for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Manually uninstalling Photoshop?
#23585 09/30/12 04:49 PM
OP Offline

Hope this isn't a duplicate post, because I somehow managed to disappear my first try!

Photoshop CS4 started crashing erratically on my 15" MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.8) and freezing everything but my cursor, including forced quits. Long story short, I can only access my laptop in target disk mode now. I would like to avoid a clean system install if I can, and want to try manually uninstalling PShop first.

The uninstaller is not an option, so I'm hoping someone call tell me what else I need to delete in addition to the PShop & Bridge apps, themselves, to be sure I've eradicated all the bits & pieces. Adobe makes it almost impossible find any info about working with superseded versions in its online support pages, of course.

Is there any way to "deactivate" a copy of Photoshop, once it's gone? Or is that not necessary if I reinstall it on the same computer? Or is there registration data I could copy and then put back in place ex post facto?

If corrupted fonts in PShop caused the mayhem, would that create a system wide font problem which could persist after the PShop removal? Is there any reliable font-corruption-software-for-dummies which can ferret out and correct such problems? I'm afraid to mess around with fonts myself, and, alas, I'm terminally Terminalophobic.

I would welcome any and all suggestions!

Re: Manually uninstalling Photoshop?
JM Hanes #23586 09/30/12 05:34 PM

Quite some time ago I got CleanApp for removing applications and have found it to be first rate. It provides a list of items associated with the application you're removing and cautions if you're selecting something not wise to remove.

If you drag an application to the trash, CleanApp automatically opens and lets you know what else is connected to the application you're trashing.

The company has been good about upgrades. You can take a peek here.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
JM Hanes #23587 09/30/12 06:49 PM

You can find the official Adobe uninstall instructions here. There is a de-registration process you must go through or you will not be able to reinstall. I like Clean App too but Adobe products are problematic because of their anti-piracy protections.

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/30/12 06:51 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #23596 10/01/12 01:27 AM
OP Offline

Unfortunately, the official instructions won't do the trick. I can't open the Adobe uninstaller or do the de-registration, because I can only access my MacBook from my desktop computer as a peripheral in target disk mode. I tried opening up the CS4 installer CD on my desktop, but it doesn't recognize the MacBook as a destination disk or provide an uninstall option. As far as it's concerned PShop CS4 doesn't exist on my system. (I'm running CS5 on my desk top).

Would CleanApp work on a non-startup disk? Apparently Snow Leopard doesn't offer an archive and install option, so I have no clue what to do about the de-registration thing. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and take it to my local Apple dealer's repair shop & hope they've got an opening and a fix soon!

Many thanks to both of you for responding.

JM Hanes #23599 10/01/12 02:22 AM
OP Offline

The good news is that the representative I got in the Adobe live chat window was able de-registrater my MacBook! The bad news is that you can forget getting any help on tech problems -- like a manual uninstall -- that way. Per chatty Cathy: "For this you need to contact Adobe support at 1800-833-6687. Monday–Friday, 5am–7pm PST. as our technical agents are offline."

So, barring the miraculous appearance of a CS4 support page at Adobe, I'll give CleanApp a shot. I'm hoping to see if removing PShop might conceivably fix the startup issue, since disk utility says my hard drive is OK.

Should I post my question about font corruption separately in a different forum?

JM Hanes #23600 10/01/12 08:54 AM

If CleanApp won't work for you, you can try EasyFind, which will search any mounted volume but will present a more difficult removal job.

Actually, I'll suggest an after-the-thought EF search even if CA does work, just to see what, if anything, it left behind.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
JM Hanes #23601 10/01/12 09:38 AM

Originally Posted By: JM Hanes
Apparently Snow Leopard doesn't offer an archive and install option
Actually, that's the default method. Read Instructions for the Archive and Install method (Mac OS X 10.6) and these Apple discussions .

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
JM Hanes #23602 10/01/12 05:44 PM

I suspect you have other problems. Freezing your computer isn't likely to be a Photoshop issue, and if your computer won't boot now, that's DEFINITELY not a Photoshop issue. Something else is wrong.

When you connected with target disk mode, did you run Disk Utility to repair the disk? The most plausible explanation for your symptoms is that you had disk directory corruption that's been eating away at your computer for a while now, and Photoshop made the problem worse. (Because it does lots of disk writes and creates and deletes huge virtual memory files, Photoshop is twenty shades of living hell on a disk that has a damaged directory. If your directory is corrupt and you use Photoshop a lot, the corruption will tend to get a lot worse, really fast.)

So while you may have started seeing the problem when you used Photoshop, I would say that it is most likely the actual SOURCE of the problem is somewhere else. I'd recommend scanning the disk with Disk Utility, and if that finds and fixes problems but you still can't boot, re-install OS X. You should be able to do this without losing data.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard