for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Garmin PlugIn Not Found
#20378 01/27/12 05:38 PM
OP Offline

I recently received a Garmin Nuvi 2460 GPS, and it works as designed.

A few days ago, I installed the Garmin Communicator Plugin v4.0.1. When I did so, I got the confirmation notice that the plugin installation was successful.

But when trying to access MyDashboard, via the Garmin website, I get an alert: “PluginNotInstalledException”. Yet, I have verified that the Garmin v4.0.1 plugin is in fact resident in my Library/Internet PlugIns folder.

So I called Garmin, and they did give it a valiant two-hour effort, reinstalls, trying FF and Chrome, etc., but still no joy. It was quite clear that their Mac expertise is seriously lacking. The call concluded with their suggesting I wait for the next plugin version.

Something, me thinks, is precluding the plugin from launching/running, but I do not know where to look (logs?) even if such analysis is possible.

How do I get this plugin to work as designed?
All suggestions most welcome.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Garmin PlugIn Not Found
Pendragon #20383 01/27/12 06:52 PM

hard to know exactly where to jump in.
did you use Activity Monitor to search for any sign of procs with a relevant name (presumably containing 'garmin' somewhere therein)?

Can you open that plugin's installer (either with Installer.app or Pacifist) and give us some idea of what it installed and where? [with Installer.app we can use command-i to (hopefully) see the items... but perhaps Pacifist is better. Else, give me a path to that package and we can try terminal (either lsbom or xar).]

PS: since i don't have that Garmin goober myself, i'm just winging it here. smile ]

Hal Itosis #20392 01/28/12 11:19 AM
OP Offline

Hal,

I did the Activity Monitor search as you suggested. Nothing there of note.

I Control+Clicked the installer and what was revealed was not very telling, at least to me:
The Contents had 3 subordinate items:
1. distribution.dist (looks like a package but with no pkg suffix)
2. Packages. This contained:
• garmingpscontrol-1.pkg
• garmingpscontol.pkg
3. Resources. This contained what I believe to be 25 different languages (each has a Background, License, and Welcome)

Re proving a path to the package, alas, I don’t know how to do that, e.g., run lsbom, and sadly, I’m confused (but appreciative for your help).

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #20394 01/28/12 03:20 PM

okay, i downloaded the installer from http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

seems to install a plugin containing a bunch of .xsd files.

sorry, i know not how such stuff is supposed to work.

Hal Itosis #20395 01/28/12 04:03 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis

sorry, i know not how such stuff is supposed to work.

And, apparently, neither does Garmin.

And, and, thanks again for your time and effort!

Harv

Pendragon #20396 01/28/12 05:22 PM

You seem to have quite some company. Have you looked into this?

alternaut moderator
alternaut #20398 01/28/12 07:06 PM
OP Offline

I just happened upon that. Perhaps some comfort that I am not alone, but 'twould be better were issue never occurred.

Fortunate I am, that I have no operational need of that plugin-just getting ready in case the need/want should arise.

Indeed I think highly of the GPS device, but remain firm in the belief that Garmin still lacks Apple/developer expertise (but would love to be proven wrong about that).

Harv

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard