Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A run on guns
#24443 12/17/12 02:35 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I saw a news item this morning reporting that, due to a fear of gun-control legislation, there has been a run on gun stores with guns and ammo crossing the counter about as quickly as it could be placed there. In the piece I watched one person had an armload of ammunition.

I wondered, even if a person believes they need an automatic or rapid-fire weapon to protect themselves from a home invader (I don't), how many times do they think they're going to be invaded and how many invaders are they expecting?

It seems some think it's going to be a horde a week.

Last edited by ryck; 12/17/12 02:36 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: A run on guns
ryck #24446 12/17/12 05:33 PM

At this point whatever might happen re gun-control legislation after Newtown is a guess. Personally I suspect there might be (talk about) some sort of assault rifle restriction at the Federal level. No idea what's being contemplated at State levels. But regardless of what's going on, I'm not optimistic about common sense prevailing.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #24447 12/17/12 05:40 PM

I'm not optimistic either, but Senator Manchin, Defender of Gun Rights, Shifts His View. BTW, "common sense" is an oxymoron.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #24448 12/17/12 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
BTW, "common sense" is an oxymoron.

I understand, and I believe that's part of the problem.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #24449 12/17/12 07:43 PM

Just jumping back into the fray for the nonce ... and then I'll disappear again. I figured this subject would pop up.

"Assault rifle" means one thing and one thing only: a weapon that can be fired in full automatic mode. (And this time round The New York Times and The Globe and Mail got it right in their reportage.)
Examples from the war field are the AK-47 (safe / semiautomatic / full automatic) and from NATO (including USA and Canada) M16 and currently M4, which have selective fire (semiauto / 3-shot burst / full auto).

The .223 Bushmaster M4 "knock-off" is available to civilians in semiautomatic; the military and police can acquire it with semiauto + full auto.

More pertinently, assault rifles and true machine guns (eg, tommy guns from way back when) have always been restricted in the USA, although it is possible to acquire such if one goes through the Dept of the Treasury and files considerable paperwork plus fees for so doing. The same holds true for sound suppressors ("silencers"). In all cases, Big Brother knows who and where you are. The obvious exceptions to the rule are smuggled and otherwise illegal weapons ... which obviously are not covered by law.

In no mass shootings in recent history has the legality of the weapons involved been challenged. All were legal and legally obtained.

Corrective measures can only deal with the (potential) perpetrator and not the instrument.

grelber #24450 12/17/12 08:10 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: grelber
In no mass shootings in recent history has the legality of the weapons involved been challenged. All were legal and legally obtained.

True enough....as was the case last Friday. However, the question is: "Why would anyone think they "need" such weapons or so many of them?"

Corrective measures can only deal with the (potential) perpetrator and not the instrument.

After the 1996 shooting rampage in which 35 people died, Australia almost immediately implemented gun control legislation that included a ban on pump-action and automatic weapons. They also tightened up other gun ownership legislation.

In the following decade their firearm homicide rate dropped by 59% and the firearm suicide went down by 65%.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #24451 12/17/12 09:12 PM

That's a fallacy (not to use stronger terms) that the gun lobby would like everyone to believe. The issue is furthermore not weather a particular gun qualifies as 'assault' rifle or not, but weather even the semi-automatic version of such guns should be freely available (apart from the fact that they often can be converted fairly easily to fully automatic). The same question can be asked of things like special ammo types and large capacity clips (e.g., > 10 rounds), particularly because their people-killing effect has long since left the realm of possibility-only.

Obviously, there's also more than enough to fix in the sorry state of psychiatric care in the US and the access to it, but there's absolutely no reason why both contributing factors shouldn't be addressed at the same time, let alone to exempt one of them.

And since enough time will surely be wasted discussing the relative merits of these issues for several more massacres to occur, I'd like to suggest using some of that time to consider erecting a National monument for the hundreds of thousands of innocent victims of the 2nd Amendment, whether they would have been for or against its current liberal interpretation.

But that's just my opinion...

alternaut moderator
alternaut #24512 12/22/12 10:09 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: alternaut
At this point whatever might happen re gun-control legislation after Newtown is a guess. Personally I suspect there might be (talk about) some sort of assault rifle restriction at the Federal level. No idea what's being contemplated at State levels. But regardless of what's going on, I'm not optimistic about common sense prevailing.

I see the NRA is now on record as suggesting that armed guards should be posted in every school. That's one thought.......

However, perhaps the flip side would be a better idea.......that is, post a teacher in every gun shop to teach alternative values.

Last edited by ryck; 12/22/12 10:09 PM.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #24513 12/23/12 12:43 AM

The NRA's suggestion of posting an armed police officer in every school in the country is a bit peculiar. Doesn't the NRA say that we need to have unrestricted access to guns in order to avoid...err, a police state?

I know, maybe we should put police in every school to shoot bad guys, and armed teachers in every school to shoot the police and prevent a police state!

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #24517 12/23/12 05:58 AM

Armed teachers, that's downright brilliant! I can see it already: a 120 lbs teacher trying to control her hormonal, impulsive and possibly even angry students, most of whom outweigh her and can easily take her gun from her for all kinds of fun and games. Who could possibly be against that?

alternaut moderator
tacit #24519 12/24/12 01:14 AM

Does the NRA remember what happened at Columbine? There were two armed police officers on the scene and they were unable to do anything to prevent the slaughter except fire some bullets in the general direction of the killers (and the school for that matter).

As far as armed teachers goes, very responsible police officers have said that if they go into a school with armed teachers, they are as likely to shoot the teacher as they are the assassin because they would have no way to tell the difference.

Potentially the most dangerous thing used in the Columbine shootings were common propane gas cylinders available at any hardware, drug, or grocery store. Had those been used as the shooters intended they had the potential to kill a lot more people than the guns did. Providing tolerable security for schools, or any public facility, presents no easy or simple answers.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney
ryck #24520 12/24/12 01:57 AM

I remain confused…

The same teachers that just few weeks ago were too inept to determine and control their participation in a union, are now being encouraged to carry guns in to the classroom.

How reassuring it is that they have, in but a few weeks, become wise and competent.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #24521 12/24/12 09:01 AM

I dunno... The last three posts have given credibility to a thought that I'd be willing to bet tacit posted totally tongue-in-cheekedly.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #24523 12/24/12 09:24 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
I remain confused…

The same teachers that just few weeks ago were too inept to determine and control their participation in a union, are now being encouraged to carry guns in to the classroom.

No..that's not the intended meaning of my post. I would not encourage guns anywhere in a school in anyone's hands - guards, teachers, or otherwise.

I should have replaced "That's one thought......" with a tongue-in-cheek icon. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by ryck; 12/24/12 09:26 AM.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #24524 12/24/12 09:30 AM

The confusion is in that your thought was placing a teacher in every gun shop, whereas it was tacit who suggested arming the teachers...tongue-in-cheek, too, I assume.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #24525 12/24/12 09:33 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Does the NRA remember what happened at Columbine? There were two armed police officers on the scene and they were unable to do anything to prevent the slaughter except fire some bullets in the general direction of the killers (and the school for that matter).

I believe there were armed guards at Virginia Tech too, and they didn't reduce the slaughter there either.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #24527 12/24/12 09:43 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
The confusion is in that your thought was placing a teacher in every gun shop, ...tongue-in-cheek, too, I assume.

Yes....just a jest.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #24528 12/24/12 09:43 AM

The CT police have said that the guy was so heavily armed they couldn't have taken him out with standard issue equipment even had they been present.

And bottom line for me is that children shouldn't have to grow up feeling that they need armed guards in their schools to protect them from NRA spawned psychos!

artie505 #24529 12/24/12 09:56 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

And bottom line for me is that children shouldn't have to grow up feeling that they need armed guards in their schools to protect them from NRA spawned psychos!

I agree fully. It seems to me that, if children are educated while surrounded by armament, they will simply be "learning" some wrong concepts in addition to their classroom studies.

Last edited by ryck; 12/24/12 09:56 AM.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
tacit #24530 12/24/12 02:38 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: tacit
The NRA's suggestion of posting an armed police officer in every school in the country is a bit peculiar.

And even more peculiar when you think that applying their logic to scenes like this will mean that armed guards should accompany firefighters going about their work.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #24532 12/24/12 04:31 PM

I dunno... The last three posts have given credibility to a thought that I'd be willing to bet tacit posted totally tongue-in-cheekedly.

I'm sure you're right about tacit's intention, given the fact that so many others quite seriously proposed it in recent days (which probably contributed to his decision to post it in the first place). The thing is that this notion, like so many others that haven't been properly thought through, squarely ran into the law of unintended consequences with a force that prompted me to spell out one of those consequences.

It turns out that picking the proper græmlin(s) to unequivocally convey 'ridiculous seriousness' or 'serious ridiculousness' isn't all that easy, if at all possible. [Note to self: try harder.] laugh

alternaut moderator
alternaut #24558 12/27/12 07:40 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: alternaut
At this point whatever might happen re gun-control legislation after Newtown is a guess.

Not unexpectedly the NRA thinks everything should be examined except gun regulations. That blinkered and partisan attitude seems well-described by a few words from a Molly Ivins essay written in 1995: "Getting Control of the Frontier"'.

“It's all very well to run around saying regulation is bad, get the government off our backs, etc. Of course our lives are regulated. When you come to a stop sign, you stop; if you want to go fishing, you get a license; if you want to shoot ducks, you can shoot only three ducks. The alternative is dead bodies at the intersection, no fish, and no ducks. OK?"

Last edited by ryck; 12/27/12 07:41 PM.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #24560 12/27/12 08:07 PM

Armed guards will keep us safe; much as the hundreds of [heavily] armed (and well-trained) personnel precluded the carnage at Ft. Hood…

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #24562 12/27/12 08:37 PM

In an amazing demonstration of the notion that there is no idea that is so bad Arizona won't try it, the state attorney general is calling for arming the principal of each public school.

We've tried the armed guards idea; Columbine had armed guards. It didn't work then. I wonder why these folks think it will work now?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #24563 12/27/12 09:12 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: tacit
I wonder why these folks think it will work now?

Because sometimes stupidity is invincible.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard