I'm happy to hear that you're up and running.
My thumb drive hasn't arrived from the UK yet, and I've decided to not even test it...all I ever intended to do. Having bought it only against a possible future need I'm going to keep it in its sealed factory packaging (and gamble on Apple's quality control) in case the need never arises and I decide to sell it.
> Since ordering I've been led to believe that Apple are withdrawing the thumb drives from sellers so if this is true this may not be available as a way to upgrade for much longer either. Very short-sighted on Apple's part if this is the case as I can't be the only person who hasn't rushed to upgrade until I needed to.
Sellers, hmmm... I guess Apple marketed the thumb drives differently in the UK/Europe/overseas(?) than it did here in the US; Apple was their only
seller here, and even authorized Apple resellers had to pay full price for them.
I guess different marketing strategies would account for the wide disparity in price between thumb drives sold by US and European sellers.
And even if they can and do "withdraw
" merchandise from sellers (Apple always discontinues sales of OSs as soon as their successors are released.) there will never be a shortage of resellers of used media.
The issue will first become an issue when Apple releases OS X 10.9 (Mountain Goat?), leaving no Mountain Lion media behind, but that's already being dealt with by sellers of bootleg ML thumb drives. (Short-sighted? Hmmm...) (Kind of mind-boggling eBay page)