FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Keeping computer running
alternaut #23463 09/21/12 08:09 PM
OP Offline

Thanks. I'll do that with the iBook. I've already recalibrated the Macbook Pro even though it looks like I don't have to because the battery is built in and has different rules according to the Apple site.

Thanks.

Rita

Originally Posted By: alternaut
- I would use the basic procedure for the newer portables (MacBook/Pro), which is to:

1: charge to full capacity.
2: use battery in fully charged state for 2 hours (e.g., by running a WiFi access point monitor scan).
3: disconnect from power adapter and continue use until Mac shuts itself off.
4: let Mac sit in that condition for 5 hours (no more than 10 hours).
5: recharge again (uninterrupted!) to full capacity.

- She should follow Apple's (6 mos or longer) storage recommendation, and start with a 50% charge. After that, I'd check/recalibrate at least once annually*.

*) The 50% storage charge Apple recommends is for prolonged periods of storage (> 6 mos), but that duration depends on the condition of the battery at the start of storage. Therefore I would first check the charge level after 3 months and recharge to 50% if it's less than, say, 30%. The lower the residual charge, the less likely it is to last for a longer period of time.

If the remaining charge is still close to 50%, I'd check it again after another 6 months. If that turns out OK, I'd check the battery at least once a year, assuming the charge-loss allows for that. When storing a portable Mac for prolonged periods of time, it's good to remember that Apple recommends to 'complete a charge cycle at least once a month' for optimal performance and life. That means that storage, however well done, will detract from that optimum.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

alternaut #23471 09/22/12 08:06 AM

> I find it helpful to run a WiFi utility that monitors WiFi access points in the vicinity. This literally sucks the juice out of your battery in a hurry, ....

Keep forgetting to post... I use full-screen iTunes visualizer, the most processor intensive process I can think of, to run my battery down quickly, but it comes with the downside of generating a lot of heat, which I'd like to avoid if I can, so I'd appreciate your suggesting which utility may be my best alternative.

Thanks. smile

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #23472 09/22/12 09:20 AM

I just ran across these two docs:

OS X Lion: Calibrate the battery in a portable computer clarifies the calibration procedure for user-replaceable batteries, and How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University presents some useful statistics and suggestions.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #23476 09/22/12 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
... I'd appreciate your suggesting which utility may be my best alternative.

WiFi is quite energy-intensive, and easily among the strongest battery-draining activities, particularly if one can maximize the scan-frequency. Although I really can't say which is the best in this category, I often use the freeware Airgrab WiFi Radar (version 1.4, regardless of other claims; 'registration' is useless) on a PPC iMac running Leopard, but any such utility would do. I don't know if WiFi monitoring generates less heat than your iTunes visualizer (doubtful with high energy consumption), but that's easy to find out.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #23479 09/22/12 08:11 PM
OP Offline

As long as it's running cool now, I won't need it. But it's good info to have should it happen again with an app I don't want to get rid of. Thanks.

Rita

... I'd appreciate your suggesting which utility may be my best alternative.

WiFi is quite energy-intensive, and easily among the strongest battery-draining activities, particularly if one can maximize the scan-frequency. Although I really can't say which is the best in this category, I often use the freeware Airgrab WiFi Radar (version 1.4, regardless of other claims; 'registration' is useless) on a PPC iMac running Leopard, but any such utility would do. I don't know if WiFi monitoring generates less heat than your iTunes visualizer (doubtful with high energy consumption), but that's easy to find out.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

alternaut #23492 09/23/12 07:01 AM

Thanks, but this experiment had a really inauspicious beginning...your link took me to v 1.2, not 1.4, and the app wouldn't even launch in OS X 10.6.8.

Code:
9/23/12 3:39:49 AM	[0x0-0x42d42d].com.AirGrab.AirGrab WiFi Radar[29224]	WirelessAttach: IOServiceOpen error: e00002c7
9/23/12 3:39:49 AM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[188]	([0x0-0x42d42d].com.AirGrab.AirGrab WiFi Radar[29224]) Exited with exit code: 255

I'll check out other options.

artie505 #23499 09/23/12 03:21 PM

Thanks, but this experiment had a really inauspicious beginning...your link took me to v 1.2, not 1.4, and the app wouldn't even launch in OS X 10.6.8.

AWR has some quirks, 'variable' versioning being one of them, but it works under Leopard (Airport must be ON). I have no idea about subsequent OS versions. There are alternatives for those, including freeware options, but I haven't tried them.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #23500 09/23/12 06:33 PM

I've d/l'ed AirRadar. which does work on my deuced Mac(hina), and will report back.

artie505 #23909 10/24/12 10:40 AM

I've d/l'ed AirRadar, which does work on my deuced Mac(hina), and will report back.

If anybody is interested:

iTunes Visualizer runs my battery down 50% in 75 minutes.

The aforementioned AirRadar is a no-go, because I'm not about to purchase a $20 app for the sole purpose of running my battery down, but I found KisMAC (freeware), which runs my battery down 50% in 85 minutes.

Neither Visualizer nor KisMAC causes much additional fan noise, i.e. heat.

So, I guess the answer is if you want to sit back and relax and enjoy watching your battery run down you use Visualizer, but if you want to work you use KisMAC.

artie505 #23910 10/24/12 03:13 PM

Thanks for the update! Of course, now I wonder how much faster a combination of visualizer and WiFi monitor would drain the battery... smirk tongue

alternaut moderator
alternaut #23912 10/24/12 04:01 PM

Thanks for the update! Of course, now I wonder how much faster a combination of visualizer and WiFi monitor would drain the battery... smirk tongue

Your turn to experiment. grin

artie505 #23919 10/24/12 06:48 PM

I don't mind experimenting, but in order to achieve proper accuracy and comparability it seems to me that this would require you to ship me your deuced Mac(hina) for testing... shocked smirk tongue

alternaut moderator
alternaut #23921 10/24/12 07:16 PM

I thought of that ( tongue ), but it's on hold until the guy whose MacUpdate post that suggested that he was able to configure a Mac that shipped with Mt. Lion to run Snow Leopard gets back to me no/yes --> details ([prayer][amen])....or I just may do it myself.

On the other hand, you could rerun the entire experiment on your Mac. shocked

Edit: Together, we could both answer the question at hand and get an insight into battery evolution.

Last edited by artie505; 10/24/12 07:18 PM.

artie505 #24006 11/01/12 04:58 AM

70 minutes with both running...seems odd that it wasn't less, but more interesting is that virtually no extra heat was generated.

Your turn tongue

Edit: Nope...no response. Damn!

Last edited by artie505; 11/01/12 04:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard