An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#21086 - 03/15/12 06:54 PM Java Runtime and Safari Preferences
MarkG Offline

This occurs when I go into Safari Preferences and go to Privacy to check on cookies. To open “PluginProcess” you need a Java runtime. Would you like to install one now?
It is asking to download through Software Update.
I am running 10.7.3 without Java at the moment.
I am not sure why it is only showing in the Privacy part of Safari Preferences when Apple deliberately left Java out of Lion. Thanks Mark

#21092 - 03/16/12 07:53 AM Re: Java Runtime and Safari Preferences [Re: MarkG]
Ira L Offline

Loc: California
Maybe you just have not encountered another instance where you needed Java.

Apple is now leaving the development of Java to Oracle, which is fine from Mac users' perspective. I don't think it has anything to do with problems of Java and OS 10.7.x. It is a convenience of OS X that you can download it through Software Update and not have to search it out on some Oracle site.

What is your reluctance or concern?

#21093 - 03/16/12 08:41 AM Re: Java Runtime and Safari Preferences [Re: Ira L]
MarkG Offline

I was surprised that something as simple as checking on cookies would need Java. I have heard that there was security issues with Java.

#21101 - 03/17/12 08:35 AM Re: Java Runtime and Safari Preferences [Re: MarkG]
Ira L Offline

Loc: California
There can be security issues with many different components of any computer operating system.

Java is not inherently a "security issue". Many observers have said that the biggest security risk for any computer is the human operator. smirk

#21105 - 03/17/12 01:48 PM Re: Java Runtime and Safari Preferences [Re: Ira L]
MarkG Offline

Thanks for the feedback.

#21106 - 03/18/12 06:27 PM Re: Java Runtime and Safari Preferences [Re: MarkG]
tacit Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
Checking cookies doesn't require Java. I'm wondering if you have some sort of third-party extension, such as a privacy extension or a cookie blocking add-on, which does.

#21110 - 03/19/12 05:44 AM Re: Java Runtime and Safari Preferences [Re: tacit]
MarkG Offline

No extensions added. In Safari Preferences I have block cookies from third parties and advertisers checked. (Since the post I have downloaded and installed Java and it has stopped asking do I want Java.) I also thought it was strange that it would require Java.

Moderator:  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb