for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jobs' yacht "Venus" launched
#23969 10/29/12 03:45 PM
OP Offline

A bit over one year after his death, Steve Jobs' yacht "Venus" was launched at the builder's wharf in Aalsmeer, The Netherlands. Jobs' widow and his three children attended the launch and presented gifts to all involved in the 6 year construction. Jobs and French designer Philippe Starck participated in the design, and managed to impart a definite personal touch upon the Feadships' increasingly 'stark' appearance. It features a.o. seven 27" iMacs on the bridge to display the ship's virtual instruments. The (oceangoing) yacht will be shipped to the US by freighter.

alternaut moderator
Re: Jobs' yacht "Venus" launched
alternaut #24496 12/21/12 05:51 PM
OP Offline

The Dutch paper Het Financieele Dagblad reported that French designer Philippe Starck had the Venus seized on December 8, just before it was to leave Amsterdam harbor. Apparently there is a disagreement about Starck's fee, which was to be 6% of the yacht's budgeted cost price of €150 million. Jobs' heirs claim that price ultimately was only €105 million, costing Starck €3 million. Word is that lawyers of both parties are working on a resolution.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #24499 12/22/12 12:03 AM

I dunno what others think, but in my opinion, that is the ugliest damn boat I've ever seen in my life!

It has none of the sleekness that makes boats the things of beauty they are...looks more like a beach-house on a barge.

I'll be really curious to see if anybody buys it and for how much if it ever goes on the block. €105??? Wow!!! That's more than $500,000/ft (guesstimate).

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #24501 12/22/12 02:07 AM
OP Offline

There's no arguing about taste, but I must confess I wasn't exactly bowled over by beauty when I beheld the Venus. You may have noticed me referring to recent yacht exterior design as 'stark'. That wasn't (just) a pun on the main designer of the Venus, because Jobs himself is rumored to have had a serious hand in its design. It's the combination of vertical or inverted bows with severe horizontal or wildly curvy contour lines, huge blind surfaces and strangely large or invisible windows. You may see stranger looking vessels than the Venus. A few examples (in no particular order):

- Asan 62
- Cronos
- New Explorer
- U-010
- Maltese Falcon
- Wallypower 118 (Wally Yachts Home page)

If this isn't (clear) enough, here are Trendhunter's 50 Badass Modern Boat Designs and Google's view of contemporary yacht design. Enjoy!

alternaut moderator
alternaut #24505 12/22/12 08:13 AM

Thanks for a bit of fun. smile (The Venus remains the ugliest damned boat I've ever seen.)

I've already begun saving to buy the Maltese Falcon. (I'll have to capture the 19 man crew in battle.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #24506 12/22/12 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
The Venus remains the ugliest damned boat I've ever seen.

Maybe it's just not photogenic. laugh

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #24507 12/22/12 02:14 PM

I can't make up my mind between the Cronos and the Wally 118. But the wind/solar/electric power of the Cronos is really appealing. (I couldn't afford the fuel to power the Wally 118 out of the harbor.)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #24508 12/22/12 04:11 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I can't make up my mind between the Cronos and the Wally 118.

I'm sorry to hear that! smirk If you like the 118 but are put off by the smell of fuel, there's also a sailing version, the Otto. Doesn't come with the crew though... But if you feel the Otto is too spartan and you have some friends at hand to help you with the rigging, check out the Saudade. Then again, if you prefer a bit more tranquillity and greenery in your floating abode, WallyLabs' Why design is for you. In all cases, a bottom banner with thumbnails offers various views of these yachts.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #24514 12/23/12 12:46 AM

The U-010 at least has a design that makes sense. Underwater vehicles are severely constrained in their overall design parameters by the environment they will be maneuvering in, so there are limits to what designers can do to make them more ugly (or more beautiful).

The rest of the ships, though...the designers are trying too hard. Way, way too hard.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #24516 12/23/12 01:37 AM

> The rest of the ships, though...the designers are trying too hard. Way, way too hard.

I wonder whether you can sell $50,000,000 and up toys any other way?

Edit: There's obviously a market for mundane mega-yachts, but I'll bet there's a long line of mega-milionaires looking for boats that trump the competition, and the designers are doing a hell of a job trying to satisfy them.

Last edited by artie505; 12/23/12 08:59 AM.

alternaut #24531 12/24/12 04:04 PM
OP Offline

The Jobs' heirs appear to have reached an agreement with Philippe Starck and, according to rumor, have placed an envelope under the French designer's Christmas tree. The Dutch TFD paper reported today that the Venus has been released to continue its journey.

Merry Christmas to all! laugh

alternaut moderator

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard