Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Performance problems and intermittent connection i
#1135 08/15/09 06:14 AM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

I've had several reports today about very slow forum performance and some intermittent issues with connecting to the database (which usually manifest as either a totally blank page or an error to the effect of "the database could not be accessed"). I'm still trying to find a fix short of moving FTM onto a new server; I'll be talking to GoDaddy's tech support staff tomorrow, and I hope to have an update some time this weekend.

In the meantime, if you experience severe slowdown, failure to load, or error messages, please post in this thread. If you see any sort of database errors and you can post the exact error you see in this thread when you're able to get back on, that'd be really helpful.

I am working on the problem and hope to get these growing pains fixed. smile

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Re: Performance problems and intermittent connecti
tacit #1145 08/15/09 10:33 AM

> In the meantime, if you experience severe slowdown, failure to load, or error messages, please post in this thread.

I ran into an "Unable to connect with server" message around 5:40AM EDT (8-15).

Last edited by artie505; 08/15/09 10:37 AM. Reason: Changed quote; clarified time

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
tacit #1163 08/15/09 03:07 PM

It was very slow, and timed out several times on me around noon central time on the 14th. Seems snappy now.

tacit #1164 08/15/09 03:11 PM

It was excruciating around 9:30 AM EDT, August 15. The pages took forever to load and, because I had to go somewhere, I gave up on waiting after several minutes. I never got an error message, however.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: Performance problems and intermittent connection i
tacit #1270 08/17/09 05:56 PM

Annoyingly slow on August 17, both on a Mac platform and a Windows platform.

Some forums do load faster than others, and it does not seem to relate to the number of postings displayed once the page loads.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #1272 08/17/09 06:09 PM

I'm finding it intermittently slow right now too, although judging by the activity lights on my router and modem, the problem is rarely if ever one of slow data transmission; it's slow server response I'm seeing.

Actually loading of pages is very quick once the server is heard from.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #1314 08/17/09 11:10 PM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Actually loading of pages is very quick once the server is heard from.

Yep, it's definitely a server-side issue. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

I'm actually on the phone with tech support right now about getting the problem resolved or the forum moved to a different server. I'll keep you posted on what goes on.

It may be necessary to take the forum offline for a couple of hours some time this week if it does need to be migrated to another server. I'm really hoping that won't be necessary; fingers crossed!

tacit #1668 08/21/09 10:35 AM

In my most resent migrations to different hosts I found the down time to be negligible using Backup Wizard in cpanel. I'm not sure you have cpanel in the new hosting arrangement at godaddy. They do make it available in some of their offerings but not on the smaller accounts. If you do have it, give it a try at say 4am EST when activity is low, I think you'll only see a shorter transformation period. wink

Last edited by sandbox; 08/21/09 10:49 AM.
tacit #1683 08/21/09 02:51 PM

It was intermittently slow earlier in the week but seems to have sped up a bit now.

Edit: it was so slow this evening that I gave up and did something else.

Last edited by Bensheim; 08/21/09 08:50 PM.
Bensheim #1762 08/22/09 08:03 AM

Slower than I'd expect it to be at 4:00 AM EDT on a Sat. (8-22)

From Forums Index to here:

Generated in 21.026 seconds in which 20.806 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #1906 08/24/09 04:15 AM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

The board is back to being intermittent in speed again. I'm talking to support about the problem and about migrating to a different server. I've been pulling my hair out all week dealing with the speed issue, and I'm getting a bit frustrated, but I still have a few things in the pipe I'm working on.

tacit #1912 08/24/09 09:05 AM

Thanks for the update; I'm certain I speak for all when I say that your dedication and patience are truly appreciated.

tacit #1964 08/24/09 09:52 PM

Tacit have a look at this option.

60 GB on Linux, cPanel for $6 a month. 2 year contract $144
http://www.eleven2.com/hosting/
plenty of room for growth!!

They have a good rep as well.
Give um a call maybe they'll let you test drive a server? cool

sandbox #1979 08/25/09 01:22 AM

I've always had good luck with www.globat.com

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #2126 08/27/09 12:27 AM

Roger I don't think that Globat uses cPanel or has access to IMAP email...am i mistaken?

sandbox #2128 08/27/09 12:48 AM

I believe you are right about IMAP, and I'm not familiar with cPanel. are either of those necessary to run UBBThreads, or did I miss something about what tacit is hoping to eventually do with FTM?

stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #2183 08/27/09 09:24 PM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

Neither of them is necessary. IMAP is a server-side email system; cPanel is a common and easy-to-use Web hosting configuration control panel. They're nice, but not necessary, to have.

The baseline requirements for UBB are PHP and MySQL, which almost any Web hot provides these days. I'm currently looking into the cost for spinning off FM onto a Web host that is going to be more reliable, and also offers the kind of expansion we may need in the future.

Re: Performance problems and intermittent connection i
tacit #2187 08/27/09 10:02 PM

I just got this at 11pm UK time.

Failed to Connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.finetunedmac.com.

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.

tacit #2219 08/28/09 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: tacit
Neither of them is necessary. IMAP is a server-side email system; cPanel is a common and easy-to-use Web hosting configuration control panel. They're nice, but not necessary, to have.

The baseline requirements for UBB are PHP and MySQL, which almost any Web hot provides these days. I'm currently looking into the cost for spinning off FM onto a Web host that is going to be more reliable, and also offers the kind of expansion we may need in the future.

thanks for the clarification. in that case, I think that globat is worth a look.

stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
tacit #2248 08/28/09 12:02 PM

FWIW, I've been experiencing the odd 'Failed to Connect' message for the last month including the last few days. Those hang-ups tend to last for a few minutes, after which the requested page(s) load normally again.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #2477 08/30/09 09:25 PM

The response time today has been terrible.

It's not me. I've got 5 bands up on the wireless signal and a solid green light on the broadband router.

Several times I got a completely blank screen with "done" after several minutes - so long that I went away and did something else. Time after time I got "attempting to find finetunedmac.com"

Even when I do manage to get in to post something, I then - after several minutes, just get a blank screen with "done" instead of returning me to this site.

New users might find this offputting, to put it mildly.

I daren't click "preview" in case I lose it all, so here goes for submit.

Bensheim #2482 08/30/09 09:41 PM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

Argh! I had really hoped the problem was resolved for good.

At this point it's definitely not the front-end server, so the problem must be with the database server or the connection between them. Back to work for me, I guess.

Bensheim #2494 08/30/09 10:53 PM

Quote:
I daren't click "preview" in case I lose it all, so here goes for submit.

Having been bitten a time or two over the many years of whimsical server performance at MFIF, I make it a practice to copy and paste the text in the post-composition text box into a blank TextEdit document whenever things seem funky (or, indeed, whenever my post represents a fair amount of hard-to-recreate effort).

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #2506 08/31/09 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
I make it a practice to copy and paste the text in the post-composition text box into a blank TextEdit document whenever things seem funky (or, indeed, whenever my post represents a fair amount of hard-to-recreate effort).

FWIW, I do it the other way around by composing everything I post in a TextEdit file and then copying it over.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #2513 08/31/09 07:33 AM

I take advantage of Butler's multiple pasteboards functionality and periodically (any time I click away from the reply page, at the least) save what I've been composing...a poor man's auto-save.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard