FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Browser comparison
#20955 03/05/12 09:56 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Would now be the time to put another plug in for Mozilla's Firefox?
It's never crashed on me or done anything weird or sinister which would make me consider switching.
Just a thought.

Edit: This post was originally a reply to Re: Safari Web Content crashes.

Last edited by cyn; 03/05/12 07:09 PM. Reason: Branch moved to separate thread with new subject line.
Re: Browser comparison
grelber #20957 03/05/12 03:01 PM

I have Firefox, Chrome, and Safari installed. Of the three, I dislike Firefox the most.

Even with Safari's problems, it still feels a lot more nimble than Firefox does to me. Pages load faster, especially if they have a lot of JavaScript. There are strange quirks I've observed with Firefox, such as I can't always dismiss some popup items on a Web page (case in point, sometimes when I surf to Google.com I see a little ad for Chrome appear; in Firefox, clicking the X doesn't dismiss it).

More to the point, I love, love, love Safari's DOM inspector, which I frequently use to debug and troubleshoot Web sites, and to decode hostile or malicious sites when I'm tracking down malware. Firefox doesn't have it out of the box. There are several plugins that give an inspector to Firefox, but they aren't as good; believe me, I've tried them all.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #20961 03/05/12 05:11 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Don't be shy. Tell us what you think. wink

For your purposes, which are far more sophisticated than mine (or anything that I'll ever do), Firefox obviously presents downside issues. But for the things I do, it works wonderfully.

On the other hand and to my sensibilities, Safari well and truly sucks. I can't figure it out for the most part, and Pogue's dissertation on it doesn't provide sufficient assistance. But that's just me.

What's your take on Google's Chrome? Or are you, much as I, reluctant to engage given Google's information mining? A number of colleagues seem to like it, but I trust my judgement more than theirs.

grelber #20964 03/05/12 07:01 PM

> [...] Safari well and truly sucks. I can't figure it out for the most part [....]

Is there anything in particular that you'd like clarified?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #20967 03/05/12 08:51 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Is there anything in particular that you'd like clarified?

Nope, I'm fine. I just don't find it as user-friendly as Firefox. But many thanks.

grelber #20978 03/06/12 02:14 PM

I find Chrome to be about on par with Safari (not surprising, since it's built on the same WebKit browser engine that Safari is built on). Apart from testing sites, though, I find I rarely use it.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #20982 03/06/12 04:27 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: tacit
I find Chrome to be about on par with Safari (not surprising, since it's built on the same WebKit browser engine that Safari is built on). Apart from testing sites, though, I find I rarely use it.

Merci.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard