for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iPhone Advice
#23869 10/21/12 10:49 AM
OP Offline

I just ordered an iPhone, my first iDevice.

Indeed I know nada re such critters. Thus, I hope the iWizzards here 'bouts will share their tips & counsel regarding day to day use/operation as well as a few suggestions & recommendations about their favorite iApps.

TIA

Based on the topic, this query may be moved to the iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV forum.

Last edited by alternaut; 10/21/12 02:48 PM. Reason: mod comment

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: iPhone Advice
Pendragon #23872 10/21/12 04:50 PM

Enjoy! I hardly think of mine as a phone! laugh

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
Pendragon #23874 10/21/12 07:13 PM

Well, I figure that going over the User Guide (you could put a copy on your phone too) wouldn't hurt, perhaps more to get an idea about options than for figuring how to do things (although that might help too). In this context you might also want to have a look at the relevant MacWorld Superguide(s), which I found helpful for other topics.

As to apps, that depends to a large extent on your interests. I could suggest freebies I like that might suit you if you give us an idea to work with.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #23875 10/21/12 08:23 PM
OP Offline

My interests are mainly with productivity apps, such as an Office or the iLife suite and being able to print most anywhere.

I think I'll want Dropbox, DataWiz, Skype, Adobe Reader (or such), Google Search, and a weather app, but so far, I'm just musing.

I'm not a game player and am unlikely to load many songs or pictures.

If I can easily read the iPhone 5's display, then books and courses via iTines U will be of interest.

Also on the agenda, is attending the free orientation/training course offered at the Apple store. The new David Pogue Missing Manual on the iPhone 5/iOS6 awaits. Amazon indicates a 5 Nov publication date. This is OK, as that is the time my phone will arrive.

All suggestions are truly welcome (and appreciated).

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #23877 10/21/12 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
My interests are mainly with productivity apps, such as an Office or the iLife suite and being able to print most anywhere.

Pages, Keynote, and Numbers are available and have the ability to share with the corresponding products on your desktop via iCloud and there are a number of printing options such as Print n Share for remote printing. If you are on the same WiFi network as your printer, Brother, Epson, HP, etc. all have dedicated apps for printing from your iPhone and scanning to your iPhone.

I think I'll want Dropbox, DataWiz, Skype, Adobe Reader (or such), Google Search, and a weather app, but so far, I'm just musing.

All of those are available including Adobe Reader or PDF Reader or Perfect Reader, or any one of several other PDF readers. The hardest part is choosing which one. I find the user ratings helpful but in the end it boils down to personal preference. There are so many weather apps it is hard to choose. I have downloaded and deleted several. One criteria I have is an app that is not only available for my iPhone, but also for the iPad, and iMac. For the moment at least I am using one called Swackett on the iPhone and iMac and Peepometer 1000 on the iPad. Same app just a slightly different UI on the iPad. confused

I'm not a game player and am unlikely to load many songs or pictures.

Don't be too hasty writing off games. I am not much of a game player either, but some of the games are highly addictive and on a long airline flight or waiting in a doctors office they can keep you from going crazy. As for photos, unless you are at least a semi-pro photographer the camera on the iPhone is absolutely amazing and unlike a dedicated camera, it is almost always with you. I find myself using mine far more often than I ever thought I would. I do some woodturning and after spending a few hundred dollars on a setup for photographing my work to post on the web, I have found my iPhone or iPad and a piece of colored paper for the background has relegated the dedicated setup to the back of the closet.

If I can easily read the iPhone 5's display, then books and courses via iTines U will be of interest.

It works for me, even with my 73 year old eyes. I also find audio books on the iPhone are great boon when driving long distances, working out on the treadmill, etc.

Also on the agenda, is attending the free orientation/training course offered at the Apple store. The new David Pogue Missing Manual on the iPhone 5/iOS6 awaits. Amazon indicates a 5 Nov publication date. This is OK, as that is the time my phone will arrive.

After ten minutes with the first iPhone, I could have taught the orientation at the Apple Store, but for my techno-phobic sister-in-law it was a serious boost to her confidence. Once you get beyond the very basic fundamentals the rest is very intuitive.

All suggestions are truly welcome (and appreciated).

A good place to start is in the iTunes Store under Apps there is a section labeled Basic Essentials or something like that with a decent list of the basic apps you will probably want. No matter which apps you choose, not all of them will be keepers, but at least in most cases they are cheap enough to discard without losing any sleep.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #23885 10/22/12 05:33 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for the great answer, JMB.

While I don’t think of myself as a gamer, I do play Chess most every day. So in retrospect, indeed I’ll be adding that.

Talking books have always been a favorite of mine, so again my thanks for calling that to mind.

BTW, are maintenance utilities and system enhancements such as those found in DiskWarrior, TTP, MacPilot, TinkerTool System, and the like suggested?

Harv

Pendragon #23888 10/22/12 11:57 PM

BTW, are maintenance utilities and system enhancements such as those found in DiskWarrior, TTP, MacPilot, TinkerTool System, and the like suggested?

None available and none required. There is no file system per se and no Finder such as you have with OS X. Files are generally either stored as an open entity within an app or in iCloud or a similar internet storage facility. Many apps have their own online data storage rather than using iCloud. Partly because it is easier for the developers but mostly because they can charge you for the online disk space. If things go inexplicably wrong the first thing to do is power down (hold the button at the top down until the shut down slider appears and then slide it from left to right. Wait a few seconds then press the button down until an Apple logo appears on the screen.

If that fails, connect your iPhone to your Mac using the USB cable, launch iTunes, select the iPhone on the list of devices and click the button in iTunes to restore to factory defaults. This can take a while to backup all your apps and data, reset everything to the default, and finally restore all your apps, data, tunes, pictures, books, etc. If that still doesn't work, I hope you spent the extra $99 to get Applecare. (I have had more then one iPhone replaced under Applecare.)

That reminds me of a very useful app called Drop Box. I use it to store financial and database files so they can be accessed from apps on my iMac as well as my iPhone or iPad and it keeps everything synched as they are sharing the same data file. It works with apps like MoneyDance, Bento, and Yojimbo. Bare Bones Software is working on an iCloud link for Yojimbo, but in the meantime Drop Box is a viable work around.

I'm jealous. By the time my contract allowed me to upgrade my iPhone the quoted delivery time was approaching Thanksgiving, so you will probably have yours weeks before I get my hands on the iPhone 5. mad

Careful though, the i devices can be habit forming. My faithful 27" iMac was recalled for a hard drive replacement and I have been forced to rely on my trusty iPad to work. Who needs a laptop? My iPad is smaller, lighter, maybe faster, and definitely easier to maintain than my MacBook Air, but I do miss the 27" screen.

One thing I did not expect was using my iPhone as a GPS Navigation aid. After using the iPhone one time, I have my Garmin away. There are several GPS navigation apps, but the one I have settled on is GPS Drive. Relatively inexpensive, accurate, and highly useful. However, with the advent of iOS 6 it may well be supplanted by Apple's builtin Maps app. I have not encountered any of the infamous errors that have been reported, the display is stunning, and the voice guidance works well -- all of this built in to iOS 6.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #23897 10/23/12 09:26 PM
OP Offline

Joe,

How nice it is to learn that system maintenance is essentially automatic and that routine maintenance is not required. But how about a backup scheme, any need for that? Or will the cloud obviate that need too?

I am a long-time user of DropBox, so that’s already on my list.

And yes, I did get the iPhone Apple Care. Old eyes, old hands, stuff happens…

Speaking of which, are there cases you recommend? At present, I’m considering the LifeProof due for release later this month. The price has not yet been published, but I suspect it will be close to the cost of iPhone 4 cases-- $80.00 plus tax. Yikes! I don’t care about style; just good front & back protection, slim, and with sides of "grippery" with material.

Thanks again-

Harv

Pendragon #23898 10/23/12 09:41 PM

You can back up to...
  1. iCloud but you will probably have to purchase additional disk space
  2. iTunes on your computer either...
    1. Via WiFi
    2. or USB
In my case the backup to iTunes is then backed up in Time Machine. You can set the backup to run manually on command or automatically when connected. So backup can be pretty much transparent. The i Devices tale a lot less hand holding then even Mountain Lion.

— Albert Einstein
Pendragon #23911 10/24/12 03:31 PM

I accidentally ran over my iPhone 4 before I got a case, and it came through without a scratch. I fumble-fingered my iPhone 4S and it landed on a corner and the glass screen cracked all the way across and had to be replaced. The moral of this scenario being the corners are the most vulnerable part of the iPhone and need the most protection.

I don't have an iPhone 5 yet, but I bought the Otterbox Defender case so I would be ready when it gets here. It is out, has an outstanding reputation, and appears to provide the most complete protection, even a clear hard cover over the screen. It is neither the thinnest and lightest nor the bulkiest and heaviest - but its multilayer protection is impressive.

If you are looking for a minimalist approach Zagg has a tough plastic Shield that covers the screen and back and is sufficiently small that it would allow a third party case that covers the rim to be used as well. The Zagg Shield is the only cover I have seen that can be used with a dock. On my iPhone 4S I use a Mickey Mouse imprinted case I got at Walt Disney World and it has served me well so far, but a corner broke off of my wife's.

NOTE: Many, perhaps most, of the cases I have looked at are relatively easy to put on but a bear to take off. Certainly you won't be taking the case off often, if at all. But ease of installation and removal is something for you to think about when making your choice.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #24022 11/03/12 09:39 AM
OP Offline

Joe,

My new iPhone arrived and I'm now up & running, though there remains much to learn. But as you said (sorta), once you've learned the protocols, the execution is fairly straightforward.

My search for a case is now between the LifeProof and the OtterBox Defender. Both have a belt clip accessory and that is quite important to me. Alas, my email to LifeProof re their prices remains unanswered.

Just curious…Can I download iPhone apps to my iMac and then install them from there? If so, any tips in that regard?

Harv

Pendragon #24024 11/03/12 01:26 PM

Yes you can purchase and download apps in iTunes and then when you synch the iTunes with your iPhone, either by WiFi or USB the apps will be transferred to the iPhone. During this process a backup is made of iPhone including all the installed apps, photos, tunes, iTunes University courses, etc. Then if a disaster should occur or your iPhone starts acting wonky and you need to reset it back to factory specs, you can restore from the backup. Apps can be updated either directly on the iPhone or through iTunes on your Mac. Be aware that for one reason or another iPhone apps update often and 99% of the updates are free, but you do need to keep your iPhone apps up to date.

Among the first apps you download should be the Apple Store app as well as the App Store app. YOu can use the Apple Store app to purchase Apple hardware, make appointments at the Genius Desk, Schedule a one on one, etc. The App Store app is used to purchase and download iPhone apps. Apps purchased on the iPhone can be transferred to your iTunes the next time you synch.

Backing up to the iCloud is convenient, but backing up and restoring to iTunes on your Mac by WiFi or USB is faster. Truth be told, I do both.

By-the-way, my iPhone shipped from Hangzhou today and should be in my hands by Thursday. I had hoped to have it before last week's visit with Mickey and Minnie in Florida because I wanted to try out the panorama photography feature on the new additions to Fantasy Land, but…

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #24041 11/03/12 09:14 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Backing up to the iCloud is convenient, but backing up and restoring to iTunes on your Mac by WiFi or USB is faster. Truth be told, I do both.

Joe, How do you backup to iTunes. I've got the BU to iCloud ok (iThink), but remain confused on the BU to iTunes. confused

BTW, who ever said "owning an iPhone will change your life", well I now understand how that tidbit came to pass…

Harv

Pendragon #24043 11/04/12 12:36 AM

Plug the iPhone into your iMac using a USB cable. If iTunes doesn't launch automatically you will have to launch it manually. The iPhone should appear in the left hand column under the heading of "Devices". Select the iPhone and in the right column information about the iPhone should appear. At the bottom of the "General" page you will see a button labeled "Synch". Click that button and the first if five synch steps is to back the iPhone contents up to the iMac. The data is stored in the iTunes library.

— Albert Einstein
Pendragon #24045 11/04/12 10:42 AM
OP Offline

Great Joe, I'll give it a go.

BTW, I downloaded the iPhone User Guide. I find it quite helpful, especially as it is searchable. Thanks for the tip.

Harv

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard