for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
safari printing not even close
#21611 04/17/12 03:09 PM
OP Offline

Sometimes when I try to print a page from safari, or intending to save as pdf, safari butchers the page and a lot of the content is gone or moved around. I just made a purchase and am at paypal's second screen. (the first where you enter your password, the second is the summary and confirmation while at paypal, with the Continue button)

When I go to save as pdf, the view in the little window to the left is lacking ALL the information on the right half of the page where the actual payment summary is.

This is not isolated to paypal, I've had this problem frequently recently when trying to print or save to pdf. Safari just takes entire elements/frames off the page when it goes to print. Any ideas? I like to keep pdf prints of my online purchases until I get them and they're ok, so I guess for now I'll be doing screen captures?

Last edited by cyn; 04/17/12 05:39 PM. Reason: Moved from the "Mac OS X 10.6.x & 10.7.x" forum to the "Networking" forum.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: safari printing not even close
Virtual1 #21612 04/17/12 03:34 PM

A few suggestions:
- Save the page as a webarchive, in addition to a PDF.
- Try iCab for making PDFs

Bonus suggestion: check what you saved before you leave the page you want to save. smirk

Btw, I take it you've restarted your Mac, or quit and reloaded Safari after previous attempts, and that this made no difference? Likewise, the same sites/pages consistently mess up this way?
Btw2, if you resort to screen captures, use a utility that saves the entire page/frame, including the areas you may have to scroll to on screen.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #21613 04/17/12 04:13 PM

Most secure pages which use "frames" for information don't result in such being saved when you want to save/print it.

Try Print, within which (button at bottom) choose Save as PDF.
That's done it for me on many occasion.

grelber #21616 04/17/12 05:41 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: grelber
Most secure pages which use "frames" for information don't result in such being saved when you want to save/print it.

Try Print, within which (button at bottom) choose Save as PDF.
That's done it for me on many occasion.

That's what I was actually intending to do, not print, but print page up, and save as pdf. Recently I've been making folders in mail and placing all the emails I receive (and send) for each purchase in their own folder. For invoices like this I will print to pdf things, and then create a draft in mail and attach these files (which copies them into the mailbox) and move the draft into the folder with the rest of the emails, much better organized than saving emails and files like this separately.

Anyway you can look here to see what I get when I try to print. The print preview looks the same as the printout and the saved pdf.

Virtual1 #21622 04/17/12 08:16 PM

If not redundantly obvious, once you get to the invoice page, many sites offer an option to print from within their site, or offer a printer friendly version of the invoice. These seem to always be clean and complete.

My experience is that either option still goes to a print dialog box, so you could still save as a PDF at that point.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Virtual1 #21644 04/18/12 10:27 PM

Since it's using HTML rendering to fit within an 8.5 by 11 page, I'm thinking it doesn't have enough room on the right for that content and it's getting pushed below or a 100% it's getting trimmed and pushed to the 2nd page. You may see the same on the web page if you narrow the window. Did you try reducing the scale value in the Print Window?

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Kevin M. Dean #21783 05/02/12 07:08 PM
OP Offline

its not spilling to a new page, and scaling it to fit / zooming down doesn't help. it's like someone went through the page source with a garden shears.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard