Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
XML Conversion Failure
#23953 10/28/12 01:06 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

After having to re-install XML Converter, it now fails to convert. Instead I get this message:

objc[200]: Class NLAssertionHandler is implemented in both

/Applications/Open XML Converter.app/Contents/SharedSupport/wordcvtr

and

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office Converter Support/Open XML for Word.framework/Versions/12/../../../MicrosoftComponentPlugin.framework/Versions/12/MicrosoftComponentPlugin.

One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Conversion failed

So, it appears I need to get rid of something but I'm not sure what. Any thoughts?

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: XML Conversion Failure
ryck #23957 10/28/12 09:23 AM

I have found two possible plists that might be at fault. Both are located in ~/Library/Preferences

com.microsoft.OfficeConverter.plist
com.microsoft.openxml.chart.app.plist

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #23958 10/28/12 10:43 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Jon. That didn't work.

I used CleanApp to uninstall everything including the entire Application Support folder to XML Converter.....but nada.

As this is a document that's gone back and forth between me and a Windows person, I went back to a couple of earlier versions. They opened.

So, it appears there's something the other person has done inside the document that XML Converter doesn't like.

I suppose I should have done that check first although the current document didn't have any changes, that I could see from a PDF version, other than some text formatting and the addition of a small graphic.

Last edited by ryck; 10/28/12 11:07 AM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #23975 10/29/12 11:02 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: ryck
So, it appears there's something the other person has done inside the document that XML Converter doesn't like.

And now it appears that may not be correct. I've just tried to open a .docx file downloaded from Microsoft and it generated the same Console message.

objc[710]: Class NLAssertionHandler is implemented in both /Applications/Open XML Converter.app/Contents/SharedSupport/wordcvtr

and

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office Converter Support/Open XML for Word.framework/Versions/12/../../../MicrosoftComponentPlugin.framework/Versions/12/MicrosoftComponentPlugin. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Conversion failed

I guess I do need to get rid of whatever is causing a conflict.

Last edited by ryck; 10/29/12 11:04 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #23979 10/30/12 10:18 AM

Sounds like you might want to check for any further updates to the Microsoft Office suite on the Microsoft updates page...and install/reinstall as appropriate...if everything you have installed is current, then I might try isolating one of the the plugins that your log entry is pointing to by changing its' name temporarily (using the Terminal to drill down the path called out in the log entry) so that when called it won't answer.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
ryck #23980 10/30/12 11:18 AM

Back in the day when I still had a version of Microsoft Office installed on my iMac I found that in the long term when a situation of any sort arose the quickest fix was invariably to run the Office Uninstaller and then re-install from scratch. I learned that trick while working for Microsoft training support "engineers".

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
MacManiac #24027 11/03/12 03:27 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
Sounds like you might want to check for any further updates to the Microsoft Office suite on the Microsoft updates page...and install/reinstall as appropriate...if everything you have installed is current, then I might try isolating one of the the plugins that your log entry is pointing to...

I could only get access to the to plug-ins...

MicrosoftComponentPlugin.framework and MicrosoftComponentPlugin.

...by going directly to the Application Support/XML Support folder.

I removed each plug-in separately and together but each attempt to open a .docx or .xlsx document, after a plug-in removal, generated this message:

Open XML Converter cannot find the components needed to convert files. To restore these components, install the Open XML Converter again.

I then trashed the XML Converter application as well as the XML Support folder. I reinstalled XML Converter V 1.2.1 and I now have XML "sort of" working.

"Sort of" means: prior to this problem XML Converter worked in the background and simply opened and converted documents. It still does that with Excel and Power Point. However, Word is another story.

A Word conversion does not work in the background. It opens two windows. The first is a "Welcome to XML Converter...." which must be told to go away. The second window follows the conversion process and must be told to go away once it's finished.

Also, and here's the real pain, Word documents don't open as .docx documents. They open as .rtf and there doesn't appear to be anything in any preferences to change that.

So I'm wondering if your suggestion is a better approach.

....then I might try isolating one of the the plugins that your log entry is pointing to by changing its' name temporarily (using the Terminal to drill down the path called out in the log entry) so that when called it won't answer.

However, I don't know how to do that.

Last edited by ryck; 11/03/12 03:32 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #24028 11/03/12 03:30 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
....when a situation of any sort arose the quickest fix was invariably to run the Office Uninstaller and then re-install from scratch.

I gave that a try but my original install disk doesn't seem to care for current versions of OSX. The disk simply froze.

Last edited by ryck; 11/03/12 03:30 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #24032 11/03/12 06:05 PM

> Also, and here's the real pain, Word documents don't open as .docx documents. They open as .rtf and there doesn't appear to be anything in any preferences to change that.

I don't know whether this is what you're looking for, but didn't the same issue come up a while back and get resolved by changing the .rtf to .docx?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #24033 11/03/12 06:15 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
....didn't the same issue come up a while back and get resolved by changing the .rtf to .docx?

I don't know. If it did, it isn't a thread I recall.

I had problems before with the XML not converting .docx documents at all, but it turned out to be an issue with a particular document from the sender. That person's previous documents had all worked fine.

This time around there are two issues:

1. Word, and only Word, is not working in the background.

2. Word is not being converted to a Word document.

I can do "Save As" to .docx but, between that and the two windows, it's a giant pain in the ......

Last edited by ryck; 11/03/12 06:16 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #24034 11/03/12 06:25 PM

I'm pretty sure you brought up the same issue a while back, and I believe it was I who first suggested changing the suffix, because I had run into the same issue.

As I recall, it worked for you last time.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #24037 11/03/12 07:16 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm pretty sure you brought up the same issue a while back....

I think you're referring to this thread which did involve the XML Converter. However the converter was neither opening with windows nor converting Word documents to .rtf files.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #24038 11/03/12 07:25 PM

Nope. There's an older thread in which I participated.

But rather than going back and forth about when and where, have you tried what I suggested?

Edit: I can't say with 100% certainty that the thread to which I'm referring was yours, but I believe it was.

Last edited by artie505; 11/03/12 07:26 PM.

artie505 #24042 11/03/12 09:23 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

....have you tried what I suggested?

If I drag the email attachment to the desktop, change the suffix to .doc and double-click, it will convert as a .doc

However, before it accepts the suffix change I must answer whether that's what I want to do. Also, in order to return the document to the sender I must "Save As" to get it back to .docx There's no change in the number of steps I need to go through.

I'm trying to get Word back to what I had and which both Excel and Power Point continue to do....click on the attachment and it converts automatically and in the background.

In addition the the above I also tried installing the V.1 version of XML Converter and then updating it to 1.2.1, rather than a straight ahead installation of 1.2.1

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #24044 11/04/12 05:01 AM

> If I drag the email attachment to the desktop, change the suffix to .doc and double-click, it will convert as a .doc

And if you change the suffix to .docx rather than to .doc?

Edit: I realize that you'd prefer not to have to use workarounds, but...

Last edited by artie505; 11/04/12 05:02 AM.

artie505 #24048 11/04/12 12:13 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

And if you change the suffix to .docx rather than to .doc?

But that's the issue. The documents are already .docx but are not being opened properly. The document that gets dragged to the desktop is already a .docx

Here's what used to happen:

1. Email would arrive with a .docx attachment.

2. I would click on it and, with the converter working in the background, the .docx would open.

3. I would modify it and save it as a .docx document that got attached to a return email.

Here's what happens now:

1. Email arrives with a .docx attachment.

2. I click on it and the converter opens a window advising that conversion is underway.

3. The document opens, but has been converted to a .rtf document.

The other two MS applications in the Office suite, Excel and Power Point, are working the same as always. It is only Word that doesn't convert correctly.

That's why I thought MacManiac's terminal idea might be worth trying but I need instructions.

Last edited by ryck; 11/04/12 12:17 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #24054 11/04/12 08:29 PM

> Here's what happens now:

1. Email arrives with a .docx attachment.

2. I click on it and the converter opens a window advising that conversion is underway.

3. The document opens, but has been converted to a .rtf document.

I follow that. I was just wondering what would happen if you changed that final .rtf to .docx, rather than .doc as you've described.

artie505 #24060 11/04/12 10:27 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I follow that. I was just wondering what would happen if you changed that final .rtf to .docx, rather than .doc as you've described.

I do, by a "Save As", after I've modified it.

I don't know much about .rtf documents and my concern is that, if the change to .rtf loses some functionalities of a full Word document, I will have problems when I am dealing with something that is more complicated than just text.

I have lost the conversion I've always had - Word to Word - and now have a conversion to a lesser document in between.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #24062 11/04/12 11:27 PM

I've stuck to this line of thought because a while back XML Converter was opening my .xls docs as .rtfs, but simply changing the .rtf to .xls got them opening correctly formatted with no further ado.

Try a command-D on one of your recalcitrant .rtfs, and see what happens if you change the dupe's suffix from .rtf to .docx.

artie505 #24072 11/05/12 07:04 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Try a command-D on one of your recalcitrant .rtfs, and see what happens if you change the dupe's suffix from .rtf to .docx.

I went into User/Library/Mail Downloads and selected one of the .rtfs. I changed the suffix to .docx and the icon changed to a .docx icon. However, when I double=clicked to open it, the conversion failed and the Console had the same message.

objc[2558]: Class NLAssertionHandler is implemented in both /Applications/Open XML Converter.app/Contents/SharedSupport/wordcvtr and /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office Converter Support/Open XML for Word.framework/Versions/12/../../../MicrosoftComponentPlugin.framework/Versions/12/MicrosoftComponentPlugin. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

The file is not the right file type.

Conversion failed

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #24073 11/05/12 08:00 AM

Damn! I was really hoping that would work.

I reread the entire thread and found that this was never addressed:

So I'm wondering if your suggestion is a better approach.

....then I might try isolating one of the the plugins that your log entry is pointing to by changing its' name temporarily (using the Terminal to drill down the path called out in the log entry) so that when called it won't answer.

However, I don't know how to do that.

I'm not certain what MacManiac had in mind with "drill down," but since there's a conflict between two converters trying to convert your doc at the same time, and it somehow seems likely ( tongue ) that the one in /Applications/Open XML Converter.app is the one that should be doing the work, you can "turn the other one off" by navigating to /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office Converter Support/Open XML for Word.framework and simply inserting an *, like so: /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office Converter Support/*Open XML for Word.framework.

I think that's what MM had in mind, and it's certainly worth a try, although even if it works we won't have a clue as to why. (Have you Googled the issue?)

And if it doesn't work, post back and I'll tell you how to turn the converter in the app off (after you've turned the other on back on).

Out of curiosity... Which version of Office does your original disc install that won't install in OS X 10.6.8? (I had no trouble with Office X when I was running it.)

artie505 #24077 11/05/12 04:35 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Out of curiosity... Which version of Office does your original disc install that won't install in OS X 10.6.8?

It appear I was wrong. It's the Setup Assistant installer that freezes (V11.0.0 (040329)) at the point where it asks for personal data to be input.

I did a quick experiment with just dragging the Office folder to the desktop and it immediately began copying files. I stopped it. The Word version is (V 11.0.0 (040408))

There is no version information on either the disk or the box - just the Product Key number. Curious they should be called V11.0.0 when they must be V1.

Anyway, although it appears I could now install everything from scratch, I'd just as soon first try turning the converter off in the app - and avoid having to do all those updates.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #24078 11/05/12 04:36 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

....you can "turn the other one off" by navigating to /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office Converter Support/Open XML for Word.framework and simply inserting an *, like so: /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office Converter Support/*Open XML for Word.framework.

I think that's what MM had in mind, and it's certainly worth a try, although even if it works we won't have a clue as to why. (Have you Googled the issue?)

That didn't work. I just got the message:

[color:#CC0000]Open XML Converter cannot find the components needed to convert files. To restore these components, install the Open XML Converter again.

I haven't Googled the issue.

Out of curiosity... Which version of Office does your original disc install that won't install in OS X 10.6.8?

It appears I was wrong. It's the Setup Assistant installer that freezes (V11.0.0 (040329)) at the point where it asks for personal data to be input.

I did a quick experiment with just dragging the Office folder to the desktop and it immediately began copying files. I stopped it. The Word version is (V 11.0.0 (040408))

There is no version information on either the disk or the box - just the Product Key number. Curious they should be called V11.0.0 when they must be V1.

Anyway, although it appears I could now install everything from scratch, I'd just as soon first try turning the converter off in the app - and avoid having to do all those updates.

Last edited by ryck; 11/05/12 04:36 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #24080 11/05/12 05:34 PM

Curious they should be called V11.0.0 when they must be V1.

V.11.x refers to (components of) Office 2004 (Mac). Likewise v.12 refers to Office 2008, and v.13 to Office 2012.

alternaut moderator
ryck #24089 11/06/12 09:43 AM

....you can "turn the other one off" by navigating to /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office Converter Support/Open XML for Word.framework and simply inserting an *, like so: /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office Converter Support/*Open XML for Word.framework.

That didn't work. I just got the message:

Open XML Converter cannot find the components needed to convert files. To restore these components, install the Open XML Converter again.

OK... After you turn /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office Converter Support/Open XML for Word.framework back on by removing the *, here's what you do:
  1. Navigate to /Applications/Open XML Converter.app
  2. Control/right click on the app
  3. Click on "Show Package Contents"
  4. Navigate to /Contents/SharedSupport/wordcvtr
  5. Turn off "wordcvtr," same as before
  6. Pray, but maybe read the following first
I did a Google search for "Class NLAssertionHandler is implemented in both /Applications/Open XML Converter.app/Contents/SharedSupport/wordcvtr and /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office Converter Support/Open XML for Word.framework/Versions/12/../../../MicrosoftComponentPlugin.framework/Versions/12/MicrosoftComponentPlugin" and came up with Open XML conversion failed after updating word and Open XML Converter, which is somewhat informative, but not the least bit helpful.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard