Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Resource Header
#21261 03/28/12 01:49 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

imac 2009 OS 10.5.8
Just ran D/W and it says "Detected that the resource header is damaged and cannot be repaired"
It lists a long path which mostly dwells on PSE 10 (editor & organizer)
Yesterday I used PSE 10 for a couple of hours without incidence.
Should I be concerned? I'm going to run TTP6 and edrive and see what that tells me, if anything.
Can someone enlighten me about the resource header?
jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: Resource Header
jaybass #21273 03/28/12 09:23 PM

DW will check fork structures. This error is data corruption, not directory or hardware problems. (not directly, it could have been CAUSED by directory or hardware problems)

The file may or may not be usable.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
jaybass #21280 03/29/12 01:45 AM

What's the exact file in that long path?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Virtual1 #21284 03/29/12 02:29 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

After posting, I ran TTP6. using edrive, it checked 'Rebuild and repair vloumes directory' It reported "No rebuild errors Encountered" Then it checked "Run Volume Optimization" It defraged and erased free free space. When I used D/W,
I also checked the files and they are ok.
Using the HD volume, TTP6 did a complete computer check and it was also ok.
You say the file may or may not be usable. How do I find that file?
Thanks for your response.

jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
tacit #21285 03/29/12 02:45 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Path Verbatim. "imacHD/app/PSE10/PSE10 organizer.app/contents/elements autoanalyizer.app/contents/frameworks/adobe owl.frammwork/version/A/resources/adobeSWFL.bundle/contents/resources/

Some of the above letters should be upper case. Unfortunately, I didn't save the report hence having to type it. Does that help?

jaybass

jaybass #21286 03/29/12 02:55 PM

may affect elements 10 app (reinstall it) but nothing beyond that.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
tacit #21287 03/29/12 02:58 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I have just tried to open OSE 10 and a window opened saying " A required application library failed to load and the product cannot continue. Please reinstall the application"
I will reinstall and see what happens.
jaybass

Virtual1 #21289 03/29/12 03:48 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I reinstalled PSE 10 and it is working fine. I again ran D/W and the resource header wasn't mentioned so that problem file doesn't exist now.

Thank you both for helping me out.

jaybass

jaybass #21291 03/29/12 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: jaybass
I reinstalled PSE 10 and it is working fine. I again ran D/W and the resource header wasn't mentioned so that problem file doesn't exist now.

...but it might come back.

Lesson learned: don't bother running DiskWarrior's 'check files' routine.
[or at least: don't accept those results as gospel by allowing it to repair them.]

Some programs put strange stuff into files whose names have a .plist extension.
Some programs put strange stuff into files whose names have a .rsrc extension.

While that may be bad practice on the part of such programs, PSE wasn't giving you any problem until DW "fixed" it.

Alsoft probably added that feature just to ward off the 'one trick pony' label on DW.
And this isn't the first time i've heard of things going wrong with it.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 03/29/12 04:30 PM.
Hal Itosis #21295 03/29/12 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Lesson learned: don't bother running DiskWarrior's 'check files' routine.
[or at least: don't accept those results as gospel by allowing it to repair them.]

I don't think DW repaired anything there; in fact Jaybass mentioned in his OP that DW couldn't repair it. A subsequent run with TTP might have, but that isn't clear from its description. One conclusion could be that the mere running of this particular DW routine had something to do with (if not caused) its findings.

Care to elaborate?

alternaut moderator
alternaut #21297 03/29/12 04:54 PM

Not particularly. (I didn't feel like reading every word -- the flagged file was fine, so DW was wrong).

Just take what's useful from my previous post, and discard what you don't need.

Hal Itosis #21303 03/30/12 12:40 AM

> Lesson learned: don't bother running DiskWarrior's 'check files' routine.

> PSE wasn't giving you any problem until DW "fixed" it.

DW flags files it thinks are problematic (xml-wise, I believe); it doesn't have repair functionality...can't fix anything.

Originally Posted By: DW Manual
Check All Files & Folders
Sometimes the internal structure of special files can become corrupt. Under MacOS X, preference files, a well as many other data files, share a special format. If this format becomes corrupt other parts of the OS will be unable to read these files or will read incorrect data, causing bad system behavior. DiskWarrior will check the internal structure of these types of files for flaws. If any are found they will be displayed in the report and you can remove those files. (Emphasis added)

> Alsoft probably added that feature just to ward off the 'one trick pony' label on DW.
And this isn't the first time i've heard of things going wrong with it.

You're guess about the feature addition rings true (although if that and repairing permissions are the best they can do they're pretty short on imagination), but can running a simple file-parsing routine actually result in damage to a parsed file? Can you cite any examples?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Hal Itosis #21309 03/30/12 12:35 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

"but it might come back" Are you aware of any particular reason?
If there are conditions under which this problem might re-occur, please enlighten me.
jaybass

artie505 #21310 03/30/12 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
DW flags files it thinks are problematic (xml-wise, I believe); it doesn't have repair functionality...can't fix anything.

Well, that certainly explains why I get the same results every time I run the file structure test on DW and why I'll now stop wondering "Gee, why doesn't it ever fix these?"

Interesting bit.....I just ran the same test on both DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro. Not only are the two results very different, there isn't a single file common to both. DW had the most ominous messages.

DiskWarrior - Identified 5 Files

3 said - File: "Localized.rsrc"! Detected that the resource header is damaged and cannot be repaired

2 said - File: "com.apple.iphotomosaic.plist"! Detected that Property List data is damaged and cannot be repaired.

TechTool Pro - Identified 10 Files

8 said - File is corrupt or is an unsupported file format (6 were .jpg, 2 were .png)

2 said - The end of the file was reached: (Both were .gif)

Okay, well maybe it's not that interesting....but it's at least curious.

Last edited by ryck; 03/30/12 05:22 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #21311 03/30/12 07:21 PM

> "Gee, why doesn't it ever fix these?"

The important thing to remember is that they don't necessarily need to be fixed.

Originally Posted By: Hal
Some programs put strange stuff into files whose names have a .plist extension.
Some programs put strange stuff into files whose names have a .rsrc extension.

Just because a utility says that it has detected (I'll call it) non-standard xml code in a file doesn't mean that the file is damaged.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #21312 03/30/12 08:56 PM

Clink....which is the sound of the penny dropping. Thank-you to both you and Hal.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #21313 03/30/12 09:37 PM

There's no way for any utility program to fix a damaged plist or resource file because there's no way for the computer to know what information is supposed to be there.

Let's take a property list (plist) file as an example. These files are often used to store preferences for a program. They're just text files, and they have special keywords that look a little bit like HTML. The reason they are stored this way is that OS X contains a programming API to read a plist text file and hand the program back all the information it needs, so it's an easy way for a programmer to save information.

A simple plist file might look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<string>Bill</string>
<string>HGQN-WCCF-WORF-QAHZ</string>
<true/>
</plist>

This might be a simple property list to store information that says a shareware program has been registered (with the <true />), that the program is registered to Bill, and that the serial number is HGQN-WCCF-WORF-QAHZ.

But let's say that the file is damaged. Let's say that it got overwritten by a letter to Bill's mom, because the disk directory was screwed up and the letter was saved to the same spot on the disk that the plist file was saved to. Now it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<string>Bill</string>
<string>HGQN-WCCDear mom,

I really liked the sweater you knitted me for Christmas. As you know, purple and Day-Glo orange are my favorite colors, and they look so good together! Especially with the lime green stripes you added as an accent! I can't wait to wear it to work. The judge and the other lawyers will love it.

Love, Bill

Now, DiskWarrior can tell that the file is damaged, because plist files have to follow certain rules: they always have to have the same number of closing and opening tags, and they always have to end with </plist>. So DiskWarrior will report that this file is messed up. But it won't fix it, because it has no way to know what's supposed to go there.

The same is true of resource files. These can contain all sorts of information. It is common for programs to have several localized.rsrc files inside them. These are language files. When you run a program on OS X, the operating system will see what the language is set to on that computer, then it will search for a localized.rsrc file that has the same language. So if the programmer has made English and German versions of the program, the program will take all of its text (button labels, menu commands, and so on) from the English localized.rsrc file if the program is running on an English version of OS X, and will take them from the German localized.rsrc file if you run the program on a German copy of OS X.

If a program has a bad localized.rsrc file but still runs just fine anyway, that means that the damaged file is for a language you're not using. If you copied the program onto a different computer that was installed with a different language, it wouldn't run.

Again, a utility like DiskWarrior can't fix a localized.rsrc file, because it has no way to know what should be there; it can't tell what the buttons and menu items and so forth should say.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #21316 03/30/12 11:47 PM

Despite the similarities in his opening sentence and our fourth sentence in the TechTool Pro manual section linked below, Tacit did not write our manual. We will fix our typos:

File Structures Test in TechTool Pro 5 & 6

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
tacit #21325 03/31/12 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
There's no way for any utility program to fix... to ....and menu items and so forth should say.

First, thanks very much for taking time for a comprehensive response. After reading it, I did another experiment.

I tracked one of the .jpg files shown as "File is corrupt or is an unsupported file format:" It was an attachment to an old sent email message. I went to the message and the jpeg opened.

I then went back to the problem .jpg file and moved it to trash. I also determined, by trying to open it, that it was empty. I did a restart.

Thinking the file might re-build the way plists do, I went back to the folder that previously had the .jpg file but the folder was empty. I then returned to the email message containing the attachment and, although the file containing the description was no longer in the folder, the email jpeg opened.

So, long story short, it appears that I can get rid of these "File is corrupt or is an unsupported file format:" files without a lot of concern. I assume it will be the same with .png or .rsrc

I also re-ran the TechTool file structure test and, predictably, it found nine corrupt files (the ten from yesterday minus the one I trashed).

By the way.....that was some sweater. I had to put my sunglasses on just to read the description. laugh

Last edited by ryck; 03/31/12 04:50 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
MicroMatTech3 #21326 03/31/12 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: MicroMatTech3

Thanks. I had read this but probably a bit too quickly. If I had perused a bit more carefully, I would have realized I shouldn't expect to see any .rsrc files.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #21327 03/31/12 05:19 PM

You are welcome.

All of our manuals are now available online:

MicroMat Product Manuals

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
ryck #21328 03/31/12 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally Posted By: MicroMatTech3

Thanks. I had read this but probably a bit too quickly. If I had perused a bit more carefully, I would have realized I shouldn't expect to see any .rsrc files.

Aren't rsrc files included under " Check Databases (e.g. plist and xml files)?"

> So, long story short, it appears that I can get rid of these "File is corrupt or is an unsupported file format:" files without a lot of concern. I assume it will be the same with .png or .rsrc

With an image file, such as a png, I believe you're correct (other than that you'll lose the [Edit: source] image, but I believe that trashing plist and rsrc files will (Edit: possibly, if not) likely buy you trouble (Edit: because, as per Hal, the files may be flagged for being merely non-standard, rather than problematic).

Last edited by artie505; 04/01/12 06:06 AM. Reason: Expand

artie505 #21334 04/01/12 03:55 PM

Apparently not. TechTool has three options, including that one. It was selected (per the defaults).

With an image file, such as a png... through to ....as per Hal, the files may be flagged for being merely non-standard, rather than problematic).

....which raises the logical question: If both DW and TT only identify the files; the identified files may only be non-standard, not actually problematic; and, even if the files were a problem, neither program fixes them; why bother?

Last edited by ryck; 04/01/12 03:55 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #21337 04/01/12 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck

Apparently not. TechTool has three options, including that one. It was selected (per the defaults).

I believe rsrc files are included under the xml umbrella.

Anybody?

> ....which raises the logical question: If both DW and TT only identify the files; the identified files may only be non-standard, not actually problematic; and, even if the files were a problem, neither program fixes them; why bother?

The functionality is provided just to give you a heads-up on what may be an issue; there's really no need to even run the test unless you're troubleshooting a problem.

artie505 #21347 04/02/12 07:18 PM

I believe rsrc files are included under the xml umbrella.

Why would they be? There is no overlap in their formats. xml is a pure text representation; a rsrc file is anything but. rsrc files date back to the Lisa (1983); xml was first described in 1997 and adopted by w3c in 1998.

rsrc files are in the sort of arcane ad hoc binary format that the xml founders were rebelling against.

The only reason the comment says "e.g. plist and xml files", calling out plist in addition to xml, is that xml is only one of the four formats that can be used for plist files. (The other three formats are NEXTSTEP (deprecated), bplist, and JSON (new with Lion).) They want to make it clear that plist files in the bplist format (at least) will also be checked.

Not that it would be hard to check a rsrc file. The RezDet tool will do all the heavy lifting for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard