for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
WDS-capable routers?
#20837 02/25/12 10:05 PM
OP Offline

Now my Linksys WRT300N WiFi router appears to have died, looking into WDS-enabling firmware for it has become moot.

The new question is: which WDS-enabled* WiFi (N) routers other than Airport Extreme can you FTM readers recommend?
Conversely, which considerations(s) would argue against using non-AE WDS routers in conjunction with AEs?

*) WDS (Wireless Distribution System) capable routers may use Airport Extreme or Express units to extend their network.

alternaut moderator
Re: WDS-capable routers?
alternaut #20912 02/28/12 10:27 PM

While slightly OT, I'd like to point out that of the five routers I tried, the airport extreme was the only one of the bunch I didn't manage to crash every few days. I'm hard on networks here.

It's also the ONLY one that lets you "back up" its settings, to an XML file, that you can effortlessly tweak in ways far beyond those found in the airport utility.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #20915 02/28/12 10:38 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, V1. I'm currently using an 'ethernetted' Express in bridge mode with an old Linksys BEFSR41, so there is WiFi in the house, but the coverage could be better. That's why I'm still looking for a replacement WiFi router that can be extended with the AE. I'm not exactly 'dead set' against using an Extreme, but I'd like to hear about alternatives. Regardless, your view is much appreciated, thanks again!

alternaut moderator
alternaut #20921 02/29/12 04:26 PM

I will also say that WDS is a cranky little beaste. I've dealt with more setups that HAD problems than that did NOT. Some would work for days to months and then unpair for no obvious reason. Some took many attempts to pair. Some NEVER would pair. I hate working on WDS because of how fickle it can be.

Every halloween I try to get my express to stream spooky music to speakers outside. Some years it works, some not. Complete crapshoot.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
alternaut #20931 02/29/12 11:38 PM

Are you locked into using Airport Extreme or Express to extend the network (i.e., already own them)?

If not, Netgear routers have their own brand of extending units. This could also mean that their brand is more generally WDS-capable, but I have not tried them with AE. In general, I have found their routers very durable, very good signal strength and the new ones are quite easy to set up.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #20932 03/01/12 02:27 AM
OP Offline

Thanks, Ira. Yes, I have currently one working Airport Express that I used to extend a Linksys WRT300N network with. That is, I thought the AE was extending the network, but it turned out that it didn't; it only connected an attached printer to the network, but wasn't available as an access point itself. See this post for more details.

I since learned that networks of 3rd party WDS capable routers can in fact be extended with (WDS based) Airport Extreme and Express units, even though Apple doesn't support this. Hence my interest in WDS capable router alternatives.

alternaut moderator

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard