for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Filtering Portals - Many to Many
#2411 08/30/09 02:57 AM
OP Offline

Help! I'm having problems figuring out how to split a single large portal into two (or many) separate portals. I've got a many to many join. The samples I've seen all involve either a one to many relationship, or a self-relationship.

I posted the question on one help forum, but didn't get a lot of help. I really need to be walked through the solution, kindergarten style, before I can sort.

Thank you.

Re: Filtering Portals - Many to Many
barbara_bundick #2414 08/30/09 04:00 AM

please clarify "portals" for us

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #2436 08/30/09 12:20 PM
OP Offline

Sorry about that. I'm trying to design this database in Filemaker 10. A "portal" is how you get records from one table to show up in a layout based on a different table.

For example - what I'm trying to do is track people who support our presbytery (the local "diocese" equivalent for Presbyterians.) I have one table of people - both clergy and lay - and a second table of churches, with a join table in between. A portal allows me to show related people on a record about each church.

What I'd like to do sometimes is set up two portals - one that shows only the related clergy, and one that shows only the related layfolk. But when I try to do that, I end up with two portals showing the same people.

There is supposed to be a way to set things up so that one portal will only show one and the second will only show the latter, but I can't figure it out.

Does that help?

barbara_bundick #2556 08/31/09 04:47 PM

doesn't help me help you, but that should be the additional background that someone that knows FM better than I needs to answer your question.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard