FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can't open PDF file
#22359 07/01/12 05:21 PM
OP Offline

Hi guys:

I downloaded a pdf file today and got this message: Colorsync Utility cannot open files of this type. Huh? I've never had a problem opening pdf files. Not sure what to do from here.

Thanks.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Can't open PDF file
plantsower #22360 07/01/12 06:08 PM

Colorsync Utility shouldn't have anything to do with PDFs. Can you open it with Preview? If this becomes an ongoing problem, try rebuilding the Launch Services database with OnyX. Use the Maintenance tab and select Rebuild (at least in OnyX 2.3.7).

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
plantsower #22361 07/01/12 06:13 PM

Are you sure it is a PDF?

What is the "dot extension" that came with it? Something like "name.pdf"?

Can you force it to open as a PDF by putting in the ".pdf" if you don't see it after the name?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
jchuzi #22364 07/01/12 07:37 PM
OP Offline

I know. That's what was so odd. After I got your response, I right-clicked the icon and it gave me the choice of Colorsync (on top), then Quicktime player.app, Safari.app 4.1.3 and Safari.app 3.1.2 and finally "other." I picked "other" and got the Applications window and found Preview and clicked on it and it opened the pdf file. Whew! Not sure why I had to go through all of that. Something is weird with my Safari now, I guess. Thanks for your help, Jon.

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Colorsync Utility shouldn't have anything to do with PDFs. Can you open it with Preview? If this becomes an ongoing problem, try rebuilding the Launch Services database with OnyX. Use the Maintenance tab and select Rebuild (at least in OnyX 2.3.7).

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Ira L #22365 07/01/12 07:38 PM
OP Offline

Hi Ira:

Yes, I am sure it is a pdf. As I told Jon, I was finally able to open it in a round about way. Not sure what's going on but it's open. Thanks for your response.

Rita

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Are you sure it is a PDF?

What is the "dot extension" that came with it? Something like "name.pdf"?

Can you force it to open as a PDF by putting in the ".pdf" if you don't see it after the name?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #22366 07/01/12 08:20 PM

Can you post a link to that PDF so that we can confirm this behavior? It might be a peculiarity of your system, or it might be something wonky with the file.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #22367 07/01/12 08:57 PM
OP Offline

This was embedded in an email to me. I copied and pasted it here. Didn't know how else to do it. Looks like the "DOWNLOAD" link is dead here, but you can obviously copy and paste the one below it. Don't freak. It's an out of the box type of e-book. LOL!!

This is the link I got when the first one wouldn't open. The only way I can get the first link to you is to forward the original email if you'd like.

Here's the link to the download of the book: DOWNLOAD. or here;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/118439/Creator%20Gods%20of%20the%20Physical%20Universe%20Want%20to%20Talk%20to%20You_%2C%20Large%20Format.pdf

Can you post a link to that PDF so that we can confirm this behavior? It might be a peculiarity of your system, or it might be something wonky with the file.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #22368 07/01/12 09:03 PM

Thanks, Rita. I pasted the full address into Safari and Safari downloaded it as a PDF. I then saved it as a PDF, accessed the file from the desktop, and it opened in Preview (as it should).

Perhaps the email was compromised (just a thought)? As an interesting experiment, email a PDF to yourself and see what happens. In case you don't have any at hand, pick one from http://www.irs.gov/

Jon

jchuzi #22369 07/01/12 09:13 PM
OP Offline

Neither email (I was sent two because I couldn't open the pdf link in the first one) with different links for the same book worked. I actually did email myself earlier in case I couldn't get any help here. I may open it at some point. It's about 11 megabytes and I don't want to waste any bandwidth. I am allowed an average of 140 megabytes a day with my low grade satellite plan. So, not much YouTube for me!!

I opened a pdf form from the irs without a problem. But it didn't seem like a normal pdf. It didn't open in preview, it just opened. It has a "portlet" in the pdf url, whatever that is.

Rita

Thanks, Rita. I pasted the full address into Safari and Safari downloaded it as a PDF. I then saved it as a PDF, accessed the file from the desktop, and it opened in Preview (as it should).

Perhaps the email was compromised (just a thought)? As an interesting experiment, email a PDF to yourself and see what happens. In case you don't have any at hand, pick one from http://www.irs.gov/

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #22370 07/01/12 11:16 PM

Did the PDF open in Safari? If you accessed it from Safari, that's normal (Safari displays it, not Preview). I get that "portlet" thing also; my guess is that it's the IRS's designation. I don't seem to get it from other sites that I tried.

Safari can handle PDF's without your having to launch Preview. Preview is only used if the PDF is unopened, from another source. My best guess is that the email had some peculiarities. If this is the only time that it happens, you can probably ignore it. Still, you might want to rebuild the Launch Services database as a precaution. The only downside is that files will open with their default apps. If you had specified a different app for a particular file or file type, you'll have to reset it so that it opens with your preferred app. (For example, if you had set PDFs to open with Adobe Reader, that will change to Preview and you'll have to redo your preferences.)

Jon

plantsower #22371 07/02/12 07:25 AM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but it sounds like all that has happened is that the system has become confused about what program to open when you double-click on a PDF.

Your computer keeps a list of what programs go with what kinds of files. It's called the Launch Services database. Sometimes, it gets a bit cattywumpus and then the wrong program opens when you double-click a file.

I almost never double-click files to open them any more; instead, when I want to open a file, I click, hold down the mouse button, and drag it to the program I want to use. But if you double-click, every so often you might see weird things happen, like JPEGs trying to open in Microsoft Word or PDFs trying to open in ColorSync or something.

It is easy to fix. Do this:

Step 1: Click once on a PDF.
Step 2: Go to the File menu and choose Get Info.
Step 3: Look for a popup menu in the Info window that says Open With:. If it is not set to the program that you want to use (like, say, Preview), click the popup menu and choose Preview.
Step 4: Click the Change All button.

Now the Launch Services glitch has been fixed and the system will open Preview whenever you double-click a PDF.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
jchuzi #22374 07/02/12 04:37 PM
OP Offline

Yes, I opened the IRS PDF in Safari. I'm not used to things just opening up. I think almost every PDF I've ever opened used Preview.

I don't have Adobe Acrobat as I've never needed it.

Thanks for your ideas. Much appreciated.

Rita

Did the PDF open in Safari? If you accessed it from Safari, that's normal (Safari displays it, not Preview). I get that "portlet" thing also; my guess is that it's the IRS's designation. I don't seem to get it from other sites that I tried.

Safari can handle PDF's without your having to launch Preview. Preview is only used if the PDF is unopened, from another source. My best guess is that the email had some peculiarities. If this is the only time that it happens, you can probably ignore it. Still, you might want to rebuild the Launch Services database as a precaution. The only downside is that files will open with their default apps. If you had specified a different app for a particular file or file type, you'll have to reset it so that it opens with your preferred app. (For example, if you had set PDFs to open with Adobe Reader, that will change to Preview and you'll have to redo your preferences.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

tacit #22375 07/02/12 04:39 PM
OP Offline

Thank you for your very clear explanation. I need that kind of direction when learning new things. When I get a chance, I will follow those steps and fix what's wrong (if it happens again). Thanks so much. You are a great teacher!

Rita

Originally Posted By: tacit
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but it sounds like all that has happened is that the system has become confused about what program to open when you double-click on a PDF.

Your computer keeps a list of what programs go with what kinds of files. It's called the Launch Services database. Sometimes, it gets a bit cattywumpus and then the wrong program opens when you double-click a file.

I almost never double-click files to open them any more; instead, when I want to open a file, I click, hold down the mouse button, and drag it to the program I want to use. But if you double-click, every so often you might see weird things happen, like JPEGs trying to open in Microsoft Word or PDFs trying to open in ColorSync or something.

It is easy to fix. Do this:

Step 1: Click once on a PDF.
Step 2: Go to the File menu and choose Get Info.
Step 3: Look for a popup menu in the Info window that says Open With:. If it is not set to the program that you want to use (like, say, Preview), click the popup menu and choose Preview.
Step 4: Click the Change All button.

Now the Launch Services glitch has been fixed and the system will open Preview whenever you double-click a PDF.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #22411 07/03/12 04:08 PM

yep sounds like the system thinks .PDF is meant to be opened as a colorsync profile. OR the pdf has a colorsync profile in it and it's incompatible. Does this happen with ALL pdfs now or just one or a few?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #22421 07/03/12 05:25 PM
OP Offline

So far, just the one pdf. Freaky thing. But, at least now I know what to do should it happen again. Thanks for responding.

Rita

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
yep sounds like the system thinks .PDF is meant to be opened as a colorsync profile. OR the pdf has a colorsync profile in it and it's incompatible. Does this happen with ALL pdfs now or just one or a few?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #22441 07/04/12 01:21 PM

There is a big difference in email attachments and downloading files using either HTTP or FTP protocols. Because of limitations in the SMTP server protocols, email attachments must be converted into 7 bit ASCII characters using MIME protocols. Usually this is a very straightforward encoding/decoding process transparent to the user, but that is not always the case. The MIME encoding/decoding is NOT required, or used, for HTTP or FTP file transfers so the testing performed by Jchuzi and others, while informative, overlooks the possibility of a MIME glitch in the file you received by email.

I have seen a few, very few, cases where a MIME glitch caused an email attachment to have everything from a confused file type to an attachment that could not be decoded. Often resending the attachment solved the problem, but in at least one case, having the message resent did NOT cure the problem. Not having the time or sufficient curiosity to perform elaborate testing, the only explanation I could come up with was something wonky in the file itself or in the MIME encoder created the glitch.

It sounds to me as if this is one of those otherwise inexplicable situations.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #22445 07/04/12 04:30 PM
OP Offline

I think you may be right. I am not very techy and this is the first time it's happened to me. Thanks for your in depth explanation.

Rita

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
There is a big difference in email attachments and downloading files using either HTTP or FTP protocols. Because of limitations in the SMTP server protocols, email attachments must be converted into 7 bit ASCII characters using MIME protocols. Usually this is a very straightforward encoding/decoding process transparent to the user, but that is not always the case. The MIME encoding/decoding is NOT required, or used, for HTTP or FTP file transfers so the testing performed by Jchuzi and others, while informative, overlooks the possibility of a MIME glitch in the file you received by email.

I have seen a few, very few, cases where a MIME glitch caused an email attachment to have everything from a confused file type to an attachment that could not be decoded. Often resending the attachment solved the problem, but in at least one case, having the message resent did NOT cure the problem. Not having the time or sufficient curiosity to perform elaborate testing, the only explanation I could come up with was something wonky in the file itself or in the MIME encoder created the glitch.

It sounds to me as if this is one of those otherwise inexplicable situations.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard