FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
10.5 is unsafe?
#23823 10/18/12 07:38 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

My desktop is on 10.6, but my laptop, which is not tethered to any important files or hardrives is on 10.5. It's a 2nd station in the living room. Still Firefox announces today that 10.5 is very dangerous to use because Apple does not support it. Has anyone ever heard this before? that a previous operating system a few years old is perilous to use? Opinions? thanks.

Re: 10.5 is unsafe?
kevs #23824 10/18/12 08:19 PM

Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is indeed no longer officially supported*, and as such retains all security risks that existed since the last security update (2011 I believe), plus all that have been developed since. The actual degree of risk you run depends on a number of variables, like the things you do on your computer, and particularly those that interact with the internet. Another part of the equation is the software you use. Vulnerabilities don't just occur in System software, but in all software, including the apps you use. Most of them will be updated regularly, and these updates frequently address security issues. Software that is no longer being updated runs a higher risk of being exploitable by malfeasants, who'll have had more time to subvert it. Examples include Flash and Java. Most if not all such subversions occur during or after internet access.

Apple's position is to upgrade to newer OS versions, or, if that's not possible as in the case of PPC Macs, upgrade the Mac itself so it can run a more recent OS version and other up-to-date software.

*) This also explains why Leopard threads are found in this particular forum, with other unsupported OS versions. All supported OS versions are dealt with in a separate forum.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #23827 10/19/12 12:49 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

A, that's great info. thanks. So you would upgrade to new OS, or sell the laptop and get a new one? It just started making a louder noise than before. you know that hard drive hum I guess. It's about 4 years old.

kevs #23830 10/19/12 01:26 AM

It sounds like you can update the OS to Snow Leopard or Lion, and an iffy HD (if that's what that noise means) is cheap and easy to replace. In my case I can still use a G5 iMac on Leopard without exposing myself to the majority of problems out there. But it's slated to be replaced sooner rather than later, if only because it's getting long in the tooth. For business requiring up to date security I use a more recent MacBook and OS version with updated software.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #23831 10/19/12 02:38 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

ok A, thanks again.

kevs #23848 10/19/12 08:24 PM

You also need to be aware that OS X 10.6.x, which is the latest OS version your are using, is well on its way to obsolescence and will soon drop off of the list of supported OS versions if it hasn't already. In fact it is unlikely there will be any more updates, security or otherwise, to the OS itself. The recent Java update did not change the OS. It only modified the Java Virtual Machine which is essentially a stand alone application. Although it was updated through Software Update (App Store on Lion and Mountain Lion) the update itself is from Oracle and made available through Apple as a convenience to users.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #23851 10/19/12 08:55 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe. I've never even thought or known of this issue till the Firefox warning yesterday. I thought you could be on any OS as long as you want (and they are all supported)

Anyway, leaving towards selling the laptop and getting a new Mac Air.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard