FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Re-Journal? Re-Index?
ryck #20881 02/28/12 06:10 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck
drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 18 Dec 2009 /Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Entourage.mdimporter
drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 21 Jan 2009 /Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter

Didn't see anything out of the ordinary with your other output. I do observe there that two Microsoft importers exist... but i really have no idea if that's 'right' or 'wrong' (or acceptable or exceptional or what). Perhaps the Entourage import features are also covered by the Office importer. Perhaps that wouldn't matter anyway. (dunno)

Somehow, your problem probably runs deeper. Sorry to keep tossing terminal commands at you, but i'm hoping to see if anything unusual sticks out...

mdutil -s -a

^ to see what Spotlight considers the indexing status of all mounted volumes to be.

And...

ps axcu |sed '1p;/ md/!d'

^ to see which metadata processes are up and running.

ganbustein #20882 02/28/12 10:48 AM

Quote:
You cannot disable journaling on the boot volume or on your Time Machine volume. That's why the button would be disabled for such volumes.

[Standard "I'm running OS X 10.5.8" caveat applies to this response.]

I can disable journaling on the boot volume by option-clicking the File menu, as Jon suggests above:

Code:
2/28/12 6:23:36 AM Disk Utility[2015] Disabling Journaling for volume “Esoteric_Disk”

Once journaling is disabled, the button becomes enabled as expected. (In Leopard, anyway, the button doesn't seem to toggle between the two actions, even for non-boot volumes, despite the fact that delving into Disk Utility's package contents reveals

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/Frameworks/DUSupport.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DisableJournal.tiff

as well as EnableJournal.tiff. )

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #20883 02/28/12 11:01 AM

> I can disable journaling on the boot volume by option-clicking the File menu, as Jon suggests above:

I'm offered the option to disable journaling on all volumes, bootable or not, in 10.6.8.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #20884 02/28/12 11:04 AM

Yes, me too.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Hal Itosis #20886 02/28/12 11:32 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
I do observe there that two Microsoft importers exist... but i really have no idea if that's 'right' or 'wrong' (or acceptable or exceptional or what). Perhaps the Entourage import features are also covered by the Office importer. Perhaps that wouldn't matter anyway.

I don't know if this is useful information or not.....but I don't use Entourage and don't even have it installed on my machine. The installation of the importer would have been a Microsoft decision, not mine.

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Somehow, your problem probably runs deeper. Sorry to keep tossing terminal commands at you, but i'm hoping to see if anything unusual sticks out...

No problem at all. It only takes a moment and I'm glad to do it. Here are the current results:

I entered:

mdutil -s -a

and got:

/Volumes/Time Machine:
Indexing enabled.
/:
Indexing enabled.
/Volumes/Time Machine/Backups.backupdb:
Indexing enabled.
firstname-lastnames-imac:~ myname$

I entered:

ps axcu |sed '1p;/ md/!d'

and got:

firstname-lastnames-imac:~ myname$ ps axcu |sed '1p;/ md/!d'
USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TT STAT STARTED TIME COMMAND
myname 671 0.0 0.8 2475488 16104 ?? SNs 4:01am 0:00.35 mdworker
root 28 0.0 6.2 3360504 130496 ?? Ss 9:45pm 0:05.85 mds
firstname-lastnames-imac:~ myname$

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
dkmarsh #20890 02/28/12 12:04 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
1. In Finder, type Command-F. A Finder search window opens. Enter your search term(s).

2. Click the plus sign at the right side of the window to add another search condition.

3. Click on Kind, and choose Other… from the pop-up menu. A sheet descends with a long alphabetical list of attributes.

4. Scroll down to System files and select it.

Thank you. I have got this far and found that the long list already has a default of 8 items checked off, one of which is "System Files".

It's not a bad idea to check the In Menu checkbox while you're at it; this will save having to invoke the Other… sheet in any future case that you want to include System files in your search.

"In Menu" is not available to me as a checkbox, and there is no checkbox with "Menu" in the name. The only reference to "In Menu" is one of the sort functions at the top of the window.

You can also find mailboxes without including System files by selecting File Extension as the attribute and typing mbox in the text box, or by navigating to ~/Library and searching for the mailbox by name.

Thank you for that and I will store it away. However, looking for a mail folder using a search function is not something I'd do often and, in this case, my concern is that an attempt to do so seems to have uncovered a problem with Spotlight in other kinds of searches.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #20891 02/28/12 12:11 PM

I do not like Spotlight.

I have several external USB hard drives, all of them formatted Mac OS Extended and GUID. On one of those external hard drives, Spotlight has NEVER been able to reliably find files by name or by content. Sometimes, files which are sitting right there in an open Finder window do not show up in a Spotlight search and I have never been able to figure out why.

I have tried everything. I've used Spotlight's privacy setting to stop and then redo indexing of the drive. I have used the Terminal to manually delete the Spotlight index files. I've verified the disk with Disk Utility. I've tried it with Preserve Permissions both on and off. Absolutely nothing I have tried has made Spotlight work reliably on that disk, and I have never seen or heard a plausible explanation of why.

I have EasyFind, and the *only* thing I use it for is searching that particular drive.

I'm not a fan of EasyFind. I find its user interface to be muddled and poorly designed, and I often end up frustrated when I search for files by content that it will grind and grind and produce no results, and then I'll look and see that I had some setting wrong--usually, I haven't clicked on Advanced and specified the file extensions for the files I want to search. (By default, it will not search by content in Word files. You have to manually add .doc and .docx in order to make it do so.)

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #20899 02/28/12 03:35 PM

> (By default, it will not search by content in Word files. You have to manually add .doc and .docx in order to make it do so.)

Thanks for that... I added xls to EasyFind's search settings, and it found my Excel spreadsheets.

(Also, I noticed that "mbox" files are optional...their "selection" box needs to be checked.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ryck #20901 02/28/12 04:37 PM

1. In Finder, type Command-F. A Finder search window opens. Enter your search term(s).

2. Click the plus sign at the right side of the window to add another search condition.

3. Click on Kind, and choose Other… from the pop-up menu. A sheet descends with a long alphabetical list of attributes.

4. Scroll down to System files and select it.

Thank you. I have got this far and found that the long list already has a default of 8 items checked off, one of which is "System Files".

It's not a bad idea to check the In Menu checkbox while you're at it; this will save having to invoke the Other… sheet in any future case that you want to include System files in your search.

"In Menu" is not available to me as a checkbox, and there is no checkbox with "Menu" in the name. The only reference to "In Menu" is one of the sort functions at the top of the window.

It seems to me that you already have 8 items including 'System files' in the 'Kind' pulldown menu. There are two ways to select such search attributes from the 'Other' popup window in the Searching "This Mac" window. One is to select/highlight an entire item line by clicking on it, the other by checking the box behind it. This box is located in the 3rd column headed 'In Menu', which doesn't just serve a sort function. As you yourself said in your post (marked in red above), there are already 8 items checked off. laugh

alternaut moderator
Kevin M. Dean #20902 02/28/12 04:41 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Kevin M. Dean
I think you would need to upgrade to Lion where you can search within mail for Mailbox names (including Folders). Double-check by using the search field in your version of Mail to see if it shows a result when you search for a Mail folder.

Even under Lion, the Mail folders don't show under spotlight... only in Mail itself.

Upgrade to Lion is not in the cards for me as I require Rosetta. However, as suggested I have now double-checked the Find functions in Mail and found a curious (to me) anomaly.

Mail (V4.5) has two search functions - the standard one in the Menu Bar that all applications have (within Help) and another that can be placed in the Tool Bar.

A search using the Tool Bar help will generate mail documents that contain the key word(s) but not the Mailbox. However, the mailbox can be located by clicking on "Show In Mailbox".

The Search function, within Help on the Menu Bar, is quite different. The key word(s) not only locate the Mailbox but also have a floating blue arrow pointing to it.

I wonder why the Mail-specific search function wouldn't also be structured to find Mailboxes, if someone has written the code anyway for the Help search function....unless that's what you mean Lion does.

As was mentioned if the word importer is not installed properly that would affect the ability to search by content of word files.

That would be beyond my ability to ascertain....and may be the reason Jon has suggested a system reinstall may be in order.

Also make sure spotlight is not blocked form the folders where the documents are stored via the system preferences.

It isn't. All boxes are checked and the only changes I've made there is in the order of the search items.

Last edited by ryck; 02/28/12 04:42 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #20904 02/28/12 06:56 PM

Mail (V4.5) has two search functions - the standard one in the Menu Bar that all applications have (within Help) and another that can be placed in the Tool Bar.

A search using the Tool Bar help will generate mail documents that contain the key word(s) but not the Mailbox. However, the mailbox can be located by clicking on "Show In Mailbox".

The Search function, within Help on the Menu Bar, is quite different. The key word(s) not only locate the Mailbox but also have a floating blue arrow pointing to it.

I wonder why the Mail-specific search function wouldn't also be structured to find Mailboxes, if someone has written the code anyway for the Help search function....unless that's what you mean Lion does.

The Toolbar search is not a Help search, however yes this is where you can search for mailboxes in Lion as well as the usual email contents although it only refines your search instead of revealing it's location.

The reason the Help menu search finds it is because your mailboxes are shown in the menus under Message -> Move to and Message -> Copy to

The floating blue arrow is an standard indicator when you search help for an existing menu item.

So, if you just want to move or a copy an email to the folder, then perhaps the help search would be your best option.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
ryck #20905 02/28/12 07:34 PM

Did you see tacit's post regarding Word docs and my response, in which I noted that EasyFind now finds my Excel spreadsheets and that if you click on "Settings" in EF's menu bar you'll see a box to check that will get it to find your .mbox files?

artie505 #20907 02/28/12 08:25 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Did you see tacit's post regarding Word docs and my response, in which I noted that EasyFind now finds my Excel spreadsheets...

Yes, I did and thanks to both of you.

Now, I remain wondering why Spotlight isn't doing the kind of searches it once did (i.e. it no longer finds Word documents from text in the documents) and if Kevin's thought "....if the word importer is not installed properly that would affect the ability to search by content of word files..." means I need to do something like a system re-install, as Jon recommended.

How's that for a run-on sentence?

A full re-install is not something I'm anxious to do, in case something goes terribly awry. However, if something's not working right...

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #20908 02/28/12 08:35 PM

> A full re-install is not something I'm anxious to do, in case something goes terribly awry. However, if something's not working right...

I've got no idea whether you need to re-install or not, but as long as you're fully backed up, nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong. grin

Seriously, though: As long as you're fully backed up, a re-install, if necessary, should be painless.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard