FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iPad can't connect to WiFI
#24979 02/10/13 10:27 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

iPad 2. Until this morning, it connected fine to a network with a Time Warner ARRIS WiFi router and a late 2009 iMac.The IMac still connects fine. Now when I open Safari on the iPad it just says "cannot connect to the internet".

About three days ago, I got the message on the iPad to update the iOS. I did. So now the iPad has 6.1 10B141 on it. From Google, there are some WiFi connection troubles attributed to 6.1. But I was connecting fine with the iPad for several days after downloading 6.1.

Have reset the network connection -- to no avail. Am out of warranty -- bought on Black Friday of 2011. But tomorrow will take it into the Apple store in Palm Desert to see if the staff there can connect to another network.

There is a story online at Tablet Crunch that the only solution is to ensure that your router has firmware for IPv6.

Any suggestions?

Re: iPad can't connect to WiFI
RHV #24980 02/11/13 02:51 AM

Can you connect through the telephone network or is your iPad WiFi only?

I am sure you have checked this, but just to be sure nothing is overlooked, in Settings WiFi are you sure WiFi is turned on. Does it show a network and can you connect to it?

If you have not done so power down completely (hold the on/off button down until the Power Off slider appears and the slide it all the way to the right), give it several seconds and then reboot (press and hold the on/off button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.)

If you are still unable to connect, plug your iPad into power then go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. After your iPad reboots you will have to go back to Settings > WiFi and reconnect to the network.

If nothing has worked to this point connect to power or even better to iTunes on your computer via a USB cable and perform a full reset. This will back your iPad up to your computer, erase it completely, reset everything to factory specs including the latest version of iOS then restore all your applications and data from the backup. This entire process can take a good deal of time, so be patient, very patient.

If you are still unable to connect via WiFi go online on your computer and make an appointment with the genius desk at your nearest Apple store. The appointment can save you a LOT of time.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
RHV #24986 02/11/13 10:14 PM

While I believe that the procedure joemikeb outlined is the standard way to approach this issue from the user's point of view, Apple has seen fit to issue yet another iOS update (v6.1.1), albeit without much information about its content beyond a focus on the iPhone 4S. Hopefully one or the other will help fix your WiFi access problem.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #24989 02/12/13 02:11 AM

Quote:
Apple has seen fit to issue yet another iOS update (v6.1.1)

The iOS 6.1.1 update is interesting as it is apparently not available for download to either the iPhone or iPad, or at least any of the ones I have here, and the linked KB article only mentions iOS 6.1 and not 6.1.1. I know there were parts of 6.1 that were specifically for certain network providers and perhaps 6.1.1 is just for devices on specific networks.

— Albert Einstein
RHV #24990 02/12/13 05:50 AM

I have an iPad 3. A friend of mine has an iPad 3 as well. Both have difficulty connecting to an Asus RT-N1-3U router with WPA2 Personal encryption, but do not have difficulty connecting to an old Linksys router.

The difficulty appears to be related to certain brands of router and certain kinds of encryption. I can enable WEP or WPA encryption on the Asus router and connect no difficulty, but have trouble with WPA2. Other routers, like the Linksys or my roommate's Netgear router, have no problem with WPA2 encryption.

I don't know if the difficulty is related to IPv6 or not. I would expect quite a few consumer-grade routers not to handle IPv6.

iOS 6.1.1 is currently available only for the iPhone 4S, and addresses a 3G connectivity problem unique to the 4S. It is not available for (and won't show up on) other devices.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
joemikeb #24995 02/12/13 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Quote:
Apple has seen fit to issue yet another iOS update (v6.1.1)

The iOS 6.1.1 update is interesting as it is apparently not available for download to either the iPhone or iPad, or at least any of the ones I have here, and the linked KB article only mentions iOS 6.1 and not 6.1.1. I know there were parts of 6.1 that were specifically for certain network providers and perhaps 6.1.1 is just for devices on specific networks.

My iPhone 4S updated last night, and I was surprised by the size of the update. It was more than 900Mb. Big for an incremental update, I thought.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
tacit #24996 02/12/13 02:57 PM

Given the variables in play, chief among which are iOS update(s), router specifics and (not unimportantly) type/symptom of WiFi disfunctionality, I wonder how these can be used in troubleshooting the issue. Assuming the suggestion that an iOS update 'messed things up' is correct, that in turn suggests some sort of interaction between the update and certain router functionality (since router-dependent equipment not affected by the iOS update kept on functioning).

In RHV's case there also was a (significant ?) delay between the update and the WiFi problem onset. If the update caused the problem, how is that delay explained? Could it be cache(s) retaining usable info until cleared, possibly by unusable data? If so, which one(s)? More importantly, how to prevent or circumvent the process that leads to the problem?

Finally, while not certain due to a lack of data other than that it seems to include a large proportion of iPhone 4S users, it appears that only a fraction of iOS 6 adopters experience a WiFi problem. This suggests that (router) firmware and/or settings rather than hardware issues may be playing a role, some part(s) of which interacting in a way that affects WiFi connectivity of iDevices.

Because most of these possibilities aren't of much direct help to those without WiFi, there remains the standard approach outlined by Joemikeb, and others at the Apple Discussions (e.g., by lllaass here). If at all feasible, checking things out at an Apple Store might allow pinpointing the problem further and hopefully fix it.

alternaut moderator
joemikeb #24997 02/12/13 09:55 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

I went to the Apple store today. The iPad can connect there. Brought it back to the condo, and the same: "Safari cannot connect to the internet". The iMac still finds no problem with the WiFi network at the condo.

The ipad is WiFi only. I have, of course, powered off the iPad and then powered it back on. Nada. WiFi is on in Settings. There, my network is shown. I tap to join it and put in the password and I get the message "unable to join the network".

I have reset all Network Settings. Nada. Also in Safari, I cleared cookies and data.

I'm now left with your final resort suggestion -- a full reset. I'll have to get my nerve up for that.

There is something I have not mentioned. Forty days ago my wife let the iPad (it's hers) slip off a pile of newspapers onto a ceramic floor. There is a visible crack on the screen, though one cannot feel it. Right after the accident, we went to talk to the Apple store people about the accident. They said it was not serious unless we twist or otherwise deform the iPad. After that accident, no problems for thirty seven days until the WiFi ceased to work. I figured then as one possibility that the WiFi not working had to do with the accident. But, if so, the WifI should not work at the Apple Store. That was my motivation for today's visit to the store. But today we found out that the WiFI does work on another network!

RHV #24998 02/12/13 10:21 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

Final Intervention: Idiocy prevails when I seek difficult possible solutions instead of the simplest. I MUST learn to do the simple things first -- such as unplugging the #$%!! WiFi router.

Now my sweetie pie no longer needs to use my iMac (whew!), for her iPad is again friendly with our WiFi network.

But thanks. I learned from the helpful comments.

RHV #24999 02/12/13 11:25 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

Greater idiocy prevails, it seems, if one does both unplug the WiFi router and the cable connection.

Unplugging both got the iPad a 20 minutes internet connection and then Nada.

But maybe just disconnecting the cable is key -- disconnecting the power doesn't really matter?)

Last edited by RHV; 02/13/13 12:11 AM. Reason: Silly words
RHV #25000 02/12/13 11:31 PM

> But maybe just disconnecting the cable is key -- disconnecting the power doesn't really matter?

I haven't got all that much WiFi experience, but I can say that powering down has been the first step recommended by support people any time I've called in an issue.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
RHV #25002 02/13/13 12:01 AM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

Nope: My idiocy is not center/centre stage.

Unplugging either just power or both power and the cable from the WiFi router does give rise to our WiFi connection -- but only for a short time. The test at the Apple store today was short term.

It looks more likely now that the IPad hitting the ceramic tile floor is the root of the problem. It created a weakness that can be overcome for a short term but not for a long term. I dunno, but that looks like the best conjecture.

So best to give Apple the broken IPad and buy online a reburbished one.

But I have yet do a full reset via iTunes on my iMac, the parent of the iPad. I don't hope for anything here. But why not do it?

RHV #25015 02/13/13 10:00 PM

Although it can be time consuming, depending on how much stuff your wife has on the iPad and how much of it is "in the cloud", a full reset is easy and very safe. Over the years with several generations of iPhones, two generations of iPads, and far too many complete resets to count, I have never had a problem.

However, before you give up and purchase a new or rebuilt iPad, go to a nearby Starbucks, Wendy's, McDonalds, a neighborhood bar, or any place that offers free WiFi and have a leisurely coffee, lunch, whatever and see if the iPad maintains the connection. The unplug replug routine still makes me suspicious of your router/modem rather than the iPad.

If you do decide to get a new/refurbished iPad can purchase Apple factory refurbished iPads directly from the Apple online store, or from Smalldog Electronics that come with a factory new warranty and are eligible for Applecare as well. You might find something on eBay or other sites that is a bit cheaper, but I have found the factory refurbished products to be a good value. And get our wife an iPad cover that pads the corners and provides cushioning around the face of the screen. There are even very nice clear screen covers to protect the screen itself. protection is a LOT cheaper than a new iPad or screen. Even better, Applecare Plus on the iPad will cover up to two incidents of mishandling damage, like a broken screen, for $49 in addition to the initial cost of Applecare. I wish I had had that coverage when I dropped my previous iPad and shattered the screen. tongue

— Albert Einstein
RHV #25017 02/13/13 11:59 PM

I have experienced a situation similar to yours: iDevice sees the network, but can't join. Or it "thinks" it has joined (wi-fi connection icon at full strength on the menu bar) but no connections happen. Since this failure also has occurred with a wireless Kindle, it is not an iOS problem as far as I can tell.

And yes, my solution is to turn the router off, wait a few seconds, then power it back on. I don't seem to need to power off the DSL box. This has so far has corrected the problem every time BUT the problem does pop up again; perhaps every 4-8 weeks. A fairly simple solution but curious as to what causes the problem to reoccur.

It does not appear to be an interference situation, more like the router just gets tired and needs a rest. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard