Next Thread
Print Thread
The disk copy was changed since you last opened it
#20187 01/21/12 03:20 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I get this message in Photoshop CS5.
Adobe actually blames it on the Mac OS.
It occurs shortly after editing an image and then trying to do a save.

Anybody familiar with it? or an an opinion on it? thanks.

Re: The disk copy was changed since you last opened it
kevs #20189 01/21/12 03:26 AM

I've seen this message repeatedly in CS5. I have no idea what causes it, except to say that when I see it, careful examination of the files and dates shows that the disk copy has not, in fact, been changed.

It appears to be harmless, and telling CS5 to go ahead and save the file anyway succeeds.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #20190 01/21/12 03:31 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Tacit, yes its an easily dismissed nuisance, but the engineers on the forums there swear it's not the fault of Photoshop, but the Mac OS changing or "touching" the file. I think they claim it does not happen in windows.... I can send you a recent thread. or you can search their forums.

kevs #20210 01/22/12 12:33 AM

OS X may indeed touch the file (for example, it may read the file's name and add the file to the Spotlight index), but that doesn't actually change the file.

I am skeptical of Adobe's claims, since earlier versions of Photoshop don't have this problem. There are actually several different dates and times stored with a file on OS X: the date and time the file was created, the date and time the file was modified on disk, and the date and time the file was last accessed. I think, based on what I've observed, that in the past, Photoshop looked at the date and time the file was modified, which is what it should do; it appears that CS5 looks at the date and time the file was accessed, which is the wrong thing to do (as the file may be accessed by, for example, indexing it or placing it in another program--but that does not actually modify it).

tacit #20213 01/22/12 01:46 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I believe you Tacit, but how do you explain these heated testy exchanges on the Adobe Photoshop forum with one of their key engineers claiming it's not Adobe. Perhaps you can make a post, send me the link!

kevs #20215 01/22/12 08:12 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
.... but how do you explain these heated testy exchanges on the Adobe Photoshop forum with one of their key engineers claiming it's not Adobe.

Why bother? They're never likely to stop claiming: "It's not us!". Let's face it, to paraphrase an old adage, "You can lead a horse's ass to the truth, but you can't make him think."

Why not just provide a link to this thread? At least then the users who 'get it' will be relieved to learn there's nothing to be concerned about.

Last edited by ryck; 01/22/12 08:15 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #20224 01/22/12 03:02 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Ryck/ Tacit.
I would love to have Tacit go on and say the truth...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/951518

(mention you are an os expert...)

kevs #20225 01/22/12 03:10 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

on this thread, Chris, is actually a top level PS engineer. He invented channel mixer. Still I think you guys are correct. There is a previous thread too if you search which is much longer and more vituperative.

kevs #20232 01/22/12 10:11 PM

Chris is an Adobe engineer. He's also a person with a history of being abrasive and of refusing to admit he's made a mistake; he used to be a regular poster on the Usenet newsgroup comp.graphics.apps.photoshop, even before he worked for Adobe. It surprises me not one bit that he would maintain in the face of any evidence whatsoever that the problem was not with Adobe.

You're welcome to post a link to this thread on the Adobe forum, though I doubt it will do much good.

tacit #20239 01/23/12 01:57 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok Tacit, not a bad idea.

kevs #20240 01/23/12 02:12 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok, I posted an excerpt, and one guy does point out that this is a Mac issue with CS5 (not windows), so then I guess one could say PS has a bug with Mac?

kevs #20244 01/23/12 06:56 AM

Windows handles file access dates differently, so it's not surprising this might be a platform-specific thing. It still seems to me that CS5 is looking at the accessed date rather than the modified date, which isn't the right behavior no matter how you slice it.

tacit #20247 01/23/12 03:32 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Chris, replies,

"Nope, we're looking at the file modification date, not "last accessed""

-----

kevs #20267 01/24/12 09:53 AM

When I have observed this problem happening, I've looked at the modification date of the file Photoshop wrongly believes was changed, and it's the same as it was...so something weird is going on there. Whatever the problem, Photoshop CS2 behaves correctly, which makes the "It's OS X!" claim sound very fishy indeed.

tacit #20271 01/24/12 02:54 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm with you T. One of the guys defending Chris, very smart guy, but think he is misguided, he is on windows which does not have the issue says:

I wonder how he determined it's looking at the "last accessed" date. That would indeed be wrong operation. Chris, that should be easy to determine.

For what it's worth, on Windows the very same concepts apply (though the implementation is of course different), and I have never seen it myself nor heard anyone else claim this problem has happened to them on Windows. I'm not all-knowing, but it seems to me to be Mac-specific.

By the way, I think in context the word "touch" has more specific meaning than he has led you to believe. "Touching" a file in the Unix world usually means changing its modification date, not the last accessed date.

kevs #20278 01/24/12 11:29 PM

Touching a file using the Unix command "touch" changes the modification date, but I'm not talking about using the Touch command. What I mean is when another application looks at the file.

At the end of the day, here's how I see it: Photoshop is saying "This file has been modified" when the file has not been modified. That's a problem with Photoshop, and it's the wrong thing to do.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard