FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Email problems
#23164 08/20/12 11:38 PM
OP Offline

Hi:

The last couple of days when I email a certain friend, my signature shows up but not the body of the email. It usually happens only with replies and forwards. Also, starting today, when I send an email, they show up in red with a warning.

I have a call in to my ISP but I am wondering of SBC global is the culprit. That is my friend's ISP.

I don't think it's happening with anyone else but I haven't really emailed anyone else and then replied lately.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Email problems
plantsower #23171 08/21/12 01:08 AM

OK, we'll need some more information to start thinking about this.
- I take it that it's your friend who can't see the body of the emails you send her, and who gets the warnings, right? Exactly what error messages or warnings are we talking about?
- Next, which email program do you use, and which one does your friend use? Likewise, does she use a Mac or a Windows machine?
- Finally, you might want to check if emailing other people causes the problem to occur there too.

alternaut moderator
plantsower #23176 08/21/12 05:34 AM

Does your email signature contain any elements that are not plain text (pictures, colors and fonts, bold, italics, anything like that)?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
alternaut #23179 08/21/12 04:58 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: alternaut
OK, we'll need some more information to start thinking about this.
- I take it that it's your friend who can't see the body of the emails you send her, and who gets the warnings, right? Right. Exactly what error messages or warnings are we talking about? [/color][color:#FF0000]"Windows Mail thinks this message is suspicious and has blocked it.  Images and links have been blocked for your safety.  If you think this mail is not fraudulent, use the unblock button to access it."
- Next, which email program do you use, and which one does your friend use? I use Mail 6.0. I think she uses Outlook Express. I'm waiting on that info. Likewise, does she use a Mac or a Windows machine? Windows.
- Finally, you might want to check if emailing other people causes the problem to occur there too. I did that and it seems to be fine so far.

I'm getting the feeling it's all on her end. She admitted she's gotten the warning from Windows before from other emails from other people but the blank emails are new.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

tacit #23180 08/21/12 05:00 PM
OP Offline

She called it a signature, but it's not technically a signature. I just sign my initial "R" as I sign off. It's not plugged in as a signature. It's part of the email. That's why it's so weird. The email is blank but my "R" is there. confused

Rita

Originally Posted By: tacit
Does your email signature contain any elements that are not plain text (pictures, colors and fonts, bold, italics, anything like that)?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #23182 08/21/12 06:09 PM

You're probably right that the issue is on your friend's side. Either her ISP or her email program (or both) seem to filter incoming email. Some such filters may be bypassed by her adding your email address to her address book or equivalent.

Btw, is the filtered content (exclusively) text or image? Image filters may offer the option to load the filtered images, usually via a button or clickable text ['load images'] at the top of the email. It sounds like this is the case here.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #23183 08/21/12 06:13 PM
OP Offline

It's exclusively text. All but the "R" (how I sign my name) under the main text. That seems to be acceptable. smile I'll ask if I am in her address book. I was on her old computer. Maybe she needs to add it to this one. I'll see. She isn't getting any of my emails now. I mean they are all blank. I send her one directly from the Yahoo website a few minutes ago but I think that was blank, too.

Rita

You're probably right that the issue is on your friend's side. Either her ISP or her email program (or both) seem to filter incoming email. Some such filters may be bypassed by her adding your email address to her address book or equivalent.

Btw, is the filtered content (exclusively) text or image? Image filters may offer the option to load the filtered images, usually via a button or clickable text ['load images'] at the top of the email. It sounds like this is the case here.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #23184 08/21/12 07:03 PM
OP Offline

She had one of my addresses but not the other. I use both. So that is now in her address book. She uses Windows Mail. Not sure about Outlook and neither is she. I'm too many years away from my pc to understand that stuff anymore. smile

Rita

Originally Posted By: plantsower
It's exclusively text. All but the "R" (how I sign my name) under the main text. That seems to be acceptable. smile I'll ask if I am in her address book. I was on her old computer. Maybe she needs to add it to this one. I'll see. She isn't getting any of my emails now. I mean they are all blank. I send her one directly from the Yahoo website a few minutes ago but I think that was blank, too.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #23185 08/21/12 08:21 PM

It sure looks like your friend's ISP email setup (read: mail servers and filters) causes what she sees, perhaps in conjunction with her email program.

One last thing you could do on your end is to check the encoding you use for attachments to your outgoing email (the body text encoding itself is set automatically). For Windows recipients attachment encoding is best set to " Windows(MIME/Base64) ". In Mail you'll find that under the Edit>Attachments menu as 'Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments'. This will not likely fix your friend's current problem, but ensures that you've done all you can on your end.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #23190 08/22/12 01:57 PM
OP Offline

Hi:

You're right. It really looks like it's on her end. And, right again, changing the endcoding on the attachment part probably won't help. I haven't sent her an attachment recently. And, when I do, even if it's not on Windows friendly, she gets it. Oh well.

I've asked her to Google Windows Mail filters to see if there is something she can do on her end. Otherwise, it is what it is. Thanks for all your help.

Rita

It sure looks like your friend's ISP email setup (read: mail servers and filters) causes what she sees, perhaps in conjunction with her email program.

One last thing you could do on your end is to check the encoding you use for attachments to your outgoing email (the body text encoding itself is set automatically). For Windows recipients attachment encoding is best set to " Windows(MIME/Base64) ". In Mail you'll find that under the Edit>Attachments menu as 'Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments'. This will not likely fix your friend's current problem, but ensures that you've done all you can on your end.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard