FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Flash Bashing Express
artie505 #20248 01/23/12 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
On the one hand, I think I now know what to do with your script ( wink ), but on the other hand, I have no more than a vague idea what "run without any arg" means,

It means —when we go to execute the script —we only type its name:

cfc

[cfc, or whatever string with which you chose to name the file... and no other text at all.]
i.e., "args" are anything after the command itself [usually options or pathnames]

In this case, any non-whitespace after the command is treated as an argument.

So...

cfc x
cfc -v
cfc FTM
cfc /System/Library/* /mach_kernel
cfc -i been working on the railroad all the live-long day

...any of those (or etc., etc.), will erase flash cookies.

EDIT/ looks like i excluded
-h in order to print out some help text.

(Edit: Does it mean to omit [ . . . ] from the script?)

No... but you (or anyone) is certainly free to edit the script to alter its behavior in that (or any other) regard.
[at which point i take no credit or blame for any consequences]

That aside, though, I accomplish the same thing via Safari Cookies > Flash Cookies.

Safari Cookies clears the flash cache too???
Great.

But what does your script accomplish as respects Flash prefs (apparently) spontaneously reverting to default?

Nothin'.
It doesn't touch adobe's stuff at all (other than displaying mod date, size, etc.)
The deletion only applies to 3rd-party item's (in this case adobe is a 1st or 2nd party).

In conclusion: I use it for listing mostly, to keep track of goings on... only rarely do i desire to wipe out all (3rd-party) junk. So it's mainly a way to observe everything stored in those areas, without fishing around in Finder.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01/23/12 07:22 PM.
Hal Itosis #20262 01/24/12 03:52 AM

another (beta) released on Jan 19th apparently: 11.2.202.183
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer11-2.html

hmmm, might stick with the <cough> stable 11.1.102.55 version for now myself.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01/24/12 03:57 AM.
Hal Itosis #20265 01/24/12 06:57 AM

Thanks for the args clarification. (If I were to want to run your script, could I put it in ~/bin without any further ado [as I suspect is the case], or would it require modification?)

> Safari Cookies clears the flash cache too???

Oops! I overlooked the cache clearing part, but, on the other hand, /Users/artie/Library/Caches/Adobe/Flash Player never seems to be populated. Will you please link me to something that you know for a fact populates that cache so I can check it out?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Hal Itosis #20266 01/24/12 07:40 AM

Using your post as a springboard...

This thread has now merged with my Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Details > Plug-ins??? thread.

This is only one example of four that I've found...

Viewing Simon's Cat in 'Fowl Play' leaves me with a ytimg.com Plug-Ins item in Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Details.

Simultaneously, s.ytimg.com appears in (Safari > Prefs >) Safari Cookies > Flash Cookies.

Further, I find /Users/artie/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#s.ytimg.com/settings.sol.

And, finally, clearing the Flash Cookie with Safari Cookies clears [...]/#s.ytimg.com/settings.sol.

I've got absolutely no idea how I stumbled on this, but I'm beginning to feel like I've swallowed my tail, it's come out the other end, and I'm working on a second swallow. crazy

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #20273 01/24/12 07:50 PM

If I were to want to run your script, could I put it in ~/bin without any further ado [as I suspect is the case], or would it require modification?

Just to make it executable first [via chmod a+x ~/bin/cfc]

Will you please link me to something that you know for a fact populates that cache so I can check it out?

Can't recall any specific site. And —since my script was written a while back —it seems adobe may have changed flash somehow... as i don't often see any cache files anymore (but perhaps my flash prefs have been set to prevent that from happening). ::shrug::

Hal Itosis #20654 02/16/12 06:20 AM

another playa fer ya...
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

for those who may be confused:
11.2.x.x == beta
11.1.x.x == “stable”

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb12-03.html
Quote:
Release date: February 15, 2012
Vulnerability identifier: APSB12-03

This update addresses critical vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.55 and earlier versions.
<snip>
These vulnerabilities could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. This update also resolves a universal cross-site scripting vulnerability that could be used to take actions on a user's behalf on any website or webmail provider, if the user visits a malicious website. There are reports that this vulnerability (CVE-2012-0767) is being exploited in the wild in active targeted attacks designed to trick the user into clicking on a malicious link delivered in an email message (Internet Explorer on Windows only).

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 02/16/12 06:30 AM.
Hal Itosis #20655 02/16/12 09:05 AM

Thanks for that....and here's a "Whew, close one" for you.

I don't keep Flash Player installed as I have found fewer and fewer sites actually require it. However, I keep a download available just in case.

Given the caution you provided I thought I'd check to see which version I have in my download folder. When I single-clicked on it to check, I got the red stop sign and exclamation mark with this ominous message:

"Flashplayer-11-macos.pkg" will damage your computer. You should move it to the Trash.

Safari downloaded this file on January 7, 2012 from h5t.vigvam.in. It contains the "OSX.FlashBack.C" malware.

Needless to say, I moved the file to the trash and subsequently did a Secure Empty Trash. I'm usually careful about downloads and go directly to the publishers' sites but I guess I dropped my guard at least once - perhaps redirected to a realistic looking fake Adobe site. tongue

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded and things back to being good. smile

Last edited by ryck; 02/16/12 09:06 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #20959 03/05/12 04:57 PM

another playa fer ya...
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

as per my previous message:
11.2.x.x == beta
11.1.x.x == “stable”

artie505 #20976 03/06/12 10:04 AM

I'm gonna give myself a canary and post that my Flash prefs have remained intact since Jan 22, when I trashed everything on my deuced Mac(hina) that had "Flash," "Macromedia," or "Adobe" in its path and reinstalled Flash. (Note that "everything" means everything that didn't have /System in its path.)

I've got no idea whether I deleted a conflicting legacy file, whether the issue was corrected by a Flash update, or whether my prefs will revert to default immediately after I hit "Submit," but we'll see.

Hal Itosis #20981 03/06/12 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
another playa fer ya...

Thanks. It's in my Downloads folder, uninstalled but ready if I should need it. I must say there certainly seem to be fewer and fewer occasions that it's needed - in fact, I don't recall the last time.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Hal Itosis #23721 10/08/12 10:00 PM

alternaut moderator
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard