Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Safari captured by..?
#20161 01/20/12 02:20 AM
Kate Offline OP
OP Offline

MacBook v10.6.8 > Safari v5.1.2

I normally use Camino, but today went to Safari v5.1.2 to access a site that does not work on Camino, but is one I access regularly. This was the first time I had opened Safari after recently updating it to v5.1.2

After only a a few seconds this screen popped up:

www.prizegiveaway.org/winner/?sid=xt-1&subid=170827

and I was not able to get rid of it, it captured Safari making it unresponsive to any command.

I reset and shut down Safari, went to Home>Library> Safari > emptied Local Storage> deleted History and Last Sessions plists. Emptied the TRASH and restarted my computer but, so far, am not game to restart Safari in case someone here recommends other moves first.
I am currently back to using only Camino.

I found one reference to what seems to be a similar problem:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3217174?start=0&tstart=0
though it is related to Lion, not my Snow Leopard OS, and I hesitate to follow suggestions in care they do not apply.

Advice will be appreciated
Kate
Adit: I forgot to add: I also went to Sys Prefs > Flash Player> Storage > deleted all.

Last edited by Kate; 01/20/12 03:05 AM.
Re: Safari captured by..?
Kate #20162 01/20/12 05:33 AM

This is not malware. The box you see has an OK button because it is a JavaScript alert box. Clicking the OK button will not harm you. Until you click OK, however, you can't do anything else.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #20297 01/25/12 10:31 PM
Kate Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for your reply, I am sorry to be so slow in responding but I have had cable problems that slowed me down.

I have all but forgotten exactly what happened when the new screen popped up on Safari but know that there was nothing I could do to regain control, other than Force Quit.

All I could see were offers I didn't want, requests for information I had no intention of giving and no way of getting past that screen.

Not knowing the outcome, clicking OK was the last thing I was prepared to do but, if there is a next time I will reconsider.
Regards,
Kate

Kate #20298 01/25/12 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Kate
Thank you for your reply, I am sorry to be so slow in responding but I have had cable problems that slowed me down.

I have all but forgotten exactly what happened when the new screen popped up on Safari but know that there was nothing I could do to regain control, other than Force Quit.

All I could see were offers I didn't want, requests for information I had no intention of giving and no way of getting past that screen.

Not knowing the outcome, clicking OK was the last thing I was prepared to do but, if there is a next time I will reconsider.
Regards,
Kate

Thanks for the update, Kate.

If it happens again, see if there's a URL or any other piece of possibly useful info that you can post.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
tacit #20349 01/26/12 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
This is not malware. The box you see has an OK button because it is a JavaScript alert box. Clicking the OK button will not harm you. Until you click OK, however, you can't do anything else.

Clicking buttons in javascript-controlled windows bypasses a good deal of protective measures in the java sandbox. The sandbox loosens up quite a bit once it sees user interaction with the stuff in the window. Best to get rid of it by other means if possible. A lot of malware on Windows opens a box that has an OK and Cancel button in it when in reality the entire window is an "install" button and clicking anywhere in it (including on the authentic looking "X" button up in the corner) will allow an installation to proceed.

Tho what really irks me is all the popups I see nowaways always get a "second chance plea" box popping up when I try to close the first one. That CancelClose catch is soooooo abused.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #20408 01/29/12 08:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Clicking buttons in javascript-controlled windows bypasses a good deal of protective measures in the java sandbox.

Java and JavaScript are not related to each other. JavaScript was invented by Netscape; Java was invented by Sun Microsystems. Java is sandboxed; JavaScript isn't.

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
The sandbox loosens up quite a bit once it sees user interaction with the stuff in the window. Best to get rid of it by other means if possible. A lot of malware on Windows opens a box that has an OK and Cancel button in it when in reality the entire window is an "install" button and clicking anywhere in it (including on the authentic looking "X" button up in the corner) will allow an installation to proceed.

Tho what really irks me is all the popups I see nowaways always get a "second chance plea" box popping up when I try to close the first one. That CancelClose catch is soooooo abused.

On Windows, the popups are not alert boxes; they are true browser windows which contain a picture of an alert box.

The window that pops up on the sites like the one the original poster is an alert window created by the JavaScript alert() function. It has only an OK button; clicking on it doesn't pass any information back to the JavaScript. To see an example of the window, create an empty HTML file and put

<script type="text/javascript">
alert("Hello! This is a JavaScript alert window.")
</script>

after the <body> tag. That's the window that these sites use.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard