FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iGoogle – How to disable?
#20808 02/23/12 12:16 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

I long since thought I had dumped/disabled iGoogle (aka Google Instant) as a search engine, but apparently it's now a default, although not announced as such.
Consequently all my previously selected Google Search Settings have been disabled (eg, number of items shown per page is restricted to 10, with no choice to increase).
(Aside: This seems to have happened in the same time frame as my having eliminated Web History from all my Google accounts. Coincidence?)
I can find no way to eliminate the problem.
Any helpful hints?

Last edited by cyn; 02/26/12 10:50 PM. Reason: Topic moved from the Lounge to the Networking forum.
Re: iGoogle – How to disable?
grelber #20809 02/23/12 04:22 PM

It appears that you now have to do a search in order to access Google preferences—when the search results appear, so does the gear-badged "Options" button, the clicking of which gives you a menu which includes a Preferences link.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #20810 02/23/12 04:51 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Merci. I figured that out previously.
But not to put too fine a point on it, I'm [choose one (or more)]:
(a) stupid
(b) oblivious
(c) unobservant
Three times I read the Search Settings page and missed the line/choice which reads "Never use Instant results" under Google Instant Predictions.
As soon as I realized that, I changed my preference, and all reverted to the way I wanted it. (Of course, that doesn't answer why my settings were changed somewhere along the line by Google.)

grelber #20811 02/23/12 06:40 PM

I've long since given up trying to understand why Google settings change. It appears to be related to the season, the tides, the phase of the moon, the amount of time that's passed since the last Clint Eastwood movie was shown on network television, the price of wheat futures on the commodities market, the total net worth of Paris Hilton, or some combination of all of the above.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
grelber #20831 02/25/12 01:29 PM

I have found that when I clean out my cookies, all settings for igoogle are lost

MarkG #20832 02/25/12 01:44 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

That's probably it, since I frequently dump all my Google cookies and start fresh.
However, I thought the Search Settings were set in the account on Google's server(s), much as Gmail settings are (and which don't revert to default when I kill their cookies). {sigh}

grelber #20833 02/25/12 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
That's probably it, since I frequently dump all my Google cookies and start fresh.
However, I thought the Search Settings were set in the account on Google's server(s), much as Gmail settings are (and which don't revert to default when I kill their cookies). {sigh}

You can't see individual cookies in Safari's "Privacy" pane, but you can with a cookie manager such as Safari Cookies, which I use.

When I clear my Google cookies I get rid of all of them other than the one named "PREF," which stores my search prefs.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
dkmarsh #20834 02/25/12 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

It appears that you now have to do a search in order to access Google preferences—when the search results appear, so does the gear-badged "Options" button, the clicking of which gives you a menu which includes a Preferences link.

I get that "Options" whatchamacallit at google.com as well as on search pages.

I just noticed that search pages now display my "SafeSearch" setting, i.e. "off."

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard