An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#22658 - 07/24/12 06:23 AM Erasing Free Space Fails
Pendragon Offline

Loc: Georgetown, Texas, USA
In preparation for Mt. Lion, I thought I would Erase Free Space. But I am unable to do so.

After launching Disk Utilities and initiating the requisite action, I am always advised that the erase could not be done because: “Some information was unavailable during an internal lookup.”

This happens on all internal and external volumes.

I thought that maybe some third-party app/plugin was at play, so I attempted same while in in Safe Boot. Again, no joy.

Now I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

#22662 - 07/24/12 08:17 AM Re: Erasing Free Space Fails [Re: Pendragon]
joemikeb Online

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Google turned up this Apple Discussions thread suggesting it is a permissions issue.

#22666 - 07/24/12 09:19 AM Re: Erasing Free Space Fails [Re: joemikeb]
Pendragon Offline

Many thanks, JoeMike.

But alas, I remain confused. My "System" is already Read & Write". Must I also change the "Wheel" and "Everyone"?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

#22684 - 07/24/12 07:45 PM Re: Erasing Free Space Fails [Re: Pendragon]
joemikeb Online

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
The few answers found on the Apple Discussions seemed to focus on permission issues, but I didn't see any reported successes in response to suggestions to fix permissions — which may or may not mean anything one way or the other. With that as a starting point, I would try running Permission Repair as a first pass attempt at a fix. However the fact this is occurring on more than one volume would tend to eliminate that as a problem source. Still it cannot hurt.

If that fails, in an attempt to narrow the solution space, I would resort to the standard troubleshooting step of booting from a clean test account and see if Erase Free Space works from there.

#22687 - 07/25/12 03:53 AM Re: Erasing Free Space Fails [Re: joemikeb]
Pendragon Offline

I thought your idea of logging in to the guest account and then attempting to erase the free space was a capital idea. But alas, no joy.

After booting back to my main account, I then repaired permissions and, without quitting DU, immediately attempted to erase the free space. Bingo! Voilà! Success!

Always, my thanks.

Moderator:  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb