An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#20378 - 01/27/12 09:38 AM Garmin PlugIn Not Found
Pendragon Offline

Loc: Georgetown, Texas, USA
I recently received a Garmin Nuvi 2460 GPS, and it works as designed.

A few days ago, I installed the Garmin Communicator Plugin v4.0.1. When I did so, I got the confirmation notice that the plugin installation was successful.

But when trying to access MyDashboard, via the Garmin website, I get an alert: “PluginNotInstalledException”. Yet, I have verified that the Garmin v4.0.1 plugin is in fact resident in my Library/Internet PlugIns folder.

So I called Garmin, and they did give it a valiant two-hour effort, reinstalls, trying FF and Chrome, etc., but still no joy. It was quite clear that their Mac expertise is seriously lacking. The call concluded with their suggesting I wait for the next plugin version.

Something, me thinks, is precluding the plugin from launching/running, but I do not know where to look (logs?) even if such analysis is possible.

How do I get this plugin to work as designed?
All suggestions most welcome.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

#20383 - 01/27/12 10:52 AM Re: Garmin PlugIn Not Found [Re: Pendragon]
Hal Itosis Offline

Loc: 10.6.8 (build 10K549)
hard to know exactly where to jump in.
did you use Activity Monitor to search for any sign of procs with a relevant name (presumably containing 'garmin' somewhere therein)?

Can you open that plugin's installer (either with Installer.app or Pacifist) and give us some idea of what it installed and where? [with Installer.app we can use command-i to (hopefully) see the items... but perhaps Pacifist is better. Else, give me a path to that package and we can try terminal (either lsbom or xar).]

PS: since i don't have that Garmin goober myself, i'm just winging it here. smile ]

#20392 - 01/28/12 03:19 AM Re: Garmin PlugIn Not Found [Re: Hal Itosis]
Pendragon Offline

Hal,

I did the Activity Monitor search as you suggested. Nothing there of note.

I Control+Clicked the installer and what was revealed was not very telling, at least to me:
The Contents had 3 subordinate items:
1. distribution.dist (looks like a package but with no pkg suffix)
2. Packages. This contained:
• garmingpscontrol-1.pkg
• garmingpscontol.pkg
3. Resources. This contained what I believe to be 25 different languages (each has a Background, License, and Welcome)

Re proving a path to the package, alas, I don’t know how to do that, e.g., run lsbom, and sadly, I’m confused (but appreciative for your help).

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

#20394 - 01/28/12 07:20 AM Re: Garmin PlugIn Not Found [Re: Pendragon]
Hal Itosis Offline

Loc: 10.6.8 (build 10K549)
okay, i downloaded the installer from http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

seems to install a plugin containing a bunch of .xsd files.

sorry, i know not how such stuff is supposed to work.

#20395 - 01/28/12 08:03 AM Re: Garmin PlugIn Not Found [Re: Hal Itosis]
Pendragon Offline

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis

sorry, i know not how such stuff is supposed to work.

And, apparently, neither does Garmin.

And, and, thanks again for your time and effort!

#20396 - 01/28/12 09:22 AM Re: Garmin PlugIn Not Found [Re: Pendragon]
alternaut Offline

You seem to have quite some company. Have you looked into this?

#20398 - 01/28/12 11:06 AM Re: Garmin PlugIn Not Found [Re: alternaut]
Pendragon Offline

I just happened upon that. Perhaps some comfort that I am not alone, but 'twould be better were issue never occurred.

Fortunate I am, that I have no operational need of that plugin-just getting ready in case the need/want should arise.

Indeed I think highly of the GPS device, but remain firm in the belief that Garmin still lacks Apple/developer expertise (but would love to be proven wrong about that).

Moderator:  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac