FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Canon printer software update
#23608 10/02/12 10:08 AM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a Canon MP610 multifunction printer USB cabled to an iMac running 10.8.2. Every time I turn the printer on, a dialog is displayed on the iMac saying 'Would you like to download and install software for "Canon MP610 series"? Not Now or Install'

Interesting. No driver updates available in the App Store as I would now expect. Anyway, what with the recent update to Mountain Lion, it all seems reasonable and I click Install, perhaps foolishly, and a search for updates commences. A package appears to start downloading with a progress bar progressing. This soon stops and the message :

"The software is currently unavailable. You can check for software later by choosing Software Update from the Apple menu"

is displayed. Huh? I can dismiss all the dialogs and the printer continues to operate normally. I suppose I can leave the printer turned on but it's a nuisance and it's making me nervous! Can anyone tell me what's (not) going on?

Andy

Re: Canon printer software update
andycap #23609 10/02/12 10:26 AM

Canon Printer Drivers v2.9 for OS X is the latest d/l I can find on Apple's Web site. (Your printer is listed as included in OS X: Printer and scanner software available for download.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #23629 10/02/12 09:55 PM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Artie. I am concerned where the invitation dialog to "install and download software…" is coming from. Logically it's from the printer itself because it's only displayed when I switch it on.

The fact that Printer Drivers v2.9 (posted in 28/6/12) is available on the Apple website of course suggests that there is an earlier version installed on my system. There seem to references to printers in all 3 libraries, plus the stuff in Canon Utilities in the Applications folder, none of which have version numbers anything like 2.9 or earlier (e.g. 7.0, 7.27.3, 6.8.0.6), and all have different creation or modification dates. The printer and scanner software listing on the Apple site indicates the version available is 10.57.2.0.

The Canon Australia website itself is almost inpenetrable and, when I finally negotiate Spaghetti Junction, the version numbers are different again! I was overjoyed when Apple took over printer driver updates but now I am thoroughly confused and a bit irritated that something so apparently simple as versioning seems to be so messy.

I have downloaded v2.9 but haven't run it yet as I would prefer to know beforehand what version I currently have installed. Are you able to suggest where or in what Library I might be able to identify this?

andycap #23633 10/03/12 01:25 AM

> I have downloaded v2.9 but haven't run it yet as I would prefer to know beforehand what version I currently have installed. Are you able to suggest where or in what Library I might be able to identify this?

Sorry, andy, but I can't begin to answer that one.

I will, however, ask whether you've checked Software Update to see whether it's got anything to contribute?

Afterthought... Is there anything about version numbers to be learned from your installation media? (I've looked at Canon USA's Web site, and it's useless...gives new meaning to down-under.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #23636 10/03/12 07:23 AM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Yep, I checked Software Update. Nothing. By installation media, I guess you mean the version 2.9 package contents. If so Pacifist reveals nothing.

I've just roped Google into the mix but all I can find is a vaguely similar issue whose resolution was apparently to reset the printing system and add the printer again. I'm a bit reluctant to do this. I might wait a little to see if Apple come up with a more normal Software Update via the App Store…

The Canon website is not the only one around which is not particularly focused on a customer seeking simple unambiguous information. Australia's main telco - Telstra - is another where the idiot charged with construction of the site has clearly gone boldly forth on the Starship Enterprise to seek page design advice from a non-human in another universe.

Thanks for your attention Artie.

andycap #23637 10/03/12 07:43 AM

> By installation media, I guess you mean the version 2.9 package contents.

Nope, I meant the media that came with your printer when you bought it; can you determine from it which version driver you may have installed? (Actually, I'm not at all certain that the info will be the least bit useful.)

It's curious that one source says you need an update and another doesn't...or maybe not so curious considering the former source.

Chances are that you've got a pref pane in which you can opt out of automatic update notifications...kick the annoying issue into a closet until it becomes a functionality issue (hopefully never).

On the other hand, if you're running Little Snitch, you should be able to determine which rule is allowing the update inquiries to connect and to disable it.

andycap #23638 10/03/12 08:36 AM

I just found this Canon page.

Click on Drivers & Software, select your OS and version, and see if you learn anything useful.

Fingers crossed.

artie505 #23639 10/03/12 11:18 AM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Wow what a helpful page! I take back a little of my criticism of Canon customer service. I've downloaded all the potentially useful bits and I'll investigate them further in the morning. I'm quite excited about one of these bits which is called My Image Garden. Gosh, I can almost smell the roses already...

Anyway many thanks for your assistance.

andycap #23640 10/03/12 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: andycap
I would prefer to know beforehand what version I currently have installed.

The quickest way to do this is with System Profiler (Apple menu>About This Mac>More info...*). In Profiler, select Hardware>Printers* in the left hand column, followed by the printer in the top right panel to find various details including driver version in the bottom right panel.

*) This is the path in Leopard, which may differ from the one in Mountain Lion.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #23654 10/04/12 09:33 PM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

System Profiler - neat! The Mountain Lion path is much the same and reveals that the version is 10.57.2.0. Not that that tells me much about the individual versions of the various elements but at least I now have some idea.

But now, what do you know, the App Store tells me this morning that Canon Printer Software Update 2.10 is available. Aaarrgghh, I knew I should have waited a bit!

They tell me patience is a virtue. I don't have time...

This leads to another question which possibly should be another thread, but here goes. I have 2 (ether)networked iMacs and the shared printer is USBcabled to mine. SWMBO's is running Snow Leopard and mine Mountain Lion. Do I need to install the new driver(s) on both iMacs?

andycap #23659 10/04/12 11:05 PM

I have 2 (ether)networked iMacs and the shared printer is USBcabled to mine. SWMBO's is running Snow Leopard and mine Mountain Lion. Do I need to install the new driver(s) on both iMacs?

You need to install drivers on every computer you will be printing from, for every printer you will be printing to.

Last edited by alternaut; 10/04/12 11:29 PM. Reason: added clarification

alternaut moderator
andycap #23667 10/05/12 03:09 PM

also worth noting that with a lot of installable printer drivers, the drivers won't install without the printer physically being connected. so to network print, you have to plug in the printer, install the drivers, then delete and re-add the printer on the network.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #23679 10/06/12 04:54 AM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Alternaut and Virtual1. Installing the Apple Canon software update posted earlier this week in the App Store has actually solved the issue of the repeated unactionable update requests and all is operating OK. A more rigorous check of other forums reveals that this curious behaviour has been also been occurring for other printer brands as well.

I appreciate and note your advice about installing the driver on both iMacs, physically connecting the printer to both and deleting/re-adding the printer etc. However, because both SWMBO and myself can still print normally after the Apple update without having performed any of these routines, I haven't followed it yet. I'll keep it in reserve!

Cheers, Andy

andycap #23782 10/16/12 04:56 AM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

I appreciate and note your advice about installing the driver on both iMacs, physically connecting the printer to both and deleting/re-adding the printer etc. However, because both SWMBO and myself can still print normally after the Apple update without having performed any of these routines, I haven't followed it yet. I'll keep it in reserve!

Looks like I'm gonna have to make use of this reserve because the wretched software update message has started to reappear! I had 10 day's grace after installing the Apple sourced update but now I'm back to square one. Or should it be square root.

When SWMBO's university assignment is finished (next week), I'll delete and re-add the printer on both iMacs. Next week because the house will reverberate with curses and abuse if this action somehow stuffs up printing completely.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard