10.7.2 but the principle is the same. Then, use Software Update to get you up to speed.

Jon

alan #25025 02/14/13 01:44 PM

Edit: Right on, tacit! smile

> I downloaded it from Softonic.

> You have MacOS X 10.7.5. This application requires Mac OS x 10.8 or later.

There you go... That's why you should never d/l Apple software from a source other than Apple, itself (via Software Update).

SU would not have offered you the Safari 6.0.2 d/l if it is not compatible with the version of OS X you're running.

And further, you never know precisely what you're getting when you use a 3rd party source.

Last edited by artie505; 02/14/13 04:26 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #25028 02/14/13 02:21 PM
alan Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Jon, Thank you for trying to help me with this. The sharing and permissions do allow read & write etc. as below. I also downloaded Combo Updater as you suggested and it came back with this message;
Mac OS X update Combined can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update.
I then checked Software Update and it came back as up to date.
Lastly, I went back to Time Machine and selected just Safari before the new download but it came back as can't be modified or deleted.
One final question, have you heard anything about the problems being fixed from upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion? Alan

alan #25029 02/14/13 02:28 PM

> Lastly, I went back to Time Machine and selected just Safari before the new download but it came back as can't be modified or deleted.

Have you considered restoring your complete OS X installation from Time Machine's most recent backup prior to your having d/l'ed Safari 6.0.2?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #25030 02/14/13 02:39 PM
alan Offline OP
OP Offline

I tried Time Machine again and went further back and still it says Safari can not be modified or deleted. I updated to Lion from Mac online purchase, do I buy it again. Also, will I lose emails or anything by doing this?

Thank you again, Alan

alan #25031 02/14/13 02:46 PM

Go to the Reinstall Lion link in my previous post for instructions. You shouldn't lose anything. If you follow's Artie's idea of reinstalling completely from Time Machine, you probably will lose some emails because TM will revert to whatever you had on that date.

Jon

alan #25032 02/14/13 03:03 PM

Just to clarify, Safari 4 and prior were standalone apps that could be easily deleted and replaced, but Safari 5 and later sink hooks deep into OS X and cannot be dealt with so easily other than by reinstalling or restoring OS X.

Jon is correct about your likely losing data if you restore from Time Machine, so if that's an issue you'll have to travel another route. (Note, though, that if the e-mails with which you're concerned are still stored on your mail server you can retrieve them after restoring.)

Last edited by artie505; 02/14/13 03:07 PM.

jchuzi #25033 02/14/13 03:27 PM
alan Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for all your help. I am going to do this later as I have an appointment. I totally understand and printed out the link.

Alan

artie505 #25034 02/14/13 03:28 PM
alan Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Artie,

Thank you for chiming in and clarifying what I have to do along with Jon. I greatly appreciate the help from the both of you. All the best, Alan

artie505 #25035 02/14/13 06:09 PM

Quote:
Jon is correct about your likely losing data if you restore from Time Machine, so if that's an issue you'll have to travel another route.

This would obviously apply to any personal files predated by the Time Machine backup in question, not just emails.

However, restoring from an earlier state via Time Machine shouldn't erase anything on the Time Machine volume, so all those later files will still be available there, backed up during subsequent Time Machine runs. (This assumes alan has continued to backup via Time Machine since the installation of Safari 6.0.2.)

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #25036 02/14/13 07:20 PM

Good points (I mentioned e-mails, specifically, only because alan mentioned e-mails, specifically.), but I wonder what would be involved in recovering everything from Time Machine if alan has really used his Mac during the period since he installed Safari 6.0.2?

Last edited by artie505; 02/15/13 11:58 AM. Reason: Rewrite poorly written post

artie505 #25037 02/15/13 02:58 AM

It just occurred to me that it seems unusual for OS X to have allowed alan to install an unsupported version of Safari.

Isn't its telling him after the fact that "You can't use this version of the application Safari with this version of Mac OSX. You have MacOS X 10.7.5. This application requires Mac OS x 10.8 or later" unexpected, as opposed to its having not allowed him to install it in the first place?

Last edited by artie505; 02/15/13 03:00 AM. Reason: Cleanup

artie505 #25038 02/15/13 12:39 PM

It is the OS X Installer that checks version compatibility. Since Alan downloaded Safari from Softonic it is entirely possible the installer was either bypassed completely (drag and drop install) or the installer was cobbled to bypass the version checks. As one of our more astute contributors said,
Originally Posted By: artie505
There you go... That's why you should never d/l Apple software from a source other than Apple, itself (via Software Update).

SU would not have offered you the Safari 6.0.2 d/l if it is not compatible with the version of OS X you're running.

And further, you never know precisely what you're getting when you use a 3rd party source.
grin

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #25039 02/15/13 12:48 PM

grin

Thanks for the clarification of the installation process.

joemikeb #25044 02/16/13 03:06 AM

> ...the installer was cobbled to bypass the version checks.

Do you really mean "cobbled," or do you mean something more like subverted?

Or do you mean that the d/l may have come with its own "cobbled" installer?

Aside: What on Earth possesses people to d/l  free Apple software from a 3rd party Website?

It's not like Software Update is a secret, popping up by default almost the second you boot a new Mac, as it does.

artie505 #25049 02/16/13 02:45 PM

Assuming the installer is used the application must provide it with information that is unique to each and every install such as where the various files go, what permissions to assign to each, etc. This information ends up in /Library/Receipts as a .pkg file. These files are not only used to direct the actions of the Installer, they are also what Disk Utility uses when it performs Permission Repair. Compatibility checks would be part of the instructions provided in the installation package.

I suspect Alan's download did not use an installer and was simply a drag and drop installation in which case there would be no compatibility check until he attempted to run Safari and the OS recognized the incompatibility. Even if the installer was used, it is entirely possible the compatibility check was omitted from the pkg by oversight, by lack of knowledge, or even by intent such as also installing additional items such as hooks that can be used subsequently to remotely install malware. More than one trojan has used that ploy.

Alan was probably using the third party sight because what he was attempting to do is not supported by Apple.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #25051 02/16/13 06:27 PM

> Even if the installer was used, it is entirely possible the compatibility check was omitted from the pkg by oversight, by lack of knowledge, or even by intent such as also installing additional items such as hooks that can be used subsequently to remotely install malware. More than one trojan has used that ploy.

Aaah! That's what never occurred to me...that Safari may have been repackaged.

Thanks.

As somebody, somewhere once said, "...you never know precisely what you're getting when you use a 3rd party source."

Moderated by  cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard