for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
This major site doesn't work for me...
#24009 11/02/12 04:26 PM
OP Offline

Can you spare a couple of minutes to see if this site works for you? It's good that you are also all on Macs.

Tesco is one of the world's biggest retailers, including in USA. The home page looks ok, but when you click on Groceries it all goes out of whack. Buttons don't work, sliders in wrong places, screen layout so mad it takes me back to OS9 days.

It can't be them, or they'd know about it, so it has to be something at the user end. Firefox/Mozilla's instructions have been followed to the letter:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/websites-look-wrong-or-appear-differently

There was some slight improvement but nowhere near full functionality afterwards. Yes I am on the latest Firefox.

No better results on Safari or IE either.

Here's the site link main page: http://www.tesco.com/

Looks ok, doesn't it? Try clicking on Fresh Food..... http://www.tesco.com/groceries/ and see what happens next. Especially at the bottom of the page. See all that scrambled text/links/banners/logos? Good. It's not just me then.

Last edited by cyn; 11/03/12 12:01 AM. Reason: Topic moved from the Lounge to the Networking forum.
Re: This major site doesn't work for me...
Bensheim #24010 11/02/12 05:24 PM

I'm sorry to have to report that your Tesco groceries page looks fine (and identical) to me in both Safari 5.0.6 and in TenFourFoxG5 10.0.10. This is on a 2005 G5 iMac running Mac OS X 10.5.8. Let's see what more current OS/Safari(alternatives) users have to say. Meanwhile, methinks your Mac may have stepped in some doodoo... smirk

alternaut moderator
Bensheim #24011 11/02/12 05:43 PM

It works fine for me with Safari 5.1.7 and Firefox 16.0.2 in OS 10.6.8.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
alternaut #24012 11/02/12 05:55 PM
OP Offline

Like Jon,

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
It works fine for me with Safari 5.1.7 and Firefox 16.0.2 in OS 10.6.8.

I have Firefox 16.0.2
OS 10.6.8
Safari 5.1.7

It is the only website out of so many! which I use or visit daily, which does not work as it should;

It worked fine last time I ordered from there: if it hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to order.

This website (obviously) works fine, so does every single one for my work, and so do all others for recreational/casual/research browsing.

It's a puzzle and no mistake.

Edit: just got up and checked on two other Macs here. Same null result.

Last edited by Bensheim; 11/02/12 05:58 PM.
alternaut #24013 11/02/12 06:37 PM

Works fine for me with Safari 6.0.2
Works fine with Firefox 16.0.2
Mountain Lion 10.8.2
Mark

MarkG #24014 11/02/12 07:17 PM
OP Offline

How do I put up a screen-grab of what I see here?

Bensheim #24015 11/02/12 08:38 PM

Unfortunately you cannot upload/post images to these forums. Instead, you must have your images on a freely accessible server, like those of hosting company ImageShack*, and post the link to the images here.

*) This happens to be a US company; I'm not sure if it can be used from the UK. If not, there are surely alternatives.

alternaut moderator
Bensheim #24016 11/02/12 08:39 PM

Mac 10.7.5

Works fine on Safari 6.0.2
Works fine Firefox 16.0.2

wish I could be more help!

(updated my browsers shortly after posting!)

Last edited by roger; 11/02/12 08:48 PM.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
Bensheim #24017 11/02/12 10:46 PM

Go to your browers preferences and delete all the cookies associated with that site. Close the browser and relaunch and you might try rebooting after deleting cookies too. That has worked for me in the past on issues like this.

Douglas #24018 11/02/12 10:52 PM

In addition, Bensheim should clear his browser cache.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #24019 11/02/12 11:47 PM

Browser extensions or plug-ins can sometimes cause otherwise inexplicable glitches. Try disabling any and all Firefox plug-ins.

By-the-way FWIW the site works perfectly in Safari in iOS 6 on the iPad.

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/02/12 11:51 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Bensheim #24021 11/03/12 06:03 AM

It works fine for me in Firefox and Safari, unless I disable JavaScript.

If I disable JavaScript and load the page, it turns into a scrambled mess. The site makes extensive use of JavaScript to hide and show bits of the page, especially when you mouse over the tabs and whatnot. Without JavaScript, the page goes all splodey-like all over the window. Could that be your problem?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #24023 11/03/12 10:43 AM
OP Offline

Thank you all for trying to help!

This is v. odd. When I woke up this morning I had an idea about this, but before I tried it I went to that pesky page anyway. To my amaze it was perfectly ok and as it should be. All that had happened on that Mac was an overnight reboot.

Turning to this Mac (there are four), I rebooted, then went to the pesky page. It was all over the place, the same as yesterday.

That makes no sense whatsoever!

Then I had a look at Firefox preferences, and clicked on the Advanced tab by JavaScript. I clicked on the only thing which was unclicked: Allow scripts to raise or lower windows, clicked ok. Back to pesky page, refreshed.

Ta Daaaa!! Sorted.

There's a lesson in this somewhere. All I can think of, is Tesco is the only website I've ever used which demands that JavaScript be enabled in that particular way.

Bensheim #24025 11/03/12 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
All I can think of, is Tesco is the only website I've ever used which demands that JavaScript be enabled in that particular way.

That and as far as I know, Firefox is the only browser that allows you to enable/disable specific Javascript features. Safari, Lightning, Roccat, Sunrise, and Firefox's cousin Camino can only turn Javascript on or off. The Google browser Chrome and its open source sibling Chromium don't even have the option to turn Javascript off unless it is in the developer tools. Which is why the site worked for everyone using different browsers.

I also noticed in my Firefox preferences the raise or lower windows option was off, and since I didn't even know the option was there in Firefox I assume that is the default. So all in all your problem with the Tesco site is not surprising but the source of the problem was definitely Firefox's and not Tesco's.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #24026 11/03/12 03:22 PM
OP Offline

The mystery thickens, Joe.

Returning to the first Mac, the one where that site worked fine this morning with no intervention from me. Out of curiosity I checked the Firefox/Preferences/JavaScript/Advanced panel.

Whoah! That Mac does not have "Raise or Lower windows" checked. Yet it works fine. shocked

The two Macs are nearly identical: identical software, just slightly different hardware........one is ~18 months older than the other. And it's the older Mac which put up that site perfectly with no intervention from me.

<runs off gibbering>
<no big deal, just a mystery>

Bensheim #24029 11/03/12 03:32 PM
OP Offline

I've got another trifling irritation for you'all if you have a minute.

There's a site I visit daily for work. Up till a couple of days ago I would print out the pages I need by opting for Print from page 1 to page 1.

Now they've redesigned everything (they do that a LOT there, and never for any good reason) and I have to Print from page 2 to page 2, to get the same result. This is because Page 1 comes up blank apart from headers, and the actual data is on page 2, now.

Blasted developers. mad

Here's the page. Looks ok on the screen, doesn't it? Go to print it, though and all the data is on page two.

https://globalderivatives.nyx.com/en/contract/content/29203/settlement-prices

Bensheim #24030 11/03/12 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
Here's the page. Looks ok on the screen, doesn't it? Go to print it, though and all the data is on page two.

It printed okay for me. It printed to paper as a single page and also a Print to PDF generated a one page PDF.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I use Safari.

Given Jon's additional test I also had the link open in FireFox (V 16.0.2) and it opened in Print Preview as 3 pages. Header page 1, Data page 2, Footer page 3)

Last edited by ryck; 11/03/12 06:26 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Bensheim #24031 11/03/12 04:12 PM

I didn't actually print it but it shows with all the data on page 1 and nothing on page 2 in the print dialog window. The same happens if I open it in Preview.

EDIT: The above is true for Safari. In Firefox, I see the same thing as you (all data on page 2) when I open the page in Preview, although there are three pages (the last is blank, as is the first).

Last edited by jchuzi; 11/03/12 04:14 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #24036 11/03/12 07:08 PM
OP Offline

Ryck and Jon, those experiments which you kindly did, are such a relief. I read your earlier posts and then went away to do something else.

Returning, I find that you have the same results as me, in Firefox. Back-experimenting, I tried that site in Safari and as you say, it works there.

Well, Safari is only in my world as a back-up, in extremis, resource, because it came with the Macs. I use the Chicago Commodities Exchange 6 days out of 7 for work and I really don't see why I should fire up a non-Firefox browser every day just for them. I'll stick with print page 2 of 2 for now: they'll redesign their website again in a few months. They always do.

The Chicago exchange techies are really tough: I actually phoned them once, when they had yet again rearranged their vast website and I could not find the derivatives I needed. Shouting down the phone, they "said", (rudely IMO) "WHAT VERSION BROWSER YOU ON?"

You don't get that kind of customer service in England. (joke: it's worse! You get no response whatsoever, or get sucked into an endless whirlpool of 'for this press 1', 'for that press 2', 'for the other press 3', 'for anything else hold on'.....for Ever until you give up and rant about it/them on public messageboards.)

Since you did, thanks for reading. smile

Last edited by Bensheim; 11/03/12 07:10 PM.
Bensheim #24039 11/03/12 07:28 PM

FWIW, my results are identical to Jon's, except perhaps for the fact that TenFourFox displays the NYSE-EuroNext - Global Derivatives title on the first page, and the actual data on the second (with nothing on the third). In addition, Preview/PDF-prints from neither browser include the right hand sidebar (Find it Fast, Contract Info, In this section) or the bottom links.
And while it doesn't seem to play a role here, it's good to remember that different printers (drivers/settings) may produce variations too.

alternaut moderator
joemikeb #24052 11/04/12 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

That and as far as I know, Firefox is the only browser that allows you to enable/disable specific Javascript features. Safari, Lightning, Roccat, Sunrise, and Firefox's cousin Camino can only turn Javascript on or off. The Google browser Chrome and its open source sibling Chromium don't even have the option to turn Javascript off unless it is in the developer tools. Which is why the site worked for everyone using different browsers.

iCab

iCab JavaScript preferences (image)

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard