for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Retrieving from Time Machine
#23944 10/27/12 08:21 PM
OP Offline

This is the first time I've had to retrieve something from Time Machine and I am finding the directions to do so difficult. See below:

Restore a single file or folder
If you’re just looking for a certain file or folder, start by connecting your drive and launching Time Machine. Choose Enter Time Machine. All of your saved backups will appear in chronological order, and you can use the visual timeline on the right hand side to scroll through your backups to look for specific items or folders. Older dates are indicated in pink, which show data saved on your backup drive, and the most updated data on your Mac is indicated in white (hint: It says “Now” in bold, white letters).

I don't know where to access the actual time machine. I clicked on Time Machine in the finder and just got a little window saying "backups". I click on it but it just goes from folder to folder. When I clicked on the Applications folder in this series, and then Stickies, it said I can't open it because it's in a time machine backup! What? I typed "stickies" into the spotlight within the Finder and three different stickies come up but it's just saying I HAVE Stickies. I want a certain sticky file because I accidentally deleted it.

So, I can't find a way to "Enter the Time Machine" as described above. Feeling pretty silly right now. I need a step by step that I can follow.

Thanks.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Retrieving from Time Machine
plantsower #23945 10/27/12 08:34 PM
OP Offline

OK, I watched a short video and realized I have to enter time machine from the icon on my toolbar. Duh! I clicked on Time Machine and entered time machine.

I picked a date and chose applications and then stickies.

Then when I clicked on stickies it says "open stickies" but it doesn't open. Now I am literally stuck. I need to get into the stickies folder for some info.

Anyone know how to do this? Thanks. If I figure it out, I'll be back.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #23946 10/27/12 08:38 PM

In your menu bar there's an icon that looks like an arrow rotating counterclockwise around clock hands. It's what you're looking for.

In the Finder locate the file you wish to replace with an older version.

Click on the TM Icon in the menu bar and then click on Enter Time Machine.

You'll end up with a smaller window containing the file you selected. On one side of your screen you'll have a column with all the backups and their dates/times.

Choose the one you want.

You'll then see the screen go to the file recorded at that date & time.

Then you can click on Restore, which will be on the bottom of your screen.

Last edited by ryck; 10/27/12 08:39 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
plantsower #23947 10/27/12 08:53 PM

The file you need is located in Users/Your Short Name/Library/Application Support/Stickies, Rita. (At least it is in OS X 10.6.8.)

There should be one folder in there that contains a file for each Stickie you had at the time of the backup.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #23948 10/27/12 10:12 PM
OP Offline

Artie: It's different with Mt. Lion 10.8.2. For one, library is hidden unless you use the option key under "Go". I tried it and it just has a stickie database which isn't helpful. Grrrrr!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #23949 10/27/12 10:50 PM

Ryck has the correct instructions, and the Stickies database is what you want to recover. The individual sticky notes are NOT saved as individual files rather they are records in the stickiesdatabase. However when you restore the stickiesdatabase you will be offered the option to either replace the current file or save both copies. So you could save both, open the older version (the more recent version is labeled stickiesdatase (original) and access the errant record that way.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
ryck #23950 10/27/12 11:00 PM
OP Offline

OK, I did what you said. I got this message: “Stickies.app” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by Mac OS X."
It looks like it thinks I want to modify the whole app instead of restoring one of my folders. I can't find any individual stickies. Just the app in the finder. Not sure where to go from here.

Rita

Originally Posted By: ryck
In your menu bar there's an icon that looks like an arrow rotating counterclockwise around clock hands. It's what you're looking for.

In the Finder locate the file you wish to replace with an older version.

Click on the TM Icon in the menu bar and then click on Enter Time Machine.

You'll end up with a smaller window containing the file you selected. On one side of your screen you'll have a column with all the backups and their dates/times.

Choose the one you want.

You'll then see the screen go to the file recorded at that date & time.

Then you can click on Restore, which will be on the bottom of your screen.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #23951 10/27/12 11:02 PM
OP Offline

Hi:

Doing it Ryck's way I never got to the stickie database. See my answer to him. The database looks like a bunch of gobbledy gook when I do see it.

Rita

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Ryck has the correct instructions, and the Stickies database is what you want to recover. The individual sticky notes are NOT saved as individual files rather they are records in the stickiesdatabase. However when you restore the stickiesdatabase you will be offered the option to either replace the current file or save both copies. So you could save both, open the older version (the more recent version is labeled stickiesdatase (original) and access the errant record that way.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #23952 10/28/12 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
OK, I did what you said. I got this message: “Stickies.app” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by Mac OS X."

That's because you got to the Application itself, not the database created by it. I think you may have gone into the Applications folder, not the Applications Support folder.

I'm not a Stickies user but I did create some just now to see what would be in the Applications Support folder. Before creating a couple of Stickies, I checked the folder and there wasn't any database.

I then created a couple of Stickies. After that, there was a stickies database in the Applications Support folder. As a test I double-clicked on the Stickies database and it opened in TextEdit.

Try again, following the route artie provided:

Originally Posted By: artie505
The file you need is located in Users/Your Short Name/Library/[color:#CC0000]Application Support/Stickies, Rita. (At least it is in OS X 10.6.8.)

There should be one folder in there that contains a file for each Stickie you had at the time of the backup.

Last edited by ryck; 10/28/12 12:06 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #23954 10/28/12 01:15 AM
OP Offline

To be honest, I don't completely understand Artie's instructions. I have to go to the Library from a different route because of Mt. Lion. Also, I didn't see an application support folder at all. I think I'll just let it lie. Thanks for trying to help. I'm becoming way too confused.

Rita

Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally Posted By: plantsower

That's because you got to the Application itself, not the database created by it. I think you may have gone into the Applications folder, not the Applications Support folder.

I'm not a Stickies user but I did create some just now to see what would be in the Applications Support folder. Before creating a couple of Stickies, I checked the folder and there wasn't any database.

I then created a couple of Stickies. After that, there was a stickies database in the Applications Support folder. As a test I double-clicked on the Stickies database and it opened in TextEdit.

Try again, following the route artie provided:

Originally Posted By: artie505
The file you need is located in Users/Your Short Name/Library/[color:#CC0000]Application Support/Stickies, Rita. (At least it is in OS X 10.6.8.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #23955 10/28/12 01:23 AM
OP Offline

I was able to find an application support file by going into the Finder, clicking on Go in the menu while using the Option key. That led me to the Library which contained the application support folder, but there were no stickies in it.

Rita

Last edited by plantsower; 10/28/12 01:25 AM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #23956 10/28/12 01:45 AM
OP Offline

I did it. It was just a round about way and I can't even tell you what I did. But I found the stickiedatabase (difficult to read) but found the info I needed. I clicked restore but it didn't restore or even ask if I wanted to replace the old one. Oh well.

I hope i never have to find anything else in the Time Machine as I just don't get it.

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #23971 10/29/12 08:34 PM

Actually Rita, you may glad down the road that you do have Time Machine. It really can be a lifesaver/timesaver and is not that difficult to use.

Your particular retrieval from Time Machine was slightly more complicated because you were looking for a single sticky note, which does not exist; rather, as the help above tells you, the stickies are kept as a collection in a database and the location of that collection was not particularly obvious.

In the future if there is one "normal item" (whatever that may mean :/) ) that you want to retrieve you just go to the place/folder in your computer setup where that item is currently found (or should have been until you deleted it), enter time machine, and go back in time to when the item is present or in the version you want, and Restore it. It really is a smooth process.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #23972 10/29/12 08:53 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Ira. I really did want to give up. Hopefully it will be as easy as you say when the time comes. smile

Rita

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Actually Rita, you may glad down the road that you do have Time Machine. It really can be a lifesaver/timesaver and is not that difficult to use.

Your particular retrieval from Time Machine was slightly more complicated because you were looking for a single sticky note, which does not exist; rather, as the help above tells you, the stickies are kept as a collection in a database and the location of that collection was not particularly obvious.

In the future if there is one "normal item" (whatever that may mean :/) ) that you want to retrieve you just go to the place/folder in your computer setup where that item is currently found (or should have been until you deleted it), enter time machine, and go back in time to when the item is present or in the version you want, and Restore it. It really is a smooth process.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard