Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: FREEWARE!
dkmarsh #20715 02/19/12 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Quote:
The above does not give me the impression that Dropbox allows you to link to stored images for, by way of example, FTM posting.

Well, we need to change that impression , then. wink

Thanks... That's not made apparent on either MacUpdate or the Dropbox Web site.

I guess it is a no-contest/brainer, then.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #20717 02/19/12 03:18 AM

Well, you have to dig at least a page deep:

Dropbox - Features
Dropbox - Tour
Dropbox - Help.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #20719 02/19/12 04:01 AM
OP Offline

here's another example of a page using Dropbox for imagery:
http://webpolicy.org/2012/02/17/safari-trackers/

dkmarsh #20720 02/19/12 06:20 AM

Well, you have to dig at least a page deep:

Dropbox - Features
Dropbox - Tour
Dropbox - Help.

Again, thanks.

The page to which MacUpdate links displays an assortment of d/l links, a video (Sorry...I'm a reader, not a watcher.), and a log-in link, but there's nary an info link to be found; I first saw links to "Tour" and "Help Center" after my d/l had begun (a coupl'a minutes ago), and I still haven't found a link to "Features."

A bit obscure, I'd say.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Hal Itosis #20721 02/19/12 06:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
here's another example of a page using Dropbox for imagery:
http://webpolicy.org/2012/02/17/safari-trackers/

dk's link pointed to a page with a Dropbox URL, whereas yours does not...another aspect of the app's functionality that I guess I'll have to pick up on.

dkmarsh #20722 02/19/12 06:41 AM

Quote:
The above does not give me the impression that Dropbox allows you to link to stored images for, by way of example, FTM posting.

Well, we need to change that impression , then. wink

At the cost of both leaving me with a worse impression and compromising Hal's "secure and 'no goblins'" evaluation...

I just noticed that my personal URL (Yeah! I think this most definitely calls for extreme emphasis.) is displayed in your Dropbox hosted image (so I'll very much appreciate your removing the link)!

What else...? frown mad

Edit: By way of comparison, this Image Shack hosted image does not display your URL.

Last edited by artie505; 02/19/12 07:14 AM.

artie505 #20727 02/19/12 10:53 AM

Your personal URL—or what most folks know as an IP address—was captured in my screenshot because every post's IP address is logged by the FTM software and displayed alongside the post to all admins and mods.

This is standard practice for bulletin board systems, aka internet forums, and has nothing whatsoever to do with dropbox. (How could it? It's a screenshot, fer cryin' out loud!)

Nevertheless, my failure to notice that your IP address was included in my screenshot was a careless oversight on my part. I apologize for the error and am on my way to redact it forthwith. Edit: now redacted.

Last edited by dkmarsh; 02/19/12 11:05 AM.

artie505 #20732 02/19/12 04:43 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
dk's link pointed to a page with a Dropbox URL, whereas yours does not...another aspect of the app's functionality that I guess I'll have to pick up on.

Nothing to do with the app or its functionality. I merely linked to a web page whose images are hosted on dropbox.com (just mouse over any graphic there and look at Safari's status bar [at the bottom], to see from whence it comes).

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 02/19/12 04:47 PM.
artie505 #20735 02/19/12 07:41 PM

The page to which MacUpdate links displays an assortment of d/l links, a video (Sorry...I'm a reader, not a watcher.), and a log-in link, but there's nary an info link to be found; I first saw links to "Tour" and "Help Center" after my d/l had begun (a coupl'a minutes ago), and I still haven't found a link to "Features."

A bit obscure, I'd say.

Oh, yes, very obscure: you must scroll down an inch or two to find such a "Features" link. laugh

dkmarsh #20761 02/21/12 11:05 AM

Your personal URL—or what most folks know as an IP address—was captured in my screenshot because every post's IP address is logged by the FTM software and displayed alongside the post to all admins and mods.

This is standard practice for bulletin board systems, aka internet forums, and has nothing whatsoever to do with dropbox. (How could it? It's a screenshot, fer cryin' out loud!)

Nevertheless, my failure to notice that your IP address was included in my screenshot was a careless oversight on my part. I apologize for the error and am on my way to redact it forthwith. Edit: now redacted.

Yeah... Sure... Thanks.

Hal Itosis #20762 02/21/12 11:08 AM

Nothing to do with the app or its functionality. I merely linked to a web page whose images are hosted on dropbox.com (just mouse over any graphic there and look at Safari's status bar [at the bottom], to see from whence it comes).

That wasn't clear to me; thanks.

dkmarsh #20763 02/21/12 11:12 AM

A bit obscure, I'd say.

Oh, yes, very obscure: you must scroll down an inch or two to find such a "Features" link. laugh

shocked Ya got me on that one! blush

artie505 #20780 02/22/12 10:11 AM

An interesting page from Marcel Bresink's Web site.

artie505 #20790 02/22/12 05:04 PM

heh, that link definitely is on the attack against the app store. surprised they didn't say it eats babies or something...

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #20793 02/22/12 05:45 PM

Yeah, it does seem as though someone whizzed in his Wheaties.

I've never had an app approved by Apple--in fact, my most popular app could *never* be approved by Apple--and I still don't understand the vitriol directed at the App Store.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #20798 02/22/12 10:00 PM

> [...] and I still don't understand the vitriol directed at the App Store.

Perhaps somebody's looking to the future as fearfully as I am.

artie505 #20919 02/29/12 08:15 AM

This one's courtesy of Hal...

Originally Posted By: XtraFinder (beta)
XtraFinder brings extra features to Mac Finder, such as:
Arrange folders on top.
Maximize on Zoom.
Automatically arrange items by Name in Icons View.
"Copy Path" menu.
"Show Hidden Items", "Refresh"... actions.
And more to come.

This is a 0.1 beta (OS X 10.6.6 and up) from a new developer, it looks like it's going to be a gem, and I don't expect it to stay free.

At the moment, a "Folders on top" sort only holds for about 10 seconds, so if that's what you're looking for, be warned. ("Show Hidden Items" works in a flash...without quitting Finder.)

Hal Itosis #20951 03/04/12 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Hal
I also like how dropbox.com is using https (secure http), and Ghostery shows no sign of web beacons there (whereas imageshack has a couple). All in all, no one needs both... and the best choice is clear (imo).

I've posted this at Ghostery, and it may deserve its own thread, but please take a gander at this and tell me what you think. (For the benefit of all, _u cookies are placed by Google Analytics, one of the "bugs" I've got Ghostery set to block. ("Blocking all bugs.")

(And while I'm revisiting the subject, I'll mention that unless I've missed something, a major advantage that ImageShackUploader offers over Dropbox is an immediate set of links on my desktop when I upload an image, whereas as far as I can tell, I've got to visit dropbox.com to link to images uploaded there.)

artie505 #20952 03/04/12 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Ghostery
Alexei, an employee of Ghostery, replied to Google Analytics - 1 / Ghostery - 0?, a question about Ghostery.

Safari's blocking mechanism has several problems that result in blocking not being applied properly, which can lead to cookies. These problems have been reported to Apple.

In this particular case, dropbox.com has a custom script that dynamically creates Google Analytics tracking images in a way that Safari's "beforeload"-based interception cannot catch.

I recommend telling Safari to reject all third-party cookies, which should help with the cookie aspect of the issue.

and

Ghostery for Safari is a Safari extension, which means Ghostery depends on facilities that Safari provides to extensions.

Safari's way of intercepting and blocking requests for extensions (the "beforeload" listener coupled with a "canLoad" tester function) has several known deficiencies, this being one of them.

Until Apple provides better blocking facilities, Ghostery for Safari will remain limited in several ways.

artie505 #20953 03/05/12 12:39 AM

Quote:
...unless I've missed something, a major advantage that ImageShackUploader offers over Dropbox is an immediate set of links on my desktop when I upload an image...

Don't know if I'd call that a major advantage, but in any case, to view Dropbox as a mere image-hosting service is to overlook most of its functionality. Recall the manner in which Hal introduced Dropbox into the thread:

Anyway, reading that post made me realize that we haven't included Dropbox here (great for images and much much much much more)...

That much much much much more includes 2 GB of free storage, the ability to share all kinds of files (not just images), the ability to access files from multiple devices/platforms, the ability to sync files transparently between devices, and the ability to back up selected items from your local device to "the cloud" transparently (i.e. by simply choosing in advance what folders you want to keep backed up).

Basically, it's like a modern version of the iDisk, except it works, and it costs $99 less than Mac.com/me.com.

(Note: I don't imagine you have the slightest interest in storing your data on someone else's servers, which sentiment I fully understand, but since many Mac users have a different approach to such things, it's worth making the distinction between the ImageShack one-trick pony and the Dropbox circus.)

artie505 #20960 03/05/12 05:03 PM
OP Offline

And while I'm revisiting the subject, I'll mention that unless I've missed something, a major advantage that ImageShackUploader offers over Dropbox is an immediate set of links on my desktop when I upload an image, whereas as far as I can tell, I've got to visit dropbox.com to link to images uploaded there.

You've missed something: the contextual-menu will give us a link right in Finder. I never visit dropbox.com for anything (anymore).

With regards to the cookie situation, thanks for the great sleuthing. As mentioned however, visiting dropbox.com directly is virtually unnecessary.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 03/05/12 05:12 PM.
dkmarsh #20972 03/06/12 07:47 AM

Quote:
...unless I've missed something, a major advantage that ImageShackUploader offers over Dropbox is an immediate set of links on my desktop when I upload an image...

Don't know if I'd call that a major advantage, but in any case, to view Dropbox as a mere image-hosting service is to overlook most of its functionality. Recall the manner in which Hal introduced Dropbox into the thread:

Anyway, reading that post made me realize that we haven't included Dropbox here (great for images and much much much much more)...

That much much much much more includes 2 GB of free storage, the ability to share all kinds of files (not just images), the ability to access files from multiple devices/platforms, the ability to sync files transparently between devices, and the ability to back up selected items from your local device to "the cloud" transparently (i.e. by simply choosing in advance what folders you want to keep backed up).

Basically, it's like a modern version of the iDisk, except it works, and it costs $99 less than Mac.com/me.com.

(Note: I don't imagine you have the slightest interest in storing your data on someone else's servers, which sentiment I fully understand, but since many Mac users have a different approach to such things, it's worth making the distinction between the ImageShack one-trick pony and the Dropbox circus.)

Thanks for all that, but it's not only old hat, it's got absolutely zero bearing on my purely subjective observation about a single aspect of Dropbox's functionality.

Hal Itosis #20973 03/06/12 08:27 AM

And while I'm revisiting the subject, I'll mention that unless I've missed something, a major advantage that ImageShackUploader offers over Dropbox is an immediate set of links on my desktop when I upload an image, whereas as far as I can tell, I've got to visit dropbox.com to link to images uploaded there.

You've missed something: the contextual-menu will give us a link right in Finder. I never visit dropbox.com for anything (anymore).

With regards to the cookie situation, thanks for the great sleuthing. As mentioned however, visiting dropbox.com directly is virtually unnecessary.

And therein lies the rub...

Per /Users/artie/Dropbox/Public/How to use the Public folder.txt:

Quote:
The Public folder lets you easily share single files in your Dropbox. Any file you put in this folder gets its own Internet link that you can share with others -- even non-Dropbox users!

Step 1: Drop a file into the Public folder.

Step 2: Right-click this file, then choose Dropbox > Copy Public Link. This copies an Internet link to your file that you can paste anywhere: emails, instant messages, blogs, etc.

But this is what a right-click generates. (I only get the "Copy public link" option at dropbox.com, thereby my "Unless....")

I keep Dropbox in a non-standard location, but even moving it to /Apps or /Apps/Utils doesn't change anything.

Is what I'm doing incorrectly apparent to you?

And as for the cookie situation... You ain't seen nothin' yet! (My long-awaited and eagerly anticipated tongue thread is close to publication.)

artie505 #20977 03/06/12 12:51 PM

Quote:
...absolutely zero bearing on my purely subjective observation about a single aspect of Dropbox's functionality.

Of course, your purely subjective observation about a single aspect of an app with much wider functionality—in a thread whose purpose is to provide a list of useful applications (hence the title "FREEWARE!," not "artie's subjective analysis of a single aspect of a particular piece of FREEWARE!")—on a forum site whose overall purpose is surely as much to provide a resource to the rest of the Mac world as it is to provide an outlet for your every nuanced thought—doesn't have a much bearing on my post, which post simply sought to remind the readership at large that Dropbox was added to this thread not because of its dubious usefulness as a means for you to post screenshots with the minimum possible effort, but because it's a useful piece of freeware.

Really, this entire discussion, as is so often the case when you're involved, belongs elsewhere.

[Off-topic comment about use of the Quote feature removed in favor of a thread in FineTunedMac Feedback.]

Last edited by dkmarsh; 03/07/12 02:49 AM.

artie505 #20985 03/06/12 05:11 PM
OP Offline

Is what I'm doing incorrectly apparent to you?

No... but it probably is to you.

Was the Dropbox app up and running (and was your Mac connected to the Internet) when you took that screenshot???

Right below "Open With..." should be a Dropbox submenu.

Try reinstalling, and don't move any Dropbox items to non-standard locations.

[ how did "FREEWARE!" evolve into a troubleshooting thread? ]

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard