An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cannot upload an image: Permissions issue?
#21545 04/12/12 09:43 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

One software says I cannot upload an image because the image or the container folder does not have permission. Indeed there is one "unknown" in permissions, that I cannot get to a read write no matter how hard I try -- both on the folder, the desktop, and the file (this is all on my laptop) I've done a repair permission. I'm out of ideas. thanks!

And this unknown will not delete, I've tried and tried.

Re: Cannot upload an image: Permissions issue?
kevs #21548 04/12/12 10:33 PM

Follow the instructions in How to Repair User-Level Permissions in Mac OS X to repair your home folder permissions.

(Edit: Disk Utility's "Repair Permissions" doesn't touch your home folder.)

No guarantee, but it's a good start.

Last edited by artie505; 04/12/12 11:22 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #21551 04/13/12 01:41 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Artie, that scared me, resetting passwords etc. Went over my head, but I understand what you are saying, the usual repair permission wont do the trick.

But what the heck is this unknown user and why wont it delete?

kevs #21552 04/13/12 01:56 AM

There's nothing scary in there, kevs.

"Reset Password" is mentioned only because Apple, for some obscure reason, buried the reset home folder permissions functionality under that tab.

Just follow the instructions:

Originally Posted By: macobserver
In OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, boot to the Mac’s install disc by inserting the disc and holding down the “C” key at startup (or holding Alt/Option and selecting the disc from the boot menu). Once you’ve selected your language and are at the installer’s main menu, choose “Utilities” from the menu bar, then “Reset Password.” This menu allows you to reset user account passwords but also allows you to reset ACLs by choosing a user account from the top menu and then clicking “Reset” at the bottom of the screen.)

And as for your "unknown user" and why you can't delete the file, judging from your prior posts I'll guess that your intern did something weird.

Edit: As I said, hope springs eternal. frown

Last edited by artie505; 04/13/12 09:45 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard