FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Printer Offline
#23063 08/14/12 02:23 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a Canon ip5000 and have been using Apple's printer software for a long time (currently CanonPrinterDrivers 2.9).

A few weeks ago I started getting Printer Offline notices. It wasn't restricted to a single source (e.g. sometimes Word, sometimes Safari) and, after trying a number of things I ended up reinstalling the drivers.

That worked for a while but it happened again. The third time it happened I did a printer reset in which I had to re-select the printer. That also worked, however it went offline again yesterday....for no apparent reason.

I guess I can keep on with the fixes every time it happens but that'll become a giant pain. I'd really like to get at the "why" so I can do a permanent fix.

Any ideas?

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Printer Offline
ryck #23144 08/18/12 08:26 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

It appears the Offline repetitions may have been early warnings of impending printhead failure...just a guess, nothing scientific.

The printer is now issuing this dialogue box:

Error Number : 1403 Print head problem. Open the printer's cover, then open the Inner Cover, remove the print head and then re-install it. If this message appears again, the print head may be faulty. Replace the print head with the new one.

Removing and re-installing does not fix the problem. I also used the Print Utility to try to clean the head but it won't allow that to happen either.

Being an older printer my problem is that replacement printheads are not available. Since I really like this printer (and really hate throwing stuff away except as a last resort) I'd like to try to get this one working.

The only thought that comes to mind is a physical cleaning and, since I just get one shot at it, I don't want to mess it up. The head is easily accessible and removable.

Does physical cleaning sound like a reasonable idea and, if so, what's my best approach?

Last edited by ryck; 08/18/12 08:41 AM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #23148 08/18/12 02:45 PM

Quote:
...what's my best approach?
I applaud your reluctance to discard your old printer, but at today's prices for printers your best approach is a new printer. With a little shopping around, you can get a new printer that is faster, has more features including builtin WiFi compatibility for little more than the cost of a new set of ink cartridges for your old printer. No matter how you look at it repairs on printers in the same class as yours are not financially or mechanically practical.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #23150 08/18/12 04:45 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks joemike. I've been doing quite a bit of looking around and have found that I've been slowly, however reluctantly, coming to the same conclusion.

It has been an enlightening process, though. There are a few "show stoppers" for me with a printer. Needed to be inkjet, needed to have automatic duplex printing, and needed to have separate cartridges or each colour and, finally, the cartridges had to be refillable.

That sure got me down to a short list in a hurry, and I'll be getting another Canon.

It was also interesting how little capacity some manufacturer's cartridges have. One my black I'll drop from 22 mil to 18 and on my colours from 12 mil to 9. However, some other manufacturers are as little as 3. And some (Epson, Lexmark, Dell) don't have any way to refill. Canon and Brother seemed to be the most flexible.

Last edited by ryck; 08/18/12 04:48 PM.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #23151 08/18/12 05:52 PM

Yep, modern inkjet printers have tiny cartridges that are expensive and use all sorts of elaborate software to prevent refilling.

There's huge money in inkjet ink. I read an article recently that claimed that gallon for gallon, inkjet ink is the most expensive legally-obtainable liquid on the open market, with even cheap 'discount' inkjet cartridges coming in at more than $5,000 a gallon.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
ryck #23153 08/18/12 08:36 PM

Quote:
Canon and Brother seem to be the most fleible.
Those are the two brands I recommend to my family and friends. I would also add they generally seem to me to be the most Mac friendly.

FWIW I agree with Tacit's remarks. The manufacturers charge a pittance for thir printers so they can sell ink where they make their money

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #23158 08/19/12 03:33 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: tacit
....gallon for gallon, inkjet ink is the most expensive legally-obtainable liquid on the open market...

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
FWIW I agree with Tacit's remarks.

What ticks me off further is that, in addition to providing smaller and smaller cartridges for the same dollars, some printers are set up to consume that diminished amount of ink even faster. Some will have automatic head cleaning cycles, and a cleaning cycle uses a lot of ink.

I'm an average printer user, and in the 6 years I had my Canon ip5000, I never once cleaned the heads.

Last edited by ryck; 08/19/12 03:33 PM.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard