for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mbp internal kbd/trackpad needs a nap
#1461 08/19/09 12:50 PM
OP Offline

I've had this happen maybe four times in the last year so far so it's not a frequent issue but it does have my attention. I'll be using my computer and all of a sudden the trackpad becomes unresponsive as though the computer has hard frozen. The keyboard also is not responsive. But the clock continues to show the seconds elapse. The caps lock light won't turn on either.

I got out a usb mouse and plugged it in and it works fine. System profiler still sees the top case under the usb bus. Nothing i tried would wake them up short of what I knew would do it - put the computer to sleep and wake it up. As expected, the trackpad and keyboard resumed working.

I checked the console, system, and all logs in Console and found nothing that indicated a problem or resolution.

So is this an issue anyone else has seen? This is the last pre-unibody mbp, running 10.5.8.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: mbp internal kbd/trackpad needs a nap
Virtual1 #1484 08/19/09 04:47 PM

Sorry, I'm posting this from the same model MBP running 10.5.8 and current on its assorted software, and FWIW I've never seen that (yet).

alternaut moderator
trackpad/button quits working
#2016 08/25/09 04:33 PM
OP Offline

I've had this happen on rare occasion with this macbook pro (last aluminum) but it's starting to become more frequent. The trackpad and mouse will just stop responding, entirely. System Profiler still sees it and it's on the USB bus, but the mouse can't be moved or clicked. Keyboard works fine. Ext usb mouse works fine.

The fix so far I've found is simply to sleep it, and wake it back up. I have the hotkeys memorized now (cmd-opt-eject) since I can't pull sleep from the menu. (I didn't try to close the lid but I'm betting that won't work either since the sleep sensor is in the trackpad?)

It's possible this is only happening when waking it from sleep, my memory on the events isn't very clear but it's a distinct possibility, in which case it's an issue of the trackpad not waking from sleep reliably.

Anyone else seen this?

I did look in console and there wasn't anything relevant in the logs.

Re: trackpad/button quits working
Virtual1 #2020 08/25/09 04:55 PM

Hi, Virtual1

I am wondering if this topic is related to your earlier thread, mbp internal kbd/trackpad needs a nap?

If so, l will merge the two so all information is in one location.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #2027 08/25/09 06:22 PM
OP Offline

hah! so it is, sorry, it's been a long week and it's not even half over yet. I thought I'd posted that question elsewhere.

But looks like I'm outa luck, eh?

Virtual1 #2062 08/25/09 10:45 PM

Virtual1,

Just two links from a general search for your review. I think I have the same model of MacBook Pro as you. I have not yet experienced the freeze you are reporting.

Unresponsive Keyboard and Trackpad problem FIXED/RESOLVED

MacBook Pro 10.5.3: trackpad and internal keyboard freeze

Last edited by dianne; 08/25/09 10:46 PM. Reason: topics merged.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard