Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: MOUNTAIN LION
artie505 #22892 08/04/12 04:47 PM

So I see! Just not the cable. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: artie505
> I have an ethernet port (no cable), a thunderbolt port, (no cable) and two usb 3.0 capable ports along with an SDXC (?) card slot.

According to MacBook Pro 13-inch - Apple Store your MBP also has a FireWire 800 port.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #22893 08/04/12 04:50 PM

OK, thanks. I'll wait for that info so I don't screw things up. i need to know the partition numbers on the internal drive and the external drive I guess. Or do I? Oh well. I'll wait.

Thanks again.

Rita

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Hi Artie:

I guess I freaked too soon. The YouTube I watched talked about it being a brand new laptop do it didn't matter if it was erased. So, I thought it meant the internal hard drive even though they were formatting an external drive from PC to Mac compatible.

Anyway, I was going to backup Lion onto the external drive and then download Mt. Lion to the internal drive from Lion. Then backup Mt. Lion with TM and maybe SuperDuper. Does that make sense?

The drive I bought was Western Digital My Passport 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - WDBBEP0010BSL-NESN (Silver).

Rita

Here's the dope on your HD, Rita:

Originally Posted By: Amazon
Compatibility

Formatted NTFS for Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
Requires reformatting for Mac OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard, or Lion
Note: Compatibility may vary depending on user's hardware configuration and operating system.
(Emphasis added)

The "compatibility" caveat shouldn't affect you, but yes, you must reformat your WD drive, and no, you don't have to erase your internal HD to do it.

As for your backup plan, it sounds OK to me, but I'll kick your question upstairs to posters who are more knowledgeable on the subject, particularly as respects how many and what size partitions you'll need.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #22897 08/04/12 10:19 PM

Rita, many years ago I gave up partitioning hard drives because I found no matter what partitioning scheme I came up with it was almost inevitable I would find space I desperately needed on one partition (volume) was on the other volume. While Disk Utility, and some third party utilities can enlarge a partition it is a process fraught with the risk of losing everything and not one I would want to attempt, particularly where a Time Machine volume is involved. That said, since you are determined on your course of partitioning your external drive, I recommend using the minimum space necessary to contain your clone plus the inevitable growth in OS X, applications, data file plus the space needed for swap drives, and the myriad other invisible temporary files created and used by your applications. That leaves the maximum space possible available for your Time Machine backup.

You have talked about having two "images" one Lion and the other Mountain Lion. That is not as straightforward as it may seem and presents major complications with applications and more importantly, data because of backward compatibility issues from Mountain Lion that I don't think you want to take on so I am assuming a Mountain Lion clone only.

You have previously stated…
Originally Posted By: plantsowner
I use very little of my Hard Drive so it shouldn't be a problem. I have a 500 GB HD and a 1 TB external drive (when it comes). I am presently using 16 GB. I will probably download a utility now and then, but that will probably be it. I barely used any of my iBook G4 drive and it was only 60 GB.
With that in mind, I would recommend a partition scheme of:
  • Mountain Lion Clone volume — 50 GB
  • Time Machine Volume — 950 GB
These numbers will be slightly different because of space required for the GUID partition data but this should be close enough.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #22898 08/04/12 10:33 PM

1. So, can I make a clone of Lion and Mt. Lion onto my external drive (Super Duper) without partitioning it? Would that be better? I am just kind of finding my way through all of this. I have never had an external drive nor felt the need. Now for some reason I think I need one.

2. Can I put Mt. Lion on TM and just clone Lion without partitioning the drive external drive?

3. I thought that I should also clone Mt. Lion since it's not bootable form TM. Is that possible?

I want to make this as simple as possible. My needs are few.

4. If I find I have to partition the drive because TM and SD can't be "together" on the same drive, would 50/50 be good?

Help, I just want this to be over..... confused

Rita

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Rita, many years ago I gave up partitioning hard drives because I found no matter what partitioning scheme I came up with it was almost inevitable I would find space I desperately needed on one partition (volume) was on the other volume. While Disk Utility, and some third party utilities can enlarge a partition it is a process fraught with the risk of losing everything and not one I would want to attempt, particularly where a Time Machine volume is involved. That said, since you are determined on your course of partitioning your external drive, I recommend using the minimum space necessary to contain your clone plus the inevitable growth in OS X, applications, data file plus the space needed for swap drives, and the myriad other invisible temporary files created and used by your applications. That leaves the maximum space possible available for your Time Machine backup.

You have talked about having two "images" one Lion and the other Mountain Lion. That is not as straightforward as it may seem and presents major complications with applications and more importantly, data because of backward compatibility issues from Mountain Lion that I don't think you want to take on so I am assuming a Mountain Lion clone only.

You have previously stated…
Originally Posted By: plantsowner
I use very little of my Hard Drive so it shouldn't be a problem. I have a 500 GB HD and a 1 TB external drive (when it comes). I am presently using 16 GB. I will probably download a utility now and then, but that will probably be it. I barely used any of my iBook G4 drive and it was only 60 GB.
With that in mind, I would recommend a partition scheme of:
  • Mountain Lion Clone volume — 50 GB
  • Time Machine Volume — 950 GB
These numbers will be slightly different because of space required for the GUID partition data but this should be close enough.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #22899 08/05/12 03:09 AM

Rita

First, refer back to ryck's post and brew yourself up a bathtub full of your favorite time-killing beverage.

Now, let's re-examine your intent, which is, as I understand it, to d/l Mt. Lion within your time window (8-24 latest) and have it available as a potential upgrade from Lion if you should choose to upgrade. Correct?

If so, then you've got the next 18-20 days to immerse yourself in Lion, find out what you like and don't like about it, do some research to see if you find Mt. Lion to be a more desirable option, and still be within your d/l window.

If I've got that straight, start immersing yourself in both Lion and your bathtub, and I'll refer back to joemikeb's post after you've responded.

Welcome to the brave new world of "It just works!" tongue

Edit: And since it's free, it'll make sense for you to d/l Mt.Lion under any circumstances...just to have around, maybe even play with, if only for the heck of it.

Last edited by artie505; 08/05/12 03:32 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #22900 08/05/12 03:40 AM

Rita

First, refer back to ryck's post and brew yourself up a bathtub full of your favorite time-killing beverage.

He-he.

Now, let's re-examine your intent, which is, as I understand it, to d/l Mt. Lion within your time window (8-24 latest) and have it available as a potential upgrade from Lion if you should choose to upgrade. Correct?

Er, I was going to download Mountain Lion directly to my Mac after I had cloned Lion to my external drive. If I really hate Mt. Lion, then I want to be able to go back. I have an email into Canon because since I upgraded to Safari 6.0, I cannot preview my documents before I print. But that's another story.

If so, then you've got the next 18-20 days to immerse yourself in Lion, find out what you like and don't like about it, do some research to see if you find Mt. Lion to be a more desirable option, and still be within your d/l window.

If I've got that straight, start immersing yourself in both Lion and your bathtub, and I'll refer back to joemikeb's post after you've responded.

There are a couple of things I already don't like about Lion that I hope get fixed with Mt. Lion so...

Thank you for taking so much time to help me. I do plan to buy a book soon for Lion or Mt. Lion. Not sure if there is any other kind of book I need to answer these types of questions. Any suggestions? Rita

Welcome to the brave new world of "It just works!" tongue

Edit: And since it's free, it'll make sense for you to d/l Mt.Lion under any circumstances...just to have around, maybe even play with, if only for the heck of it.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #22901 08/05/12 04:02 AM

> Er, I was going to download Mountain Lion directly to my Mac after I had cloned Lion to my external drive. If I really hate Mt. Lion, then I want to be able to go back.

That's exactly what I thought...the expansion of my contraction, and it introduces a new wrinkle into the matter, so be patient.

In the meantime, it'll probably be worth your while to compile a list of your Lion likes/dislikes and post it in a new thread to see if there are Lion workarounds, Mt. Lion improvements, etc.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #22902 08/05/12 04:07 AM

OK, I'll try to be patient. I'll also list what I don't like in Lion. Until then.... No book suggestions?

Rita

> Er, I was going to download Mountain Lion directly to my Mac after I had cloned Lion to my external drive. If I really hate Mt. Lion, then I want to be able to go back.

That's exactly what I thought...the expansion of my contraction, and it introduces a new wrinkle into the matter, so be patient.

In the meantime, it'll probably be worth your while to compile a list of your Lion likes/dislikes and post it in a new thread to see if there are Lion workarounds, Mt. Lion improvements, etc.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #22903 08/05/12 04:31 AM

I guess the books that'll be at the top of most lists are Davis Pogue's "Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual" and "OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual," and even though I'm a big fan of Pogue's these days because of his "Just 'cause Apple did it don't make it great" position, I'm not in a position to offer up a substantive opinion about his or any other OS X books. (Under any circumstances, though, I wouldn't invest in any book before settling on which OS I was going to run.)

artie505 #22904 08/05/12 04:40 AM

Right. I have to decide. But I figure Lion and Mt. Lion may not be that different (except for the 200 changes. LOL). So, I will probably get the Mt. Lion Book. I'm kind of leaning that way, anyway. But, time will tell.

You take care.

Rita

I guess the books that'll be at the top of most lists are Davis Pogue's "Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual" and "OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual," and even though I'm a big fan of Pogue's these days because of his "Just 'cause Apple did it don't make it great" position, I'm not in a position to offer up a substantive opinion about his or any other OS X books. (Under any circumstances, though, I wouldn't invest in any book before settling on which OS I was going to run.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #22905 08/05/12 05:38 AM

This discussion of backup strategy has overlooked an important point, namely that Rita is considering upgrading to Mt. Lion with a view towards possibly reverting to Lion, and if she does decide to revert she'll need a Lion recovery partition (in lieu of an install disc), so how does she perpetuate hers?

And more important, will she even be able to restore Lion after having upgraded, or will the App Store have pegged her Mac pegged at Mt. Lion, costing her the ability to revert via that avenue?

artie505 #22906 08/05/12 10:36 AM

This discussion of backup strategy has overlooked an important point, namely that Rita is considering upgrading to Mt. Lion with a view towards possibly reverting to Lion, and if she does decide to revert she'll need a Lion recovery partition (in lieu of an install disc), so how does she perpetuate hers?

And more important, will she even be able to restore Lion after having upgraded, or will the App Store have pegged her Mac pegged at Mt. Lion, costing her the ability to revert via that avenue?

Time Machine can restore to a prior OS. Let TM do a full disk restore to a time when you were on the prior OS, then let TM recover your home folder (or perhaps just your documents folder) back to its latest state. Let the App Store bring your apps back up to date. But frankly, the difference between Lion and MtLion is so slight that it's unlikely you'll ever need to roll back. Especially if you're a new user and don't have a lot of cruft anchoring you in the past.

The App Store still offers to let me download Lion (because I've purchased it) even though I've moved up to MtLion (which it also offers to let me download). In each case, what App Store sees is that I purchased the installer but no longer have it. It doesn't care that they're OS installers; to the App Store, they're just apps. It doesn't even see them as different versions of the same app.

ganbustein #22907 08/05/12 04:08 PM

I think you're right about me not knowing the difference as I am a new user to Lion. I am not entrenched. I don't understand the quote:
Time Machine can restore to a prior OS. Let TM do a full disk restore to a time when you were on the prior OS, then let TM recover your home folder (or perhaps just your documents folder) back to its latest state. Maybe once I've familiarized myself with TM I will get that.

I'm still waiting on anwers to questions I asked a day or two ago, then I will start my backups.

Thanks for your response.

Rita

Originally Posted By: ganbustein

Time Machine can restore to a prior OS. Let TM do a full disk restore to a time when you were on the prior OS, then let TM recover your home folder (or perhaps just your documents folder) back to its latest state. Let the App Store bring your apps back up to date. But frankly, the difference between Lion and MtLion is so slight that it's unlikely you'll ever need to roll back. Especially if you're a new user and don't have a lot of cruft anchoring you in the past.

The App Store still offers to let me download Lion (because I've purchased it) even though I've moved up to MtLion (which it also offers to let me download). In each case, what App Store sees is that I purchased the installer but no longer have it. It doesn't care that they're OS installers; to the App Store, they're just apps. It doesn't even see them as different versions of the same app.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #22911 08/05/12 06:56 PM

I think you're right about me not knowing the difference as I am a new user to Lion. I am not entrenched. I don't understand the quote:
Time Machine can restore to a prior OS. Let TM do a full disk restore to a time when you were on the prior OS, then let TM recover your home folder (or perhaps just your documents folder) back to its latest state. Maybe once I've familiarized myself with TM I will get that.

Don't worry about that. That's an advanced topic. I was responding to artie505, who was wondering if we were telling you to paint yourself into a corner, and I was assuring him that we were not. I see no likelihood that you would ever want to revert from MtLion back to Lion, but should the need arise the option will be there. (It will be somewhat tricky, though, and not to be undertaken lightly.)

I'm still waiting on anwers to questions I asked a day or two ago, then I will start my backups.

I've lost track. Which questions are you still waiting answers on?

ganbustein #22912 08/05/12 09:44 PM

OK, then I won't worry about it. If I want to go back to Lion, I'll bug you guys about the tricky parts. smile

The questions I asked JoeMike yesterday. Thanks for asking.

1. So, can I make a clone of Lion and Mt. Lion onto my external drive (Super Duper) without partitioning it? Would that be better? I am just kind of finding my way through all of this. I have never had an external drive nor felt the need. Now for some reason I think I need one.

2. Can I put Mt. Lion on TM and just clone Lion without partitioning the drive external drive?

3. I thought that I should also clone Mt. Lion since it's not bootable form TM. Is that possible?

4. If I find I have to partition the drive because TM and SD can't be "together" on the same drive, would 50/50 be good?

Help, I just want this to be over.....

Rita

Don't worry about that. That's an advanced topic. I was responding to artie505, who was wondering if we were telling you to paint yourself into a corner, and I was assuring him that we were not. I see no likelihood that you would ever want to revert from MtLion back to Lion, but should the need arise the option will be there. (It will be somewhat tricky, though, and not to be undertaken lightly.)

I've lost track. Which questions are you still waiting answers on?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

ganbustein #22913 08/05/12 09:51 PM

Your posts and Rita's responses have clouded the issue I was attempting to investigate, so I'll restate my question generically...

In the beginning, Apple gave us, in the form of install discs, the option to revert to any version of OS X for which we owned a license, for any reason including your own "The second most common scenario is where you need to re-install the OS."

Recently, as respects upgraders, anyhow, those discs have changed from physical to virtual, in the form of repeatable d/l's from the App Store (forgetting about the fact that the App Store upgrades its d/l's to keep step with OS X).

What I was trying to determine is whether purchasers of new Macs, which come with neither install discs nor accompanying App Store d/l's, Rita included, still have the same option by virtue of their recovery partitions after they've upgraded and without regard for Time Machine backups and clones.

And further, I was trying to determine what, if any, steps must be taken to preserve that option, if it still exists, in the face of upgrades.

plantsower #22923 08/06/12 05:59 PM

OK, then I won't worry about it. If I want to go back to Lion, I'll bug you guys about the tricky parts. smile

Yes. Time Machine and Super Duper backups can live on the same partition of the same hard drive. Time Machine puts its backup into a disk image file.

Yes.

Is it possible? Yes. But in order to do it, you will have to partition the drive. There's no way to have a bootable clone of Lion and Mountain Lion on the same drive at the same time without partitioning.

Time Machine does more than just a clone. It keeps multiple copies ("versions") of your files. Say you have a Word document, for instance. It keeps multiple copies of the Word document, so that you can go back to an earlier version if you want. For that reason, I would give Time Machine a larger partition.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #22925 08/06/12 07:29 PM

OK, now we're getting somewhere. Would it be fine to have 3 partitions? One for TM, one for Mt. Lion clone and one for Lion clone?

Would it be advisable to clone the whole hard drive? If so, would I need a 4th partition?

After this info, I will make my decisions and then start working on it.

Also, should I make some kind of mistake when using SD and TM and get something in the wrong partition, can I just move it or delete it and start over? I'm hoping they ask which partition I want to use.

Thanks so much for your help and time.

Rita

Originally Posted By: tacit

Yes. Time Machine and Super Duper backups can live on the same partition of the same hard drive. Time Machine puts its backup into a disk image file.

Yes.

Is it possible? Yes. But in order to do it, you will have to partition the drive. There's no way to have a bootable clone of Lion and Mountain Lion on the same drive at the same time without partitioning.

Time Machine does more than just a clone. It keeps multiple copies ("versions") of your files. Say you have a Word document, for instance. It keeps multiple copies of the Word document, so that you can go back to an earlier version if you want. For that reason, I would give Time Machine a larger partition.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Mountain Lion & Mac App Store
plantsower #22929 08/06/12 09:56 PM

I've been trying to follow the thread, and I'm not sure the upgrade process to Mountain Lion, which is through the Mac App Store only, has been clearly communicated in all the discussion of partitioning, TM backup & cloning of Lion and Mountain Lion. There's a definitive progression in the upgrade procedure...

I transitioned from 10.7.4 Lion to Mountain Lion 10.8.0, and it is an upgrade process set in motion by purchasing 10.8 on the Mac App Store.

At present, one can not download a disk image file of Mountain Lion, which would allow a subsequent install - say, like downloading a 10.7.4 Combo Client disk image file for later install. So presently, I believe the only way to get Mountain Lion is to through the Mac App Store process, which initiates an installation procedure.

(Plantsower, I assume no charge will be made to your CC as long as you upgrade before 8/24 - but, I don't know how Apple handles that part.)

Once one clicks to purchase of Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store, the upgrade process begins in a continuing process typical of how the Mac App Store installs new - or updates - software.

When this upgrade process is completed, via a restart, the previous OS is no longer on the internal drive since the internal drive is now running Mountain Lion OS 10.8. (As this procedure basically works like an "update," all user files, folder structures, system preferences, & settings are maintained as they were with the prior OS set-up.)

In my situation, I had completed 1 external-drive TM backup and 1 external-drive clone before beginning the upgrade procedure. ...Then, either my TM backup or the clone could have been used for a restore of OS 10.7.4 on the internal drive.

[ IMHO, regarding Mountain Lion, it is the next progression in the Mac OS, regardless of whether one uses iCloud. If one's using 10.7.+ Lion, it certainly makes sense for Macs around 2 years old or newer, to upgrade (for $20, why not ?). There are, however, some niggling issues with 10.8.0 - not real big ones, at least for me - that cause me to generally advise waiting for 10.8.+ and then, install Mountain Lion. My upgrade installation went very smoothy, nonetheless, and 10.8.0 is working very well on my MBP Mid-2010.]

I hope I've provided some helpful clarification about the Mac App Store procedure in this post.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
Re: Mountain Lion & Mac App Store
pbGuy #22930 08/06/12 10:02 PM

Thanks, pbGluy. Upgrading to Mt. Lion isn't really the issue I'm dealing with. I plan to upgrade after I clone it and back it up on TM. I have a page saved from Apple on downloading it for free, so no problem there. I'm just waiting for answers to some of my previous partition questions before I do all of that. Sounds like we're on the same page with the backing up, though.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #22933 08/07/12 04:55 AM

OK, now we're getting somewhere. Would it be fine to have 3 partitions? One for TM, one for Mt. Lion clone and one for Lion clone?

Yes, that would be fine.

Would it be advisable to clone the whole hard drive? If so, would I need a 4th partition?

Each of the Lion and MtLion clones would, presumably, be a clone of the whole (internal) hard drive. From what you've said, you have very little of your own personal data as of yet, so there's no reason to go through the hassle of excluding your personal files from either of these clones. Another clone would be superfluous.

Also, should I make some kind of mistake when using SD and TM and get something in the wrong partition, can I just move it or delete it and start over? I'm hoping they ask which partition I want to use.

SuperDuper and TimeMachine will each ask which partition you want to use. You should carefully read which partition they're asking about before you say OK.

ganbustein #22934 08/07/12 05:03 AM

OK. I think I have all my questions answered (unless more pop up smile. Thank you, and thanks to everyone who took time to help me on this arduous journey into a new OS.

I will be ordering a Missing Manuel book soon, so I won't need to ask to many questions.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind assistance!

Rita

Yes, that would be fine.

Each of the Lion and MtLion clones would, presumably, be a clone of the whole (internal) hard drive. From what you've said, you have very little of your own personal data as of yet, so there's no reason to go through the hassle of excluding your personal files from either of these clones. Another clone would be superfluous.

SuperDuper and TimeMachine will each ask which partition you want to use. You should carefully read which partition they're asking about before you say OK.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

ganbustein #22935 08/07/12 05:06 AM

I'm curious about the answer to the question posed in my last post, if not necessarily for the sake of this thread, then simply for the sake of knowledge.

Thanks.

plantsower #22936 08/07/12 05:08 AM

OK. I think I have all my questions answered (unless more pop up smile ). Thank you, and thanks to everyone who took time to help me on this arduous journey into a new OS.

I will be ordering a Missing Manuel book soon, so I won't need to ask so many questions.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind assistance!

Rita

Yes, that would be fine.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Mountain Lion & Mac App Store
pbGuy #22937 08/07/12 05:42 AM

Originally Posted By: pbGuy
I've been trying to follow the thread, and I'm not sure the upgrade process to Mountain Lion, which is through the Mac App Store only, has been clearly communicated in all the discussion of partitioning, TM backup & cloning of Lion and Mountain Lion. There's a definitive progression in the upgrade procedure...

Purchasing Lion or MtLion from the App Store entitles you to download and run an installer for that version of the OS.

The downloaded installer will begin running as soon as it's downloaded, but you can interrupt it at any time. (For me, it was a four-hour download, followed by a half-hour install, ending with a restart.)

There is a dialog that pops up after the download but before the install. You can cancel the install at that point, squirrel away a copy of the installer, and then relaunch the installer to do the install. You don't have to lose your copy of the installer.

The squirreled-away copy of the installer can be used to reinstall the OS, or to install it on another partition or on another machine that you control. This spares you the four-hour (depending on your internet bandwidth) re-download.

The installer can also be re-downloaded at any time from the App Store, by going to the "Purchases" tab and clicking the "Download" button next to the purchase.

The copy of MtLion she "purchases" for free through the Up-To-Date program counts as a purchase. (I bought Lion the same way a year ago, and it's still showing up on my Purchases list, even though I'm on MtLion.)

I don't know whether App Store will show the copy of Lion that came pre-installed, because pre-installed does not necessarily count as purchased. (The firmware on her computer remembers it came with Lion and therefore carries a license for it. Pre-installed does mean licensed.) The 10.7.4 Combo Updater is still available (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1524) from Apple. The Combo Updater has enough information that it could re-install on a blank drive, but I don't know if it will. It may accept the firmware's assurance of a license, or it may not.

In any event she can get back to Lion using either TM or SD. And isn't likely to need to.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard