An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Another device is using my ip -- this a worry?
#21335 04/01/12 04:35 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

This morning, there is a message, "Another device on this network is using your computers IP... Try connecting later..)

Now I was connected to the internet fine. That other device could be the laptop in the living room. I've never seen this message before. Is this a case of concern?

Re: Another device is using my ip -- this a worry?
kevs #21336 04/01/12 05:24 PM

Whether or not your error message is a case for concern depends on how well your internet connection works. That said, there clearly is something going on that can be fixed, and that fixing is likely going to involve your current network/hardware settings.

To do that we'd need to know some more about your network hardware, and specifically what kind of router, modem or gateway (modem/router combo) you have*, and (if you know that) how these components are configured (for example 'bridge', 'router', or 'NAT' mode).

*) Please list everything in this category that you currently have hooked up.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #21338 04/01/12 07:03 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks A, did not understand first part, but working new the Apple extreme and the express. Just got them both recently. Working good.

kevs #21342 04/01/12 09:55 PM

The error message you get is due to one or more incorrect network settings applied to your Airport Extreme and/or Express with Airport Utility. This may not affect your normal internet use beyond the annoyance of the error popping up. Whatever the case may be, the error can be removed by correcting the proper setting(s) in Airport Utility.

Which particular setting needs fixing depends on exactly how you configured your Extreme and Express with Airport Utility, hence my question about configuration. If you want to get an idea of what could be going on, Google for the error message, and check out some of the many Apple Discussions threads on the topic.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #21343 04/02/12 12:30 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks A.

kevs #21403 04/05/12 09:52 PM

this can be caused by a variety of problems. What it amounts to is that two computers on your LAN are trying to use the same IP address.

The biggest cause of this I see is when someone has multiple machines booted up on their lan and reboots their router, but a switch or wifi does not get rebooted. Computers connected to the router will re-dhcp normally, but computers connected to a powered on switch or wifi will NOT, and will continue to use the IP address the router gave them earlier. The router will reset its DHCP table when it reboots, and begin handing out addresses from the start again. So if a machine hanging on a switch has 192.168.1.101, and 101 is the start of the pool, the first machine to dhcp off the router when it reboots will also attain 101, and now you have two machines with the same IP address on the lan, and one or both will pop up a warning.

The easiest way to fix this is to power cycle ALL your network hardware. Or you can run around and reboot all your computers, whatever's easier.

There are other less common ways to trigger this message. Static mapping your computers will do it if you don't pay attention to keeping the static and dhcp ranges separate. More than one router on your LAN handing out DHCP leases will also do it. It can be tricky scouring a large building to find the rogue router someone has connected backwards (LAN port on their router from home to jack on the wall) in their office behind their desk. Networked printers are often configured static and can be misplaced inside the dhcp pool.

You can look at the mac address that is listed and get on the internet and look up the prefix to see what sort of hardware you are hunting for. For example, you may find you are looking for a certain model of NIC that only comes with windows drivers. Or even a specific model of printer. Or a range that Apple is registered to. nmap can be slightly helpful with this too, you can disconnect the computer with the message from the network and use nmap to do an OS identification on the IP and see if it can get you some information. nmap can get very specific, "windows NT, service pack 3" etc.

Last edited by Virtual1; 04/05/12 09:53 PM.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #21407 04/05/12 10:14 PM

Hope springs eternal.... frown

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard