FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
edrive TTP 6
#20820 02/24/12 04:30 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I bought my Son TTP6 and he's having trouble setting up an edrive. He installs TTP6 okay and enters his serial # but when he tries to create an edrive, the word "failed"appears.
He has tried several times but with the same problem. He uses an external drive because of disk extraction issues. imac OS10.5.8
The situation is that he has TTP installed but no edrive.
The only way he can use edrive is with the bootable DVD. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?
jaybass

Last edited by cyn; 02/26/12 10:46 PM. Reason: Topic moved from the "Mac OS X 10.0 - 10.5.x" forum to the "Mac OS X Applications" forum.

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: edrive TTP 6
jaybass #20823 02/24/12 10:20 PM

Make sure the external drive is formatted with a GUID partition map for your Intel-based Macintosh. Disk Utility will show you the type of partition map. Many external drives are formatted for PCs with a Master Boot Record partition map.

Assuming you have a Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume on a device with the correct partition map, check the disk directory of the volume to be split to create the eDrive, using either Disk Utility or the Volume Structures test in TechTool Pro. Also, run the Surface Scan test to check the drive for unremapped bad blocks.

A few people have found that they can create the eDrive after reinstalling TechTool Pro and repairing permissions. Neither step by itself solved the problem.

If you have files on the external drive already, make sure they are backed up before you attempt to create the eDrive.

If the volume on the external drive will not unmount, please try these instructions for using the lsof command:

If you boot your Macintosh from one volume and cannot unmount another volume, it is because the other volume has open files on it. You can use the "lsof" command to find the open files on a volume that does not unmount or eject. To do this, open Terminal (typically located in /Applications/Utilities) and type:

sudo lsof | grep

Leave a space after the "p" in "grep". Then drag the icon of the volume on which you want to locate the open files to the Terminal window. The pathname for the volume is pasted into the window for you. Press the Return key. Then, at the prompt, enter your administrator password and press Return.

Finding unexpected open files is frequently a problem with cloned volumes.

Each line of the output of the lsof command refers to one open file. The name of the process that has the file open is at the start of the line, and the complete pathname of the file is at the end.

Here is part of an earlier thread on this topic. The output of the lsof command in the following example consists of these three lines:

coreservi 68 root 10u VREG 14,32 5632 54 /Volumes/Maxtor_BU09/Desktop DB
coreservi 68 root 11u VREG 14,32 38082 55 /Volumes/Maxtor_BU09/Desktop DF
RetroRun 26448 root 25u VREG 14,32 214780244 11347 /Volumes/Maxtor_BU09/Main Backup/Maxtor_BU09.cat

You can ignore any references to DesktopDB and DesktopDF; the operating system can close them.

In the example above, the process named RetroRun shown on the last line (a process used by the Retrospect backup program) has a file named Maxtor_BU09.cat open on the volume Maxtor_BU09. The file is in a folder named Main Backup. The user quit Retrospect (either in the Finder or by using Activity Monitor, located in /Applications/Utilities) and the volume was then able to be unmounted.

Spotlight indexing can cause files to be open:

Spotlight consists of two processes, according to Bombich Forums moderator Andreas:

mdimport user process

mds root process

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
MicroMatTech3 #20826 02/25/12 01:49 AM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I have sent your answer to my son. Hopefully, he can solve the problem.
I will let you know how it goes...thanks again.
jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #20828 02/25/12 01:58 AM

You are welcome.

I attempted to summarize all of the known causes for failures to create eDrives.

If none of my suggestions works, your son should send an email message to help@micromat.com. He will receive a reply by email on Monday, and may be asked to send in an Apple System Profiler Report.

We have our own forums at www.micromat.com, for future reference. Aside from the fact that I check our forums more frequently, it is possible to upload screen captures there, and a colleague sometimes adds comments to my replies.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
MicroMatTech3 #20958 03/05/12 03:14 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I suggested my son run Disk Warrior to check his directory.
Then he used disk utility to erase 'free space'.
Using Lacie's d2 DVD+-RW optical drive, he installed TTP6 and ran 'computer check'. Everything passed. Then clicked create eDrive, partition preparing,
Finishing, and then failed, this took about 3 minutes or less.
Then uninstalled and reinstalled from the same optical drive, he tried again with the same results. After the word 'failed' appeared, it said to run Volume rebuild which had already been done.
His HD is 297.77 and 68.51 is available. As regards using terminal, he is apprehensive because he has never used it. I told to back up first and if a problem occurs, he can use the partition as the start up disk. Thats as far as it went. Q: Does it matter that he installed TTP from an optical drive?
jaybass.

jaybass #20962 03/05/12 05:19 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Just received an email from my son. He backed up his computer and then used TTP6 to optimize the files and volume. There were (3) files that could not be fixed,
(2) pics and a MP4. He then used terminal as directed and ended up with hundreds of lines of commands which he doesn't understand. He sent me a screen shot but I don't know either. The heading of those commands read Terminal-bash-146x71 He said he will try to set up an edrive again.
jaybass

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard