for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Visitor: allowing access
#22425 07/03/12 09:07 PM
OP Offline

I don't know where to put this (and having had one thread moved already) will put it here.

I have a far-away nephew visiting sometime in the next few weeks. I predict that he'll request computer access to email home (for instance).

I'm not saying that I don't trust anyone, but no-one else has ever used these computers before. There is a great deal of personal data (files and folders, photos, bookmarks and history, emails) which I wouldn't want anyone else to have the chance to rummage around - my own relative or not.

My idea is to set up a guest account - which I've never had to do before. The question is: how to allow that Guest access to internet only - presuming that he'll use some internet-email - and NOT to be able to even see the contents of designated Mac's folders?

I couldn't exactly stand over him while he's emailing home, could I?

Call me paranoid or unnecessarily wary if you wish: it's no matter to me. What does matter to me is what these youngsters get up to on computers these days, and he's not going to, on mine if I can possibly help it.

Any helpful replies welcomed. I'm sure this scenario has been encountered before. (No, I don't know if he'll bring some sort of computer with him, but even if he does he'll achieve little to no wi-fi access right here.)

Re: Visitor: allowing access
Bensheim #22426 07/03/12 10:51 PM

Try the links at this Apple search page.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Bensheim #22433 07/04/12 09:02 AM

What OS are you using? Lion has that function (Guest User) built in.

Bensheim #22470 07/07/12 12:37 PM

why can't you just create another user account and make sure auto login is off?

or are you worried he's snoopy and technical enough to hack into your other user account? If that's the case, the "physical access" rule applies, and you either need to not allow use of the computer, or filevault your account. (maybe scrounge up a cheap computer for guests to use, that's what I did here, the guest room has its own older imac)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard