for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Need a new keyboard: specific requirements
Bensheim #2194 08/27/09 10:38 PM

Bensheim I retract what I said about being sorry you started this thread. I am typing this on a DasKeyboard adapted with the optional Apple key caps. Admittedly it wasn't cheap, but IMO worth the price. It is solid and well made, a bit heavier than normal -- a lot heavier than Apple's new keyboards and has the wonderful clickety sound and touch of the old IBM and Apple buckling spring keyboards with enough key movement to make it obvious you have typed the character. Thanks for getting me started once more on my perpetual search for the perfect keyboard.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #2270 08/28/09 01:44 PM

Uh-oh, JMB, now you're giving ME the mech kb itch. Must. Stay. Strong...

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
donikatz #2278 08/28/09 03:11 PM

Uh Oh! My bad. tongue

— Albert Einstein
Mechanical Keyboard?
#12349 10/11/10 05:58 PM
OP Offline

I thought I'd started a thread here about mechanical (as opposed to thin flat silent) keyboards, but cannot find it. I therefore presume that that was on a previous incarnation of MacFixit or something.

Having replaced the monitor for the MDD tower G4, the keyboard is also ~10 years old and needs replacing. We HATE flat silent keyboards (which come shipped with iMacs, for instance). We all type fast and the response from a mechanical keyboard is exactly what we are used to/need in a busy editorial office.

I've spent hours on the internet earlier trying to source an extended keyboard (i.e., full width) with such action. I may have found a Cherry one on Amazon, and have emailed the retailer.

However, am I right in thinking that such keyboards are Old Hat nowadays? Old Style, Passé? If yes, then that's a terrible, terrible shame.

All helpful answers welcomed. Thanks.

Re: Mechanical Keyboard?
Bensheim #12350 10/11/10 07:20 PM

Check out DasKeyboard it uses the "buckling spring" key action similar to that used in the original IBM and Apple keyboards and is available with Apple keycaps. Pricey, but built like a tank and should last for years.

— Albert Einstein
Bensheim #12353 10/11/10 10:52 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Bensheim, I found your earlier keyboard thread so merged the new one with it.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #12373 10/13/10 05:50 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Cyn, it was fascinating reading. I had no idea I put that much into this topic, earlier.

On a hunch, I went to a spare room and looked at my previous Mac which is stored there - not thrown away yet. The keyboard was grubby and I vaguely recall at least one key doesn't work, but anyway gave it a shot. (It's a Lindy USB "made for Macs".)

Gave Lindy a thorough clean and connected it to an iMac, without much hope. iMac identified it and then, away we go! Tested all keys, which work apart from broken power on/off, so I've just saved myself x$/£/€ in sourcing replacement clicky-clack k/b for now. Great!

On this topic of not throwing away old kit, I'll start a new topic, and hope people see it. I'd like other peoples' thoughts too.

Bensheim #12941 11/26/10 06:56 PM

Just got the ULTIMATE DASKEYBOARD a couple of weeks ago. Loving it. No printing on the keys so I never look down anymore - just like when I took typing class on the IBM Selectric in the 1970s!

The only thing I missed was the Volume Up/Down/Mute button as found on the Apple Keyboard. But I used an application (in another thread) to re-assign the Home/Insert/End keys to control the volume from the keyboard. Note: These can be converted back again by simply re-assigning.

P.S. It took a little bit of getting used to because you cannot "cheat" by looking down at the keys . . . but, then again, that is the whole point of the design.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard